Repetitive "Below the Line" spamming.

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Repetitive "Below the Line" spamming.

Post by sid guttridge »

Many posters include the same quotes, jokes, etc. at the end of all their posts. Sometimes these are actually longer than the post itself.

This only tends to clog up threads with idle repetition and serves no useful purpose.

Could the moderators please bring this under some sort of control?

Cheers,

Sid.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Sid, while agreeing that there is certainly a good deal of nonsensical material in the signature lines, the issue has already been pretty much settled.

http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18549

Personally, the selfish side of me likes the opportunity to keep my website advertised every time I post! Maybe someday, it will pay off. :D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Tom,

I read your link. It referred to a different issue.

I refer to what you mention in your second paragraph.

Yours is less of an issue as it offers a service. However, if wasteful, tedious, valueless repetition is to be stopped there cannot be exceptions. Besides, for your purposes there is an outlet in a Links section.

Cheers,

Sid.
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

However, if wasteful, tedious, valueless repetition is to be stopped there cannot be exceptions.
It's a question of opinion, isn't it. You could be describing the majority of posts by a minority of posters here, couldn't you? If people want to have inane signature lines, then let them. For one thing, they serve as handy indicators as to the probable IQ level of the person you might be about to waste even more bandwidth in answering.

PK
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Paddy,

It is hardly a matter of opinion that it is repetitive, is it?

There will always be inane repetitive posts. God knows, I've produced a few in my time. But at least let the offending posters have to work at producing them. This will discourage them from being too prolific.

The problem with the below-the-line tags is that they are automatic. Idle posters can clog threads up with wasteful, tedious, valueless repetition at no effort to themselves.

Feldgrau suffers as a result.

Cheers,

Sid.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

sid guttridge wrote:I read your link. It referred to a different issue.
Specifically, you're right, but the way I read Jason's comments, he considers the signature lines rather unimportant. Apparently, if I understand correctly, text in those lines uses minimal bandwidth, whereas the photos discussed in that link burn up a lot of it.
Yours is less of an issue as it offers a service. However, if wasteful, tedious, valueless repetition is to be stopped there cannot be exceptions. Besides, for your purposes there is an outlet in a Links section.
If Jason eliminates the signatures, then I'll have to rely on something else. Hopefully, something that won't get buried! :[] I'd be foolish not to take advantage of the opportunity thought, wouldn't I?

I find myself agreeing with Paddy's assessment of the content of the signature lines though. In many cases it does give you a clue as to the temperment of the poster.
But at least let the offending posters have to work at producing them. This will discourage them from being too prolific.
I'm not sure. I think some of these guys have a whole list of repetitive, foolish comments and questions all written out that they periodically copy/ paste onto the forum!

A good day to you, Sirrah!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi tom,

On a personal level, I can't fault people taking personal advantage of something which is allowed.

However, my point is to question whether it should be allowed. It seems to be far more damaging to Feldgrau than constructive.

Cheers,

Sid.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

sid guttridge wrote:However, my point is to question whether it should be allowed. It seems to be far more damaging to Feldgrau than constructive.
Understood. My understanding is that it's really neither damaging nor destructive, but methinks we'll have to address the point to Jason specifically.

Besides, nothing's perfect! If this place was perfect, we wouldn't need mods!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

I don't see what the big deal is. Sigs are on all forums all over the net and don't distract. I personally like them because at times they can give an interesting insight to a person's perosnality. Of course if you are a communist this would bother you, actually even communist forums allow their use.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

So, is the avatar in my signature alright?
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Cajun, would you mind keeping politics out of this?
The purpose of differentiating between whatever political beliefs anyone may have is completely nonsensical in the matter signatures.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Alright, this has gone from a discussion of signatures, to the start of a political argument. So, for the sake of peace, I will lock this, pending Jason's review.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I don't see a problem with signatures at this time. I prefer people keep them small and discrete so as to not clutter threads, but they are a customization option each user has. I can and will (and have) asked users to trim their sigs if they get overly big or gaudy, etc. Keep it simple and clean and everyone will be happy.