Feldgrau Convention

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
DXTR
Contributor

Post by DXTR »

phylo_roadking wrote:You can't climb on the Reichstag roof anymore - you'd fall through the new glass dome! Very non-PC the REAL "Health and Safety Nazis" would get you first......
well the banner wasn't raised on the dome..

as a visitor I can still get out on the roof, but I would no doubt fall from the roof, while being drunk trying to raise a flag or scream "Im on top of the world"... ups wrong movie/event... maybe I should just settle for the guided tour

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

You COULD always sneak in with a tourist group......

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

OR you could do a Cristo on it during the night. Just hope the Commisar has at least a truck load of rum for that

Some red sheets may be handy too

Paul
DXTR
Contributor

Post by DXTR »

I like it a lot PaulusII - you take the feldgrau photoshop prize with phylo in hot pursuit! Although I am sure that the commisar would have us shot if we were to initate a stunt like that... for being overzealous... or the berliners would have our hides for mocking a rather painfull past..... either way we would be f*****. Perhaps we should just do the guidedtour without the bannerraising...

Anyway I still believe that pzmeyer has raised a rather interesting proposal with the whole berlin 07 gathering (with or without the rum) - under the watchfull eye of Tom..... and the Ironfist of cleaning...

regards
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

Hi all,

I like the sound of the idea. Put some faces to names, some good WWII discussion, one or ten beers, and a wee walk round some historical sites. Sounds like fun.

Lets keep this one on the boil, surely US members would prefer to come to Europe for the significance, but I would also be up for going stateside, although it would be expensive.

Normandie might be another good location.

Cheers,
Jock
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

but I would also be up for going stateside, although it would be expensive.
Getting here might be expensive but once your here its as cheap as chips. Even without the variable exchange rate its still cheaper than old Blighty.

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Anywhere's cheaper than the UK - its the RIDICULOUS accomodation prices. Every B&B or fleapit in the country seems to automatically assume you're staying in business and a company is gonna foot the bill....like even halfway up a glen somewhere :-(
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

phylo_roadking wrote:Anywhere's cheaper than the UK - its the RIDICULOUS accomodation prices. Every B&B or fleapit in the country seems to automatically assume you're staying in business and a company is gonna foot the bill....like even halfway up a glen somewhere :-(
You are so right on that point.

Cheap cars, cheap gas, cheap to eat out, its hard to spend the money over here.

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Cheshire Yeomanry wrote:Cheap cars, cheap gas, cheap to eat out, its hard to spend the money over here.
The hell you say! :shock: You got some money you want to spend? C'mon to Michigan! I'll set you up with a bed and everything! I'll help you spend some of your money!!

:wink:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

I'm tellin' ya..we should really consider it. I think it would be a blast!

I know a few good pubs/kneipe in Berlin that would be great.

How 'bout the Oscar Wilde on Friedrichstrasse? SO far, I've only been tossed out of there once!

PS As far as cheap accomodations go, Let me be the first to claim the guest room at MH's house!

Proposed agenda:

9am "meet & greet"
930 am Start the "SS is Elite" debate
933 am meeting cancelled due to bench clearing brawl
945 am surviviors meet to start Feldgrau drinking contest.

2 am next day, meeting adjourns.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi pzrmeyer,

Would you mind if I skipped the "Meet and Greet" and turned up half an hour late? I just want to be sure I live long enough to at least be in at the start of a debate.

Are Berlin's World Cup security arrangements still in place from the summer? If not, Feldgrau's active membership might be drastically reduced through hospitalisations and long term jail sentences.

Are you sure that Oscar Wilde is quite the image we want to portray? Isn't there a "Krupp Arms" pub, or a "Club 39 to 45" holiday hotel?

Cheers,

An-in-favour-in-principle-but-slightly-wary-out-of-an-acute-sense-of-self-preservation Sid.
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Are you sure that Oscar Wilde is quite the image we want to portray? Isn't there a "Krupp Arms" pub, or a "Club 39 to 45" holiday hotel?
:oops: :oops: ummm...its just an Irish pub, trust me! I mean, the blokes, are friendly, but not in an "Oscar Wilde" kind of way...(stammering) trust me.. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Unfortunately, Cafe Alois closed in '45 and the Gross Lichterfelde canteen is under new management...
DXTR
Contributor

Post by DXTR »

Jock wrote: Normandie might be another good location.

Cheers,
or volgograd... Its cheap.... although I think the banner-raising in reverse on the Mamayev Kurgan will prompt a more physically unhealthy response than the reichstag idea....
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi DXTR,

There was a big Feldgrau convention there in the winter of 1942-43. The German delegates completely trashed the place and the locals have been less than welcoming ever since.

I recommend Bratislava. Relatively cheap, civilised, good beer, central (if you're a European) and without any particular historical hang-ups (unless possibly if you are an irredentist Hungarian nationalist or Gypsy).

Cheers,

Sid.
DXTR
Contributor

Post by DXTR »

sid guttridge wrote:Hi DXTR,

There was a big Feldgrau convention there in the winter of 1942-43. The German delegates completely trashed the place and the locals have been less than welcoming ever since.
Sid:
Now I hear that some of the delegates of the feldgrau convention of 1941-45 even claim that they didn't start the trashing it was the locals who started it....