Favicon?

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
Soldat7128
Supporter

Favicon?

Post by Soldat7128 »

Hey how about a favicon? (those little icons to the left of the URL)

They only take a minute to make and look neat (I think).

You could just use that Stahlhelm (?) in the upper-right corner of each page.

Thx
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

The emoticon issue has been discussed before. I would love to see somebody make some with different helmets!

Anybody?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

Not "emoticons" Tom...FAVICONS! :D
Many big sites have them...they are quite easy to make and to upload but you have to be the site admin to do that.
(They for sure look professional)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon :[]
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Oops! My bad! I guess on computer working issues, I should just shut the hell up! :oops:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Musashi
Supporter

Post by Musashi »

Hi Tom. The Favicon is a great idea. I've just added it to my forum: http://musashi.byethost31.com/ When somebody uses Favourites it's much simplier to go to a website seeing its icon instead of its address in a jumble of other addresses.
I think the standard helmet from the main page would be characteristic: Image
however its colour is not distinguishing.

Regards,
Krzysiek
Ezekiel 25:17. "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
Musashi
Supporter

Post by Musashi »

OK, you have a favicon in JPEG format here:
and I have the same favicon in ICO format on my hard drive. I think favicon is a MUST, so if you like it, I can send it.
Ezekiel 25:17. "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
Musashi
Supporter

Post by Musashi »

ACHTUNG, ACHTUNG!
Sorry for spamming, but finally Musashi designed something outstanding:

And the favicon is Edelweiss:
I like it very much. It looks very distinguishing :D
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

Oooh....great work Mushashi! :up:

But...do you think people will know what it is if it's so little? :shock:
Musashi
Supporter

Post by Musashi »

M.H. wrote:Oooh....great work Mushashi! :up:

But...do you think people will know what it is if it's so little? :shock:
The ones interested in WWII history will know. Sorry, but it's the maximum size allowed for such icons (16x16pix) and cannot be bigger :( I could have designed a vehicle, but there is a big technical problem - vehicles are wide horizontally and low vertically, while the icon should be square. Therefore something, that is not of square shape does not look good.
I can redesign the icon into 32x32pix and 48x48pix resolution for other purposes - for example to use it in Windows, but as I have already said the proper resolution for the favicon is just 16x16pix and nothing can be done about it :(

MfG,
Krzysiek
Last edited by Musashi on Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

Why not use the helmet then?
It's a sign on the start page too...so people will know it...and it's structure is easy enough to be recognizable even so small....maybe it could be colored?
Musashi
Supporter

Post by Musashi »

M.H. wrote:Why not use the helmet then?
It's a sign on the start page too...so people will know it...and it's structure is easy enough to be recognizable even so small....maybe it could be colored?
That's the reason why I had chosen it first. However there is a lot of empty white space outside the helmet. If just the outline of the helmet is coloured it will not be as distinguishing as the Edelweiss. However if the shape of the helmet is filled it will look much better.
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

I like the Edelweiss, although the helmet is more recognizable. The Edelweiss sort of gives us "elite" status!!

Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

How about a helmet with an Edelweiss on it??? :D

...might be come out as a tiny, dark blub in the end though... :(
Musashi
Supporter

Post by Musashi »

I can just add the little icon is much better visible in fact, than here, because it is gray and the forum has a gray background, either. You can see it clicking this link http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ ... -klein.png and it will appear on a white background and even in the address bar of the forum. Surprisingly it appears to be bigger in the address bar than here. Click the link above and see how nicely the icon looks in the address bar of your browser.

Best regards,
Krzysiek
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Favicons? Emoticons?

Why?

They don't seem to add anything of substance, yet, by their colourful nature, disrupt the visual continuity of threads.

Call me an old puritan, but they all look like diversionary self indulgence to me.

Cheers,

Sid.