Updated rank listings for users on the site

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hey Wolfkin! Nice avatar, which unit is it?

Best,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hello David!

The emblem is of the 305th Infantry Division. I believe that they used it after Stalingrad, when they were rebuilt and sent to Italy. I fell in love with it when I saw it!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Ah, now I understand the emblem--the remnants of an infantry division shipped to sunny Italy after the freezing hell of Stalingrad chooses a mermaid for an emblem--makes perfet sense to me. Great choice Wolfkin! :D

My Best to you and your family, old friend.

Very Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

Hello!

It doesn't really matter to me. However, one comment I would like to make is the QUALITY of posts by the members.

There are members here who have been around for many years who have post counts of between 100 and 800 or even less, but these are all high quality posts that contribute a great deal. Then there are members here who have been around for a year or less and have 1000 or more very low quality posts.

This is why I believe that post counts do not matter. It is the quality of one's posts that matter.
*Starts to turn face at Helmut von Moltke*

But so far, the only "expert" is Sid with 5000 posts, and he isn't a spammer
No, no, no. You don't understand. Sid doesn't do spam, and I was trying to say whoever does 2,000 SPAM posts is an expert, while the one with 400 very informative posts is only an enthusiast. One of the reasons behind why I said that was the amount of posts you make, but that is of course off-topic and should be discussed via private messaging, MSN Messenger or another contacting program.
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Hi all,

What's up with this discussion about quantity versus quality posts and the related "grades" members get? Unless you are advocating the installation of a Quality Control Board forget about rating quality.
So that leaves rating the quantity of posts which (as shown by previous posters) is quite senseless due to the quality of many (the majority of? including many of own!) posts.
I'd say scrap the ratings altogether.

Paul
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

So Paulus, you are trying to say that there should just be a "Member" rank if you have 0 posts or more, and no other and "special" ranks can be claimed by anybody by the QUALITY?
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Hi 17th,

I'm not sure I understand your question,
can be claimed by anybody by the QUALITY
what on earth do you mean?

Paul
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

What I mean, is that the only rank is called "Member" which you get when you register, and there is no other ranks and that if your posts are of 1-10 quality then Jason could perhaps hand out "special" ranks. Did I phrase that better?
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Yes that's phrased a lot better, thank you.
I see what you mean now and I too would like some difference to be apparent, at first glance, between one member and the other when it comes to the quality of posts. But I think there is a big BUT. One 't' as you see :wink: .
Of course it's entirely up to Jason BUT would you want to burden him (or the moderators for that matter) with the extra work of qualifying peoples posts? I get the impression that they are busy enough as it is!
There are 8000+ registered members that should then all be reviewed. A daunting task to say the least.
Then there is the question of who's an expert in what. Someone who knows everything about the SS may know nothing about the Battle of Monte Cassino, someone with tremendous knowledge of Heer OoB's may know nothing about the Kriegsmarine. So an expert in one field may be a novice in another field. Of course there are exceptions, Christoph and Leo for instance would get my instant approval for being an 'Expert'.
Then there is the question of how to grade those that are not so obvious as Leo and Christoph. How to make individual appraisals of members and fitting them into a category that will, however carefully worked on, still be quite subjective?
And besides that, wouldn't that work the "why him and not me?" questions and ensuing squabbles in hand?
I think that, in the end, it is more trouble than it is worth. But I would like it though!
As for the current system, that is used on many forums, I think it has no value what so ever since I strongly believe that quality should be the only factor that counts in 'grading' people.
So that brings me to the point of view that the whole rating system might as well be chucked out the window.

Paul
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

How about:

Member (your average Joe)
Contributor (supporting member...with money or knowledge)
Administrator

...that would be enough I would think.... :beer:
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

how about inventing an enitely new rank structure, like the SS?

then everyone ould be thoroughly confused as to what means what?

like unterscharfcontributor, standartenenthusiast, and obersturmbannexpert? :shock: 8)
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

pzrmeyer2 wrote:how about inventing an enitely new rank structure, like the SS?

like unterscharfcontributor, standartenenthusiast, and obersturmbannexpert? :shock: 8)
No, please. This isn't a playground. Just member, contributor and chatterbox (I like that one) will do fine I think.
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

pzrmeyer2 wrote:how about inventing an enitely new rank structure, like the SS?
Njet! :down:

Michael
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

evidently no one finds my lame attempt at humor funny.
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

MH is completely right about the Administrator and Moderators (how did I overlook that? :shock: ). As for the Member/Contributor? Fine by me, if I can get Paypal to do it's thing :D