Forum user articles

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Forum user articles

Post by Dragunov »

after seeing the conspicious lack (gasp!) of an article on Finland in WW2, I had the idea of forum members writing articles (not that I could write one on Finland). if you think it is a good idea, then we should lay guidelines, and have a critic bar thet would pummel and refine until we submit to Jason (or something). we should all help the poor man to refine this site and make it the best WW2 site in the world!

suck it, N. Korea!
Dragunov
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Dragunov, that would be a big help. Although there are some great articles on the site, there are many aspects of the war that are not covered.

If a few people were able to sit down, and put together some short (1-5 page) articles on things they are knowledgeable about, we could end up with a small library.

Now, if I can just finish up the one I have on the Murmansk railroad... :?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Tom wrote:
Although there are some great articles on the site, there are many aspects of the war that are not covered.
Where are these articles, Tom? On the site home page that we open to when we log on to Feldgrau, I only found the two Highlighted Articles (on the Wilhelm Gustloff and the one under it). Are there more and I'm just not seeing them?

Furthermore, just how far is Jason willing to go with this? I have thousands of deeply researched Luftwaffe unit histories on my computer - all of then written by me from the surviving documentation on NARA microfilm and at BA-MA Freiburg - but each one would take 3 to 5 minutes of Jason's time to install, and therein lies the rub. Jason just does NOT have the time for this sort of thing, as we both know. Therefore, to install this great mass of material on Feldgrau, Jason would have to delegate the work to enthusiastic volunteers. Frankly, I just do not see any of these variables (the interest and the enthusiastic volunteers) present on Feldgrau at this time, much less Jason's willingness to delegate this sort of work to others.

Do you have some thoughts on this?

--Lorenz
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Lorenz, I just worked a double shift, with no computer access. Let me get my facts straight, and I'll get back to you.

Now, I wonder if, as admin, I can insert these articles? Probably not, but I wonder...
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Tom wrote:Lorenz, I just worked a double shift, with no computer access. Let me get my facts straight, and I'll get back to you.
Now, I wonder if, as admin, I can insert these articles? Probably not, but I wonder...
Good. I'll be interested in your findings.
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Hi Lorenz!
Lorenz wrote:
Tom wrote:Lorenz, I just worked a double shift, with no computer access. Let me get my facts straight, and I'll get back to you.
Good. I'll be interested in your findings.
Let's see if I can help you at least in one part of your query.

Feldgrau website, actually has a whole series of articles, basically under each subsection there're dozens of different articles.

For example in Alliierte subsection you'll find:
http://www.feldgrau.com/a-croatia.html (obviously not on pair with a similar sub-section on AHF, but still very good :wink: ), http://www.feldgrau.com/rsi.html
http://www.feldgrau.com/a-slovakia.html
Heer:
http://www.feldgrau.com/xxxxviii.html
Feldzüge:
http://www.feldgrau.com/yugowar.html
and so on in every subsection.

Marko
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

i was also going to point out that the nav system is tricky, especially for someone with a short attention span. like vet interviews, there should be a section called such.

you seem to have the same rank as Jason so i guess you could change things , Tom
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Marko wrote:
Let's see if I can help you at least in one part of your query.
Feldgrau website, actually has a whole series of articles, basically under each subsection there're dozens of different articles.
Hi Marko!

Many thanks for your help. I recall running into Allan Milcic's articles by accident before, but I hadn't seen the others. I guess you have to encounter them by chance while brousing or searching for those topics (i.e., RSI, etc.). I know about the divisional unit histories, of course. Anyway, these articles are very hard to find and they take a lot of patience, as Dragunov said. I wonder how many of them there are? I also wonder if they are auto-indexed through Google and other search engines? By comparison, the articles on Axis History Factbook seems to be a little easier to locate.

--Lorenz
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

so, the big question now:
can we write articles? makes sense if you and Jason are too busy.
if all is go, i shotgun writing one on thy führer's wunderwaffen from the StG to the He162 to the V3 (and some in between)

where is Jason anyways? i PM'd him like a week ago.

ciao,
Dragunov
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Dragunov wrote:so, the big question now:
can we write articles? makes sense if you and Jason are too busy.
if all is go, i shotgun writing one on thy führer's wunderwaffen from the StG to the He162 to the V3 (and some in between)
where is Jason anyways? i PM'd him like a week ago.
ciao,
Dragunov
It's very discouraging, isn't it, Dragunov? If there isn't time to answer our questions, then I guess we must conclude they are not interested in articles, unit histories and other submissions from the members. That's very sad. Between November 2004 and March 2005, I wrote more than 750 unit histories for Axis History Factbook. Marcus Wendel installed them 4 or 5 at a time. I gathered from my many e-mail discussions with Marcus that it took him 3 to 5 minutes to install 4 unit histories of 1 or 2 pages each. It seems increasingly clear that Feldgrau just does not have the time or interest for this sort of thing. :(

--Lorenz
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Lorenz, I don't know exactly what's going on right now. I'm not even entirely sure my new capabilities extend to that area of the site. Knowing my own computer abilities, I'm very reluctant to poke around, in fear of destroying something already up!

I believe that Jason is now in the Police Academy, which out in CA runs a lot differently than in the east. If I'm correct, then his spare time is extremely limited. Unfortunately, I know for my own part, the on-line ball is one of the first dropped in my juggling act.

I know that the interest is there. As to the time, well, all I can say is that I haven't been able to get up with Jason, either, lately. Don't give up on us just yet!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Tom wrote:Lorenz, I don't know exactly what's going on right now. I'm not even entirely sure my new capabilities extend to that area of the site. Knowing my own computer abilities, I'm very reluctant to poke around, in fear of destroying something already up!
I believe that Jason is now in the Police Academy, which out in CA runs a lot differently than in the east. If I'm correct, then his spare time is extremely limited. Unfortunately, I know for my own part, the on-line ball is one of the first dropped in my juggling act.
I know that the interest is there. As to the time, well, all I can say is that I haven't been able to get up with Jason, either, lately. Don't give up on us just yet!
Thanks for your reply, Tom. I'll hang in there and be patient as long as I know I haven't been forgotten. I knew you were working on it, so it was apparent that either J.P. couldn't be located or that an extended pow-wow was underway on the private moderator's net.

My only concern might be that J.P. is now sealed off in the academy and took the keys to the site with him. It would seem to me that his best move might be to delegate a bit more authority to his trusted moderators. These forum-type sites can go to hell real fast when the boss absences himself for an extended period.

Best,

--Lorenz
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Lorenz wrote:Thanks for your reply, Tom. I'll hang in there and be patient as long as I know I haven't been forgotten. I knew you were working on it, so it was apparent that either J.P. couldn't be located or that an extended pow-wow was underway on the private moderator's net.
I'm trying! It would probably help if I was able to learn more about the arcania behind, or inside these infernal machines, though!
My only concern might be that J.P. is now sealed off in the academy and took the keys to the site with him. It would seem to me that his best move might be to delegate a bit more authority to his trusted moderators. These forum-type sites can go to hell real fast when the boss absences himself for an extended period.
That is a valid concern, there's no doubt about that. We all know how things went down hill the last time that happened!

At least now, even though we're not presently able to expand, at least we have a team of moderators that can keep the fires from spreading. Just that in itself is a big improvement!

In the interests of at least getting ready for expansions, would you be willing to e-mail me perhaps a list of what you might be willing to submit? When I get up with Jason, if he'll at least give me the basics for adding, I'll be better able to know where I need to go. I think.

Thanks for your forbearance!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Tom wrote:
In the interests of at least getting ready for expansions, would you be willing to e-mail me perhaps a list of what you might be willing to submit? When I get up with Jason, if he'll at least give me the basics for adding, I'll be better able to know where I need to go. I think.
I will PM or e-mail you on this, Tom.

--Lorenz
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

I wrote more than 750 unit histories for Axis History Factbook.
holy crap! i never really cared about which unit was where and why.well, it's all preference, bot 750 is a big number, regardless.

i can try to write on vehicles/weapons but my time is also limited.

i'd like to know if we can ASAP so i can get something started and contribute to this awesome site.

cheers,
Dragunov