mistakes in Winter War article

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

mistakes in Winter War article

Post by Dragunov »

http://www.feldgrau.com/articles.php?ID=62
This prevented the army from expaning and from getting new weapons and equipment. When the Winter War began, the soldiers were provided with a belt, a national cocade, and most of the time, an old French rifle.
not so sure about the French rifle. i'll look into it. old Finnish Mosin- Nagant, more likely.
The Finnish armed forces emblem, the blue swastika, was originally a good-luck-charm of Baron von Rosenberg, a German benefactor,
baron von rosen, not rosenberg, was a Swede.
Most of the ammo went to the isthmus front, in fact, there were some battles in the north where Finnish riflemen had to fight with only one comb of ammo of 7 rounds, or no ammo at all! There was also at least one submachinegun and one automatic rifle (Finnish made Lahti-Saloranta) per platoon.
'comb' should be replaced with 'stripper clip'. 7 rounds baffles me, Mosins had clips of five. and the Lahti-Saloranta should be classified as a Light machine gun and not an automatic rifle. sorry to be nitpicky.

cheers!
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

yup. the 7 round thing still befuddles me, and French rifles were NOT common (or existant) in the Finnish army.
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
jpollar
Admin

Re: mistakes in Winter War article

Post by jpollar »

Rosenberg error has been corrected. Can anyone verify the other comments made?