Veteran Photos used at top of Feldgrau

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
Chris von D..............

Veteran Photos used at top of Feldgrau

Post by Chris von D.............. »

A vet made mention to me that he "did not want to end up like those photos at the top of Feldgrau".

I have been reflecting upon this. I think the photos honor the memories of those shown and I thought to myself how I would feel about it if I was up there.

I came to the conclusion that I would want my name listed too. That people can see this is me and I have a name and photo and people loved me in my time and I loved them.

I would therefore like to see names put to these people. Having them merely as decoration concerns me. I wouldn't want my grandfather shown in such a manner, but with his name, that is different.

What is everyone's view on this?

PS

I think Feldgrau is an excellent website and provides a much needed venue to meet and share information.
Patrick
Enthusiast

Post by Patrick »

Every time I log on to Feldgrau, I pause and think about the persons in those photos while the page loads. I wonder what their names are, their service records, and their fates. I wish I could click on the individual pictures and pull up a biography.

I don't believe that displaying their pictures dishonours their memory in any way, it just makes me want to know more, which is what this site is all about.
Cheers,

Patrick

When I was single, I had three theories on raising children. Now I have three children and no theories.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

These pictures have been explained before here in the Forum, I just don't remember when or where... But if memory serves me right, the second picture from the right is of Jason Pipes' father-in-law or great father-in-law!?

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Mike Miller
No one really notable in the pictures.

From left to right:
1. Heer soldier.
2. Officer of the Ordnungspolizei (possibly Hauptmann der Schutzpolizei [or Gendarmerie] or lower).
3. Early Allgemeine-SS man.
4. Heer NCO with marksmanship lanyard
5. Member of the Organisation Todt
6. BDM girl
7. Kriegsmarine sailor
8. Slovak Army soldier
9. Gefreiter or Obergefreiter of the Heer with EK II and Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen in Silber.
Jason Pipes
Mike got them all correct. In particular the photo 2nd from the right is indeed my finaces grandfather, Alojz Esterle. He served in the Slovak fast division during WWII

All the answers you need. :wink:

best,
Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

For Jason!

What's the story on your fiances' Grandfather, Alojz Esterle? Did he survive the war? How much fighing did he have to endure, and where?

I haven't really looked if you have written anything about him on your website. And Jason, if these questions are to personal for you and your fiancé, just tell me to bugger off!

With best regards,

Krollspell
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

No worries. He has one hell of an interesting story, to say the least... A colorful one, too. Both my fiancees grandparents fought in WWII. Alojz started in 1941 and took part in the offensive against the Soviet Union and fought on Southern Front all the way into the Ukraine and Caucasus region. In 1943 his regiment was captured after his commanding officer switched sides. The other fellow didn't take part until late 1944 and early 1945. He was in an ad-hoc Slovak anti-partisan unit that fought with Hitlerjugend squads against partisan and Soviet troops alike. He didn't see much fighting since the last period he was involved with was very sporadic and confused. He told some stories to me about not wanting to kill anyone at one point and firing an Mg42 over the heads of some enemy troops, and the HJ troops he was with yelled at him to "aim lower, aim lower!" I have their papers here relating their war experiences but have not yet been able to translate them all...

As for the others, I think it does a great service to remember their service through their, often times, annoymous photos. These are all photos of men and women who served and likely could have died during WWII. I came across their photos in various places and by putting them here they are remembered in some smal way, a way they would never be if the photos were simply to rot in my albums. I agree though, I wish I knew their names and backgrounds... Maybe I will switch them out at some point for those I do have more info on.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Thanks for a fast answer Jason! :D

A fascinating story indeed, of your fiancé's Grandfathers. I hope that you'll be able to post the whole story about them some day...

About the photos, I think it's a nice touch that they're all unknown humans that participated (willingly or forced to) in the war. It's very easy to get blinded by the famous characters, the highly decorated, the heroes, the villains and so on... A vast majority of the people that had to live through the war were just ordinary human beings caught up in this hell. I think that the anonymity of these pictures are gripping...

With best regards,

Krollspell
Dirlewanger
Contributor

Post by Dirlewanger »

I agree, a subtle tribute to the unknown soldier so to speak,

The mortal remains of a soldier from one of the WW1 battlefields where New Zealand troops sustained heavy losses, Gallipoli, in the Dardanelles, was brought to New Zealand last year and his remains entombed in a beautiful mausoleum to the "Unknown Warrior" After all these years he could be Turk, Canadian , Aussie or Brit.
Whatever, he was a victim of gross mismanagement by the English High Command
Ost Ost Oskar