Favicon?

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
Musashi
Supporter

Post by Musashi »

Sid, there had been a link explaining what favicon is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon
Read it and then post your opinion.
Do you see a favicon in Wikipedia (the W letter)?
That's it. You will find Feldgrau forum in your Favourites faster if it has a favicon. To clear it up, my proposition is, in case of Feldgrau forum there should be the Edelweiss. Comprendo?

Regards,
Krzysiek
Ezekiel 25:17. "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
Soldat7128
Supporter

Post by Soldat7128 »

Musashi wrote:I can just add the little icon is much better visible in fact, than here, because it is gray and the forum has a gray background, either. You can see it clicking this link http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ ... -klein.png and it will appear on a white background and even in the address bar of the forum. Surprisingly it appears to be bigger in the address bar than here. Click the link above and see how nicely the icon looks in the address bar of your browser.

Best regards,
Krzysiek

I'm getting a blue shape in the menubar (I see the edelweiss but on the page, is there any way to seeing it where it would really be?)
Soldat7128
Supporter

Post by Soldat7128 »

sid guttridge wrote:Favicons? Emoticons?

Why?

They don't seem to add anything of substance, yet, by their colourful nature, disrupt the visual continuity of threads.

Call me an old puritan, but they all look like diversionary self indulgence to me.

Cheers,

Sid.

Well, they don't necessarily add anything "of substance" but they look neat and take only a second to make (we've already expended far more time discussing it then it would take to implement it).

And how do they "disrupt the visual continuity of threads"? They appear next to the URL, nowhere close to any threads. Perhaps, as an "old puritan", you don't understand exactly what favicons are? :wink:
Musashi
Supporter

Post by Musashi »

eurasiacan wrote:
Musashi wrote:I can just add the little icon is much better visible in fact, than here, because it is gray and the forum has a gray background, either. You can see it clicking this link http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ ... -klein.png and it will appear on a white background and even in the address bar of the forum. Surprisingly it appears to be bigger in the address bar than here. Click the link above and see how nicely the icon looks in the address bar of your browser.

Best regards,
Krzysiek

I'm getting a blue shape in the menubar (I see the edelweiss but on the page, is there any way to seeing it where it would really be?)
As I said it IS very nice :D
Last edited by Musashi on Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ezekiel 25:17. "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
Musashi
Supporter

Post by Musashi »

DOUBLE POST. PLEASE DELETE IT.
Soldat7128
Supporter

Post by Soldat7128 »

(trimmed)
As I said it IS very nice :D
Image[/quote]

Yes that's I meant--I noticed you are using Firefox and I do indeed get the favicon with FF, but not with Safari (I'm on a Mac). I wonder why that is, I get most favicons in Safari (which is my default browser).

My only quibble with it is that it refers to only a subsection of the army at that time (mountain troops?) rather than the armed forces as a whole.
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

During the Second World War, German soldiers occasionally pinned edelweiss flowers to their uniforms. The flower was supposed to be the sign of a "true soldier" in the Wehrmacht as it grows only in rugged terrain, generally above the tree line.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Eurasiacan,

Yup, thanks to the above discussion, even an old puritan like me now knows what favicons are.

However, I came to Feldgrau for the narrow purpose of learning more about the German armed forces in WWII. For me Feldgrau is not a tool for exercising web artistry, making political diatribes, testing the boundaries of freedom of expression or any other diversionary activity. Heck, I even get upset when people post in red capitals. Why can't simple words be used without embellishment.

I am a great beliver in KISS - Keep It Stupid Simple.

Cheers,

Sid.

P.S. This is just a minor cultural issue. It is no particularly big deal either way. I just happen to prefer substance to appearance, contents to packaging, etc.
Soldat7128
Supporter

Post by Soldat7128 »

Rajin Cajun wrote:During the Second World War, German soldiers occasionally pinned edelweiss flowers to their uniforms. The flower was supposed to be the sign of a "true soldier" in the Wehrmacht as it grows only in rugged terrain, generally above the tree line.

Gotcha. I guess that still limits it to the army (I'm assuming air force and naval personnel never did this), but seeing as how the name of the site is "Feldgrau" that wouldn't necessarily be inappropriate. :D
Soldat7128
Supporter

Post by Soldat7128 »

Taylor Collector wrote:I have heard that the Fallschillmjager would wear the Edelweiss ocassionally, and at least one U-Boat used it as a symbol for their crew specifically on the sidcap.

At the sime time, the white Stalhelm was a symbol for the Grossdeutchsland Division. So, surprisingly, the Edelweiss actually represents all three services better in my humble opinion. Of course, I think that a Reichskokade could be appropriate (although I doubt many will agree with me) or the M-43, which was used pretty extensively and, in one form or another, by almost all services in all of the theatres. I doubt it could be represented well though. One final suggestion, use either an Eisenkruez or possibly the ribbon for that medal. Those could look quite nice.

TS Allen

I also thought about suggesting the Iron Cross but that is already used over at the Axis History Forum and in my opinion runs the risk of drawing the ire of people who don't understand the difference between it and a swastika.

Re: the Reichskokade, if it's what I think it is, (three concentric circles within another, going to black-white-red largest to smallest) to me looks more like something from World War I, maybe that's just me.

Perhaps some variant of the Stahlhelm could be created which would be not as specific as a single division; I still think it would make the most sense but others may feel differently. Perhaps we could set up a poll and have a vote on the whole thing?
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

The problem wih the Stahlhelm is tht it isn't particularly subtle. Using it marks us as simply another "Nazi" site. On the other hand, it takes some intelligence to figure out the edelweiss and may not attract so many idiots....

Best,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Soldat7128
Supporter

Post by Soldat7128 »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:The problem wih the Stahlhelm is tht it isn't particularly subtle. Using it marks us as simply another "Nazi" site. On the other hand, it takes some intelligence to figure out the edelweiss and may not attract so many idiots....

Best,
~D, the EviL
That's a very good point.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Well, we could always use Jason's avatar! Who's gonna recognize that!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Taylor Collector wrote:Tom, I know you joking, but that would be like replacing one of the soldies up on the top of the forum with Major General Abizaid... :shock:
:oops:

That's what happens when you're tired. I was actually thinking of his old avatar! My bad. Sorry about that!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Musashi
Supporter

Post by Musashi »

I remember his old avatar - it was an emblem of 5. Gebirgsjaeger Division. Take into account a white avatar (with just black outlines) would not look well on a white background of an address bar of an Internet browser.

Regards,
Krzysiek