Feldgrau 1918-1945

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
philippe_jehl
Supporter

Feldgrau 1918-1945

Post by philippe_jehl »

Just wondering why Felgrau site is listed as 1918-1945. I would like to also see discussions about the world War 1 years as well. WW1 is also of interest to me because my Grand-father also served in the German military during the 1st World War (as well as the 2nd World war).
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Will look into it.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Gentlemen!

I'll second that proposition! :up: The Great War of 1914-1918 has, in so many ways, thoroughly influenced Germany of the Weimar Era and the Third Reich. Would it be so difficult (from a computer and program capacity point of view) to just "add" a new research section in this greatest of Forums with the label "World War One" or simply "The Great War 1914-1918"?

Not to mention that it's a very interesting and complex phenomena in itself, well worth studying and discussing it...

Hopeful regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Hi all,

I too would like to see such a section aded to the forum!!

Paul
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

Doktor, the way to added would be to add a category called "World War I" and then subcategories, not some super high tech program :D
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hehehe... Point taken, 17SS! :D As there shouldn't be any difficulties with a WWI category on Feldgrau, hopefully, Mr. Pipes will hear our suggestion and act on it.

Btw, which grade in school are you now attending? Just out of professional curiosity, so I hope you don't mind me asking... :wink:

Regards,

Krollspell
Andy H
Associate

Re: Feldgrau 1918-1945

Post by Andy H »

philippe_jehl wrote:Just wondering why Felgrau site is listed as 1918-1945. I would like to also see discussions about the world War 1 years as well. WW1 is also of interest to me because my Grand-father also served in the German military during the 1st World War (as well as the 2nd World war).
Well either till Jason implements the idea or reject it, there is a WW1 and a Inter-War era area within the Axis History Forum http://forum.axishistory.com/index.php?c=10

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

Oh, hey Doktor!

I've just started Secondary School in year 7! I got lost on the way, and at school it wasn't enjoyable because it was so hot, which I find odd because August-July were VERY cool and I hope it gets cooler quicker so I don't have to burn in the Burgundy tops.
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello 17SS!

I currently teach swedish 8th and 9th graders (14-16 year old) in the Stockholm area and we study the two World wars and the Cold war era very thoroughly in the 9th grade. I can say that all pupils (and yes, that goes for the girls also :wink: ) are, in various degrees but still, very interested in this particular historical era.

And CY!

The AHF has many, and diversified sections connected to WWI and I quite regularly read the posts there with great interest as they contain many interesting quality posts. I still hope though, that Jason will find, or make room for a WWI section here on Feldgrau... Since everything between the years 1914 to 1945 are connected in so many ways, I think that such a section would "complete" the Feldgrau Forum. Just my two cents... 8)

With best regards,

Krollspell
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Cheshire Yeomantry wrote :
Well either till Jason implements the idea or reject it, there is a WW1 and a Inter-War era area within the Axis History Forum http://forum.axishistory.com/index.php?c=10
AHF is irrelevant to this site--what they do or don't do is irrelevant to Feldgrau and I frankly resent the AHF propaganda--post the shiite in the "Other Websites" section where it belongs, not on the main board!

Feldgrau must stand on its own and make its own decisions, according to the desires of its membership.

Cheoshire Yeomantry is a moderator at AHF--not in itself a condemnable thing--but AHF tends to claim the "high ground" because of its membership, even though Feldgrau allows for more freedom of speech. It is this hypocrisy that the Commissar is bound to oppose!

Any further AHF propaganda will earn the 7.62 mm solution..... :D :D :D %E

(P.S, I resigned from AHF of my own free will, so you are free to tell Marcus that he has earned someone who will never accept the primacy of AHF over other sites dealing with the Third Reich's Armed Forces. Although I do not fancy myself an enemy of his.)

Best,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:Cheshire Yeomantry wrote :
AHF is irrelevant to this site--what they do or don't do is irrelevant to Feldgrau and I frankly resent the AHF propaganda--post the shiite in the "Other Websites" section where it belongs, not on the main board!

Feldgrau must stand on its own and make its own decisions, according to the desires of its membership.

Cheoshire Yeomantry is a moderator at AHF--not in itself a condemnable thing--but AHF tends to claim the "high ground" because of its membership, even though Feldgrau allows for more freedom of speech. It is this hypocrisy that the Commissar is bound to oppose!

Any further AHF propaganda will earn the 7.62 mm solution..... :D :D :D %E

(P.S, I resigned from AHF of my own free will, so you are free to tell Marcus that he has earned someone who will never accept the primacy of AHF over other sites dealing with the Third Reich's Armed Forces. Although I do not fancy myself an enemy of his.)

Best,
~D, the EviL
David

I'm aghast at your outburst.

Both sites regularly cite each other as sources and many posters frequent both Are you advocating that the AHF can't be mentinoed as a source to a Feldgrau members answer/alternative to a question?

Whatever your issue was with Marcus or the AHF it surely has no place here, and the use of the word shiite is rather ungracious given the friends you still have there, and the good times you had there.

Not sure what relevance you mentioning that I'm a Moderator there, since many already know that, and those that didn't do now. To what end you felt you needed after all this time to tell Feldgrau members of that fact I'll leave to them. I was knowm as CY on AHF originally, before becoming a Moderator and changing my tag to Andy H..

Your last post within the AHF Mod section regarding your resignation:-
Andy H. is an old friend and that friendship must continue.
You have a strange way of treating your friends David

I hope that we can still remain friends despite whatever has happened at AHF.

Regards
Last edited by Andy H on Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I believe that Jason's original intent was to focus solely on the Third Reich. While the Kaiser's Army certainly had an impact on that which went to war in 1939, they are still different. I would say, off the cuff, that the formative years* for anything related to Nazi Germany started right after the Great War, which gave Jason a starting point.

That said, I don't see a reason why we couldn't add a section for WWII, as long as we made every effort to keep it to topics that directly pertain to WWII. Summer dress uniforms of the Colonial Askaris probably wouldn't fit. Documentation and stories about serving with, or against, the armored behemoths both sides used, and how it effected the Panzerwaffe, would probably be pertinent.

*What's the term I'm looking for that the Nazis used to describe the early years?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello Tom! You asked...
*What's the term I'm looking for that the Nazis used to describe the early years?
The most common term about the early NSDAP period in the twenties that the Nazis themselves used was die Kampfzeit,
the "Fighting days".
Summer dress uniforms of the Colonial Askaris probably wouldn't fit.
Well, why not? You always have the Nazi organization Reichskolonialbund headed by von Epp... :wink:

The connections (and importance of...) between the two World Wars are Legio... 8)

von Epp in Reichskolonialbund uniform

The Flag of the Reichskolonialbund
http://www.1uptravel.com/flag/flags/index.html

Regards,

Krollspell
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Krollspell, thanks for die Kampfzeit! I just couldn't pull it out of my files!

As for the rest, well, there is yet another aspect of the war I wasn't aware of. Here I thought I was pulling some obscure WWI-only item to make my point, and you blew me out of the water!

Okay, disregarding Krollspell's nit-picking ( :wink: ), I think most of us can see the point I was trying to make. I hope...
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
philippe_jehl
Supporter

Post by philippe_jehl »

Thanks all for giving me support on my request. I do see the point of making it 3rd Reich related but many of the things about the 3rd Reich point back to WW1, even most of the original Cadre of the Nazi party were WW1 veterans
How many WW1 veterans also served in WW2? My grand father was drafted into the German army in 1915, served both on the eastern front and then on the western front with a heavy cavalry unit. He was wounded in the stomach After WW1 Alsace became French. In 1939 he was drafted into the French army (since he was now living on French territory). He spent most his service in the French army on sick leave as he had a neighbor doctor, also an Alsatian put him on medical leave. Once the French surrendered , he found the nearest German unit and returned to duty with the German army and served until the end of the war. Other than that I don't know any details. So for me the two world wars are of interest to me.
BTW is there any organization that can tell you information about a German veteran's service (of one not killed during the war)?