Can we have a forum for off-topic chatter?

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
The Phonebook

Can we have a forum for off-topic chatter?

Post by The Phonebook »

Read the title.

I think it'll be useful for those who are tired of discussing Germany and WWII and want to discuss something else. :D
Patrick
Enthusiast

Post by Patrick »

Try Soldatenheim. That's what everybody else does.
Cheers,

Patrick

When I was single, I had three theories on raising children. Now I have three children and no theories.
SvenW
Contributor

Post by SvenW »

You are tired after just four posts? :shock:

Drink some coffee! :wink:
The Phonebook

Post by The Phonebook »

No, I meant, It'll be useful in the future, when I'm burned out.

Thanks for the link.
Robert Rojas
Supporter

RE: Can We Have a Forum For Off-Topic Chatter?

Post by Robert Rojas »

Greetings to Chairman Pipes, his august lieutenants and the community as a whole. Well sir, old Uncle Bob would like to echo, at least in selective part anyway, citizen Phonebook's sentiments as expressed within his now vintage introductory posting of Monday - October 11, 2004 - 5:57pm. Now and again, a topic of interest which was originally relevant to both Germany and the Second World War will invariably spin-off into another dimension of reality which transcends both Germany and the Second World War. To illustrate my point-of-view on this "issue", we do have a thread entitled as ANYBODY INTERESTED IN VIETNAM? which is ensconced within the SOLDATENHEIM section of the forum. In addition, there is presently a thread entitled as BEST TANK IN W.W.II? which is slowly creeping into the realm of contemporary armored fighting vehicles. The thread which is entitled as BEST TANK IN W.W.II? is located within the WEAPONS AND EQUIPMENT section of the forum. I am curious why citizen Phonebook's original inquiry was never addressed by a member of management. Well, that's my initial two cents worth on this potentially contentious matter - for now anyway. Thank you for your continued indulgence in respect to this latest inquiry of mine. As always, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day down in Baghdad-By-The-Bay.
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Ah, Uncle Bob, the Vietnam thread was originally posted in 2003, when it was ressurrected, it just didn't seem important enough to bother deleting. Now it has slipped back to the second page of Soldatenheim and appears to be harmless.

I haven't read the "Best Tank" thread lately, but after reading several hundred--if not several thousand--posts on that subject over the years, the title does not inspire me.....

As to the original inquiry, in the past, Soldatenheim degenerated into a muddle of flame-wars when it was open to posts on contemporary subjects.
Oddly, neither Feldgrau nor AHF have ever managed to find a satisfactory solution to accomodating folk's normal desire to talk about other matters. But that, I suppose, is simply the nature of things.

Best,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Robert Rojas
Supporter

Post by Robert Rojas »

Greetings to both brother David C. Clarke and the community as a whole. Howdy Ushijima-san! Well Dave, thank you for your technical insights as noted within your posting of Friday - May 19, 2006 - 6:11pm. As a relative newcomer to this organization, old Uncle Bob was not at all aware of the overall magnitude of the flame-wars which impacted the SOLDATENHEIM section of this forum. It must have been as colorful as anything seen within THE LOUNGE section of the Axis History Forum. Hopefully, a happy and ruthlessly policed medium can be found to allow the potential reinstitution of a truly alternative off-topic section for the neighborhood-at-large. I guess time will tell. Well, that's my latest two cents worth on this topical nonstarter - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid you a copacetic day over in the Garden State of New Jersey - or is it Dai Nihon?
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee
Commissar D, the Evil

:D :D :D

Uncle Bob, I honestly don't think I would be exaggerating or insulting Feldgrau with the observation that anything that happened in the AHF Lounge paled by comparison to some of the flame wars in Soldatenheim in the past. That's precisely why Jason limited the discussions to only those with some connection to WWII.

(Oh yes, that "Commissar vs. Akira" thing is still "up in the air" at the moment. Although I did get a kick out of Sid's line: "Better the devil that you know....")

Very Best,
David
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

I think it'll be useful for those who are tired of discussing Germany and WWII and want to discuss something else.
not possible, the Soldatenheim section is closed for that. People who post off topic things which have nothing to do with WWII are considered spammers, so be careful! :wink:
Robert Rojas
Supporter

Post by Robert Rojas »

Greetings to both citizen Helmut Von Moltke and the community as a whole. Well H.V.M., in reference to your notation of Friday - May 19, 2006 - 9:31pm, it is old Uncle Bob's belief (rightly OR wrongly) that citizen Phonebook was alluding to the creation of an off-topic section of the forum which would be distinctly separate from the Deutschecentric Soldatenheim section of the forum. To be certain, as far as figurative examples go anyway, a discussion gravitating upon anybody's interest in Vietnam is certainly not appropriate under the guise of the Soldatenheim section of the forum BUT neither is such a legitimate historical interest tantamount to "spam". It is my assertion that there is a relevant place for such discussions - whether the neighborhoods's orthodox purists like it or not. It's just some friendly food for thought. Well, that's my latest two cents worth on this topical nonstarter - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid you a copacetic day over in Taiwan.
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

R.Rojas wrote:
It is my assertion that there is a relevant place for such discussions - whether the neighborhoods's orthodox purists like it or not.
I have recently read that there are more than 100-million web- and blog- sites up and running around the world. It seems very strange that none of these would be primarily devoted to the war in Vietnam, in which I served, I might add. So the need to retrofit Feldgrau, a web site that appears to be exclusively devoted to the World War II German armed forces and the conflict in Europe, into one with a broader agenda that accomodates discussion of a subject that has been well provided for elsewhere on the web, I must confess escapes me. To note just one web site as an example, military.com has several threads on Vietnam where the old veterans like myself discuss various aspects of the war. We would welcome Dr. Rojas there if he would care to join us.

Respectfully,

--Lorenz
Robert Rojas
Supporter

Post by Robert Rojas »

Greetings to both brother Lorenz and the community as a whole. Well sir, in reference to your notation of Saturday - May 20, 2006 - 6:09am, old Uncle Bob will heartily concede and never dispute with you that there are, in obvious fact, a myriad of fine alternative cyberspatial venues which concentrate on historical matters other than Germany and its association with the Second World War. With that said, as a relative newcomer to this organization, old yours truly tends to spend far more of my discretionary time perusing through the forum's various sectional archives more than anyother participatory neighborhood activity. Much to my mild annoyance, it has been my observation that a healthy number of these theads tend to drift off on irrelevant tangents which have absolutely nothing to do with issues, for a lack of a better term, that are "FELDGRAUIAN". The sheer propensity of these irrelevant tangents leads me to believe (rightly OR wrongly) that there is a respectably sized constituency which would justify the creation and support of an independent section for clearly peripheral discussion. And no, it would NOT require the forum's management to engage in a substantive retrofit of the forum to make such a creation possible. Finally, I would like to thank you for your invitation to the MILITARY.COM site and I do appreciate your concerns as it relates to this overall subject. Oh, and by the way, I am neither a Ph.D nor am I an M.D. - sorry! Well, that's my latest two cents worth on this topical nonstarter - for now anyway. In anycase, I would like to bid you a copacetic day from sea to shining sea.
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

R.Rojas wrote:
Oh, and by the way, I am neither a Ph.D nor am I an M.D. - sorry!
Please forgive me, dear Uncle Bob! Your fine prose is of such superior construction that it led me to an arbitrary and unfortunately false assumption. Nevertheless, please accept that were I the president of one of your fine universities in your beautiful state of Oregon, I would see to it that an honorary Ph.D. in English Literature was bestowed upon you at the earliest opportunity. Your preeminent vocabulary skills and deftness of hand with our mother tongue are truly remarkable.

To the subject at hand, and at the risk of belaboring what has already been stated, Feldgrau's SOLDATENHEIM seems to serve the purpose of AHF's LOUNGE, now that Brother Marcus has taken measures to ban political discussion. The same rules more or less prevail there, and I believe there have even been several threads opened for the discussion of Vietnam-related matters. I am sure you will be very welcome there, since your postings are nearly always meaningful, contributory and enjoyable.

Kind regards,

--Lorenz
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

Please forgive me, dear Uncle Bob!
What is this going to be, a "Uncle Bob Shrine", with little or no reference to this Feldgrau Forum?

A reference to the non english speaking users at this forum, to learn, or better shut their mouthes?

He is posting long, what could be condensed in a single sentence, besides his recapitulating Bla-Bla, in every posting.

So, what is SPAM?

Michael

P.S. This "Uncle Bob" is just nagging around about the Feldgrau Forum rules, and whatever comes in his mind...

Did he share an informative posting, a photo, a link, NADA, NJET, NEIN.
Commissar D, the Evil

Nordwest, your hostility is entirely unnecessary. While most members have probably grown accustomed to it, I have to assume that newcomers, like Uncle Bob, aren't used to your random viciousness. So, please refrain from insulting folks.

Or, if you can't refrain, please consider some suitable form of apology, perhaps in the nature of Jiketsu .

Sincerly,
~Akira, the EviL