HELP FELDGRAU GROW! WRITE!

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
jdoe

Post by jdoe »

Hi.

I found my way back here, finally. I promised JP an article on Finland years ago, didn't get it finished back then. But now I've got more time in my hands (sadly more than I can spend) so I'll get to it again!

To whom should I post it for review?

-Juha-
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Juha, you can e-mail it to either Jason or me.

Oulu.... Hmmmm..... Come to think of it, e-mail me! I have some questions for you about Oulu's history!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
milbay
Supporter

Post by milbay »

Hello and greetings from Froozed Belgium.
So far, I have about 20% of the eucmh pictures and papers online.
This make about 70.000 web pages but the whole thing have to be sorted because some images are 2x 3x and even 5 times online.
Being (at leats trying) to be an archives collectors (after a publiser - Foxmaster Publishing) I had a terrible trouble with language as the over 1 million visitors from http://www.eucmh.com in the last 3 years were almost 50% french and the remainder 50% german-english and dutch.
It was not possible to even try to answer an email because I was flooded like hell.
So - and to be able to keep having some fun in my task - I am republishing my archives in my blog (http://www.olibri.us) and can deal with french peoples.
I will republish also in http://www.eucmh.com but in a "dead" way as this will become a place to put archives online inside a wordpress platforme to allow peoples to talk to each other and make request or answer them.

http://www.olibri.us is my blog. I deal there with my aldays life, my stupid work (international truck driver - almost fulltime in Germany). It also deals with what I see, I like, Dislike etc etc.
Everyone is welcome to add things to the collection if they understand my goal : getting archives online and not yeeling everywhere : I (ME) did that,and only me and no one else.
Worling that way allowed me to put online for the first time since 1945 photos that I didn't even know they were available (Wasserkup Grünhof). It was the same for lot of other pictures that I bought online and scanned immediatly to have them online and available for everyone (FOR FREE) and without stupid copyright.

Being 53 years old I have learned that you can reach a lot more while sharing as while trying to makes money on someone other.

Xmass and Gute rutsch in 2008

Gunter G. Gillot Jr
Route de la Gileppe 43
B-4845 Jalhay Belgique
[email protected]

thanks for reading this experimental english message
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Bonjour et Guten Tag, Gunter! I speak just enough French and German to get myself in trouble in almost any country. However, I just signed up on your site. As of right now, my time is extremely limited, but I'll support the cause at least! I had visited your site previously and found it interesting.

Gluck Auf!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Bump. Never hurts to keep this topic in mind. We always need people to help write articles for the site...
jerijerod
Supporter

Re: HELP FELDGRAU GROW! WRITE!

Post by jerijerod »

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to write a potted history of the Luftwaffe and have a chunk of text on the Sealion campaign. Can i submit bits to Feldgrau?
How shall I do this. Always wanted to have something i wrote published and have been a member/fan of the site for years and would love to contribute in some way.

Cheers

Chris
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Jason, should he just e-mail it to you?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
august
Supporter

Post by august »

how do we start a new topic?
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

I agree that people should write more articles, but I would a lso like to add that that should go with a more active moderation by the moderators.
Good topics. like mine on the german army (at least I think so ;))in 1939 are being polluted by a lot of **** not related to my topic and that's not the only topic or thing happening that shouldn't happen.

I am not saying that I know everything, but I am reluctant to start new topics just because I know they will get polluted and my impression is, that it takes months and months for the moderators to respond in a sensible way, if at all. Again my impression, butI feel that that doesn't happen on AHF or Panzerarchiv.

Just my two cents.
Nicole S.

Post by Nicole S. »

Somebody from the polish fraction? :)

Nicole
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

hmm.. :wink:
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

When I started this thread, I was referring more to articles for the other side of the site.

As far as moderation goes in the threads, I fear that your perception of what needs moderation might be a wee bit different from what the mods see as required.

The forum has rules. The mods have to follow the rules just like anyone else. If a post doesn't violate the rules, we can't change it. We may not agree with what it says, but as long as it's within the boundaries, it's legitimate. Believe me, there are posts we'd like to delete, and posters we'd like to kick in the arse sometimes, but as long as they "color inside the lines," we really can't do much.

We are more than willing, and quite often do, send PMs to posters. We'll warn them that they may be straying, or ask them what the hell they're talking about, but nobody else sees that.

Honest, there is moderation here. We try real hard to avoid over-moderation though, as well.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

Tom Houlihan wrote:When I started this thread, I was referring more to articles for the other side of the site.
That might be, but I feel that in the mean time, the forum has turned into quite a treasure trove of information that's a lot greater than the original articles.
I might even go as far as saying that for the majority of information provided by the original articles (excellent as they are), there are even more informative websites available .
I think that the forum of this site is its strength and keeping it filled with information is therefor a good thing, preferrably without too much politically /nationally colored comments that might add something of value, but mostly add nothing.
As far as moderation goes in the threads, I fear that your perception of what needs moderation might be a wee bit different from what the mods see as required.

a 'wee' :?: (please don't explain what it means. I know what it means.)
The forum has rules. The mods have to follow the rules just like anyone else. If a post doesn't violate the rules, we can't change it. We may not agree with what it says, but as long as it's within the boundaries, it's legitimate. Believe me, there are posts we'd like to delete, and posters we'd like to kick in the arse sometimes, but as long as they "color inside the lines," we really can't do much.

We are more than willing, and quite often do, send PMs to posters. We'll warn them that they may be straying, or ask them what the hell they're talking about, but nobody else sees that.

Honest, there is moderation here. We try real hard to avoid over-moderation though, as well.
Just to get this out of the way, I didn't mean to say that the job of moderation is an easy one, certainly not on sensitive topics like the German army in WW II. Hell, it's probably one of the more difficult 'jobs' one can have and, obviously, I can't see what's going on behind the screens.

The only thing I can see is that writing styles of certain forum-members don't seem to change much, despite attempts at moderation.
bil
Supporter

Post by bil »

I am glad to see this thread-but it makes me feel like an idiot! I got here through a link a while ago,and until I read this,I did not know about the 'other side' of feldgrau! :shock: :? :idea: Thank you! ---bil
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Talking about the "other side" or .comside of Feldgrau..........I'm sorry to see that since the transition to the new software it is still more like the "Dark Side" of Feldgrau.

Lots of articles have there codes messed up and quite a few links aren't working. I realise it must be a humongous task to set this straight but sometimes I get the impression it isn't being maintained (let alone repaired/upgraded) at all!

This is certainly not meant as criticism, specially since I'm well aware that it is a very timeconsuming and unpaid (and undoubtedly ungrateful) "job" but to satisfy my own curiosity I'd like to know what is being done and if there is something of a timetable in place to get it straightended out again.

Best regards,

Paul