Can a member delete one's own posts?

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
Helmut Von Moltke

Can a member delete one's own posts?

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

hi, is it possible for Jason to make it possible for forum members to delete their own posts? Sometimes members and I double post, and moderators sometimes aren't on those threads.

thanks a lot,

Kevin.
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

No. That is only what moderators and administrators can do. The best you can do is to bracket that moderator should delete it.
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
John W. Howard

Deletion

Post by John W. Howard »

Hey Folks:
I am not sure why the forum is set up that way, but we moderators do try to zap double posts, when we find them. If you have one of your own we have missed, let us know by PM where to find it. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I am pretty certain users can delete possts up to a certain amount of time after it's posted, and/or before another post is added to the thread.
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

It was possible to delete your own posts over at AHF-until one member started going back through several years of his old posts and deleting them. This ruined several very good threads and made them incomprehensible. Marcus stopped it because of the amount of damage that could be done if others followed this example. If allowed this action could seriously damage a forum
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

As a "standard" user, I am able to "delete" every posting, written by me.

"Deleting" means editing the post, for example low down to three ...

What was the question...?

Michael
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

michael kenny wrote:It was possible to delete your own posts over at AHF-until one member started going back through several years of his old posts and deleting them. This ruined several very good threads and made them incomprehensible. Marcus stopped it because of the amount of damage that could be done if others followed this example. If allowed this action could seriously damage a forum
I did this too, in many fora, to "erase" personal information, a given right, in most fora, I see no problem with this, you...?

Michael
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

damage a forum
No, a user, who does not write anymore is forgetten within days/weeks/months, we all know these users.

And, as long, as I have the given right to edit, I will use this, I write some stupid "scheissendreck" sometimes, ja.

Michael
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

I write some stupid "scheissendreck" sometimes, ja
More than just sometimes.... :D
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

pzrmeyer2 wrote:
I write some stupid "scheissendreck" sometimes, ja
More than just sometimes.... :D
You made another useless point, Mr. "Buchenwald-Motto", like before...

I hope, that you, find the time, to visit the KL Buchenwald, only once in your lifetime.

http://www.buchenwald.de/

I am feeling very sorry, for you, and other people

Michael
Shadow
Patron

Experimentation

Post by Shadow »

Can I delete this post ??
Signed: "The Shadow"
Shadow
Patron

Re: Experimentation

Post by Shadow »

Shadow wrote:Can I delete this post ??
Answer: .............. NO ......... even when I tried.

But I can "edit" my posts if I make mistakes, which I do more often than I like to admit. :?

Thanks for asking the question, Kevin. :D
Signed: "The Shadow"
Nordwest

Re: Experimentation

Post by Nordwest »

Shadow wrote:Can I delete this post ??
HeHeHe, what about this..., the three dots are still "fashion"...

Michael
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

I hope, that you, find the time, to visit the KL Buchenwald, only once in your lifetime
you know? I've been there. I actually re-visited last year. It was a very interesting place. I liked the history exhibits on display in the large building out back, as well as a glimpse in the prison cells in the main building. The ones about Martin Sommer in particular.
It was also nice to see where that thug Thaelmann was executed.
Too bad most of the barracks have been leveled...but I didn't need to visit it to learn what happened there, nor do I need it as a crying place to confront some sort of politically correct collective guilt that your generation of Germans clings to. Its just bricks, mortar, dirt, and weeds, like anywhere else.

I actually had a great-uncle die there. Of course, that was under the administration of your friends, the NKVD/MGB/KGB/Stasi.

You made another useless point
come to think of it, I find very few of your posts have any use. This is a German Military History website, not your personal blog to enlighten us with tonight's German TV B-movie melodrama, your favorite motorcycle, washed-up 80s slut-singers, and what threads/photos/links about mercenaries and Bosnian war crimes you feel are too intense for the rest of us across-the-pond simpletons to look at. Of course, I'd hate to see you get banned, so please, keep your contributions coming.

Mr. "Buchenwald-Motto",
The thing is, "Jedem das Seine" is an age-old saying, and quite harmless, as all words truly are. By seeking its banishment, you forever give ownership of it to the Nazis.
John W. Howard

Enough

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Michael and PzM:
I think you two have argued enough OK? Both of you bring your own value to the site, and I suspect your differences are not as great as the two of you might think. The "Jedem das Seine" issue was a difficult one; anyone who runs a site dedicated to exploring Germany during the WWII period has to be aware of anything which might cause misconception. The phrase "Jedem das Seine" sounded harmless enough to me; I did not know it was over the entry to Buchenwald. Had I known so, I might well have thought PzM was a neo-nazi devotee, but I know PzM is not one and our other members know the same. BUT new members and prospective members, especially those from Europe who know that "Jedem das Seine" was over the entry-way to Buchenwald, might think differently, and they might choose not to frequent our site because of it. But I think PzM makes a very good point, and one I subscribe to wholeheartedly: "By seeking its banishment, you forever give ownership of it to the Nazis." A brilliant statement!! I am not willing to delete that phrase from history, but I think it wise not to use it on this site!! Best wishes to both of you, and stop sniping at one another.
John W. Howard