Shoutbox

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Shoutbox

Post by phylo_roadking »

Jason, would it be overly difficult this late in the day to introduce a Shoutbox facility on Feldgrau - if only to be able to tell other members to CHECK THEIR PMS!!!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I'll vote for that as well. I find I rather like that option.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Why not just install some form of IM plug-in? I don't know offhand if this is available for phpBB but it certainly is for Invision and other forum programmes. The trouble with Shoutboxes is that they tend to be taken over by the village idiot element. A lot of the messages remind one of those people on trains screaming into their cell phones that they are on the train...

PK
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

In the meantime could Jason just switch on the function that throws up a little notification window that a pm has arrived in a person's account?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

I'm not a great fan of them to be honest.

I have used the Feldpost Shoutbox at times but given its relative low membership/usage at present, the Shoutbox can handle the 5 or so posters at a time that seem to use it.

I would be concerned about its functionality on the more popular sites such as this, where you could potentially have 10's of members posting in it. The message turnover could be very high and unless you have some notification device you could well miss a message as you posted in the main forum sections.

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

I get a pop-up window whenever there's a message in my account.

PK
TPMM
Contributor

Post by TPMM »

Paddy Keating wrote:I get a pop-up window whenever there's a message in my account.

So get I. At lest I used to get such a pop-up, until I switched to Mozilla. After this change I get a pop-up: "Program (Mozilla) didn't allow the pop-ups to pop-up". But this may be regarded as a kind of notification, I reckon.

And I have to agree, that the Shoutbox would have to have a much bigger memory and bigger range of stored "shouts" than on FeldPost to work here.

Pozdrawiam
Don't worry, be crazy ;]
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Andy H wrote:I'm not a great fan of them to be honest.

I have used the Feldpost Shoutbox at times but given its relative low membership/usage at present, the Shoutbox can handle the 5 or so posters at a time that seem to use it.

I would be concerned about its functionality on the more popular sites such as this, where you could potentially have 10's of members posting in it. The message turnover could be very high and unless you have some notification device you could well miss a message as you posted in the main forum sections.

Regards
Andy, with all due respect, feldpost doesnt need any backhanded slams like you posted above. let us rebuild, please.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

phylo_roadking wrote:In the meantime could Jason just switch on the function that throws up a little notification window that a pm has arrived in a person's account?
Phylo, you do that yourself. Go to your profile, and scroll down to the notification area. If you've checked 'yes' for notification, then check your pop-up blocker.

Great, me giving you computer instruction! :shock:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Checked last night and it was set to "yes" okay - set it to "no", then BACK to "yes" and NOW its working okay.....! The reliability and user-friendliness of modern technology!
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

pzrmeyer2 wrote:
Andy H wrote:I'm not a great fan of them to be honest.

Regards
Andy, with all due respect, feldpost doesnt need any backhanded slams like you posted above. let us rebuild, please.
For the love of God Erik it wasn't any such thing and if you cant see that then fine.

Hi Paddy I'm assuming that you mean notification of a PM and not a Shoutbox reply?

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Feldpost Shoutbox viewable screen seems to hold 20messages at any onetime, thus when message 21 is posted, message 1 drops out of view. Thus if you have a higher posting base potentially because the membership base is bigger, you may well have a high and fast message turnover.

Can the viewable Shoutbox area be increased if usage warrants it?

Regards

Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Erik, for what it's worth, I didn't read a slam in Andy's post. It looked to me like a factual reference, as well as not everyone using the Shoutbox. There are some members who never seem to use it at all.

Andy, it is still possible to see old Shoutbox messages, even after they've "dropped off." Double click on the Shoutbox title, and it will take you to an actual thread with all the messages on it.

Don't ask me how it works, I just know it does. PFM!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Tom Houlihan wrote:Erik, for what it's worth, I didn't read a slam in Andy's post. It looked to me like a factual reference, as well as not everyone using the Shoutbox. There are some members who never seem to use it at all.

Andy, it is still possible to see old Shoutbox messages, even after they've "dropped off." Double click on the Shoutbox title, and it will take you to an actual thread with all the messages on it.

Don't ask me how it works, I just know it does. PFM!
Hi Tom

Thanks for that. I didn't know you could double click the Shoutbox, which makes my concern null and void.

Regards