FORUM DISCIPLINE WHEN POSTING AND REPLYING

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
Jake
Contributor
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:01 am
Location: UK

Post by Jake » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:49 am

Tom wrote:I guess that's why I gritted my teeth, and volunteered to be a moderator.
My respects and admiration, Tom! 8)

Rosselsprung -
Molobo may be among us... :wink:

Regards
Jake

User avatar
Andy H
Associate
Posts: 836
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:01 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Andy H » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:05 pm

Just as an example - the banned "Panzermahn" at AHF springs to mind - over 2000 posts with pro-nazi tendencies, must have been 100's of warnings (must have been like several daily) and after the final round of posts he gets banned .... for posting pretty much the same nazi fanboy stuff as in the previous 2000 posts.
Sometimes its easier to see a clown if he's wearing a clowns outfit than a suit :wink:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die

Beppo Schmidt
Associate
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:25 pm

Post by Beppo Schmidt » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:42 pm

Molobo and Obserwator got banned on AHF, and they carried on for quite a bit before a mod getting tired of it and giving them the boot. However, I know of this second hand from MH, so I wouldn't know exactly what they did or said.
Obserwator was banned from AHF for making an endless series of anti-German posts, that sound uncannily similar to those that Torquez makes on here. I seriously believe Torquez and Obserwator are the same person.

462cid
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:12 am
Location: Boston Massachusetts USA

Post by 462cid » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:53 am

What are the limits for posting a picture? I have some sized for one website that are very big here
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why must you lie and cheat, and trample people under your feet? Don't you know it is wrong?-
the Clash

Jan-Hendrik
Patron
Posts: 1983
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 8:42 am
Location: Wienhausen
Contact:

Post by Jan-Hendrik » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:02 am

1,80m , blond hairs , a moustache ....


Jan-Hendrik

Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:36 am

Sorry but we already have enough forums moderated and run by control freaks. We don't need that sort of thing here. Feldgrau functions perfectly well as it is. If you want to dragoon people and play at Thought Police, stay on websites like the Axis History Forum and do it there. Don't wreck this place too.

The only trouble I have ever had on Feldgrau was directly due to some AHF members coming here and accusing me of sabotaging the AHF website. A lot of the names in this topic are familiar from the AHF, which has been accused of functioning as a "honeypot trap" for extremists. I do not know if this is true or not but it strikes me that some of you people spend a disproportionate amount of your time ranting about "neo-nazis" and accusing people of being nazi sympathisers.

One of the people you target here as a "neo-nazi" sympathiser, because his political outlook doesn't meet with your illiberal, prodnosing approach to "discussion" has never caused any trouble on MCF. He might well approve of nazism but why are you all so excited about it? You'd do more good in the world directing that fervour against, say, the Bush regime or globalisation. The problem with some of you people is that you provoke more discord than you prevent because you are, to put it simply, intellectual or pseudo-intellectual bullies.

It is significant that moderators on websites like the AHF spend so much of their time hitting the delete button. Over-policing people usually causes more trouble in the long run than it prevents. We have almost 4,000 members on our forum website, MCF, very few of whom are disruptive. We have moderators but they rarely have to disclipline people. This is because we have a strict rule that silliness etc be confined to The Pub.

Stay on the AHF and similar websites or start your own website up but don't start trying to impose your baleful presence on this presence, to paraphrase Norman Mailer.

PK

Paddy Keating

For Jason Pipes re moderators.

Post by Paddy Keating » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:06 am

Edited.

User avatar
Andy H
Associate
Posts: 836
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:01 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Andy H » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:33 pm

We have almost 4,000 members on our forum website, MCF, very few of whom are disruptive
Hopefully like most sites if the loonies stay away, but guess what even the MCF is asking for more Mods and you have very few problems :?
We have a few Moderator openings, in some of our forums.

I would like to see all forums Moderated.

If anyone is interested in moderating a section that has no moderator, please PM me if interested.
http://www.militariacollecting.com/inde ... opic=20793
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die

User avatar
Tom Houlihan
Patron
Posts: 4301
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:05 pm
Location: MI, USA
Contact:

Post by Tom Houlihan » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:30 pm

Paddy, I think you've seen enough of my postings to know that censorship and heavy handedness are not part of my kitbag. I've no problem with people who have intelligent discussions.

What bothers me is the recent spate of insults, mudslinging, and other assorted unpleasantries. There's no way in hell that all members are going to like all the others. It's just not human!

Still, it is perfectly possible to have a disagreement with someone you don't like, without resorting to this type of slanderous bashing. Remember, the mark of a true diplomat is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell, and have him looking forward to the trip!

The edit, delete, and ban functions must be used sparingly, and with great thought. It would be much better if there was no call for those functions, at all.

And nobody's trying to take over Jason's site. I wouldn't want it! Unless, of course, he threw in every book and reference he owns! :wink: By his own admission, he's not been able to spend the time here he would have liked. So, what's the harm in some of his Kameraden stepping up to help him out?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!

Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:31 pm

So...why don't you volunteer to be a moderator on our website, Cheshire Lad? Joking aside, we are looking for moderators but, as I said, our moderators spend little or no time 'policing' members. We are just looking for people who will help to build various forums on our website whereas you chaps seem to be all about deleting, banning and generally trying to control people. There's a difference.

PK

User avatar
Tom Houlihan
Patron
Posts: 4301
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:05 pm
Location: MI, USA
Contact:

Post by Tom Houlihan » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:37 pm

Paddy Keating wrote:...as I said, our moderators spend little or no time 'policing' members. There's a difference.
No argument there! But when I've been on your site, Paddy, I've not seen a lot of things that needed "policing!" Maybe that's the difference, the way people behave?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!

Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:49 pm

CY, I have nowt personal against you. Just stating my opinion. I respect the fact that your response was (a) courteous and (b) intelligent, in that you sought to turn something on our website against my arguments. Now, that's debate! That's something to which we should aspire, isn't it? Here we are, poles apart, having a civilised difference of opinion.

Servus!

I think higher of you than I previously did. QED...argument, even when heated or robust, is better than censorship!

Tom,

I hear you! I really do! D'ye think I don't eye that big red DELETE or BAN button from time to time? You think you have moron trouble here? You should see of our throwbacks!

Look, gents, I know I came on a bit strong but I really don't think censorship is the best way to deal with 'troublesome' posters. I don't delete posters on my website, even when they say the most awful things about me. The mark of an adult society, also in microcosm, is its ability to support alternative viewpoints and, also, troublesome people. When you start resorting to 'winning' a debate by deleting what someone is writing, even if it's the most offensive bilge, are you not actually showing fear and weakness?

Yes, zero tolerance for obvious trolls and morons. But my worry is that people whose viewpoints don't gel with certain chaps who achieve moderator status will find themselves victimised. We've already seen "Panzermahn" slagged off when, I have to say as a major webmaster, he has been nothing but totally correct on our website. If he is a nazi, that's his business. If he wishes to express such opinions, he should be allowed to do so. Slagging him off because you don't share his opinions and, worse, banning him is simply not on if you claim to be running a public forum.

Too many of the people proposed as potential moderators here are politically polarised to the left, real sons of the 60s and 70s. They clearly derive satisfaction from witchhunting supposed "nazis" and controlling discussions about the Third Reich etc etc. I am quite leftist myself, in a very Strasserite way, which, I guess, poses some sort of threat to some of these people.

I don't thinki Feldgrau needs AHF-style control freakery.

PK

Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:59 pm

Tom wrote:
Paddy Keating wrote:...as I said, our moderators spend little or no time 'policing' members. There's a difference.
No argument there! But when I've been on your site, Paddy, I've not seen a lot of things that needed "policing!" Maybe that's the difference, the way people behave?
Ah...Tom! If you look closer, there's loads of things that 'need' policing! LOL! Maybe we're just too lazy to do it. But really, even when things get really nasty, most of the time we let them run their course. We use "The Pub" as the trashcan. We can have a zero tolerance policy on our mainstream forums because we offer a venthole in the shape of The Pub. It's like the no-limit system on the German autobahns. You can go as fast as you can on the freeways - or some of them anyway - but if you exceed the limit in town, near a school or something, by 2 kph, you are screwed!

See what I am getting at? Of course you do...cos you're a sentient being. We had a load of trouble recently from some members because of the lack of control in The Pub, as you know, but in the end, that said more about them than it said about MCF.

As you say. no control needed on MCF. Nothing to police. Why? Go figure!

P

knieptang
Enthusiast
Posts: 527
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:43 pm
Location: Deutschland

Post by knieptang » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:14 pm

Paddy, I do not know "your" own Forum.

And I think, here on Feldgrau 99,9% is fine, self-controlled, even without to many Work by the Admin or the Moderators.

An "overcontrolled" Forum like the AHF is another Case...

Michael

corderex
Enthusiast
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:01 am

Post by corderex » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:34 pm

knieptang wrote:And I think, here on Feldgrau 99,9% is fine, self-controlled, even without to many Work by the Admin or the Moderators.
Michael
I have to disagree with you on this one, Michael. Feldgrau has become a nest for personal attacks and insults of every kind between members.

Locked