What has happened to this forum?

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
Sigurd Helge
Supporter

What has happened to this forum?

Post by Sigurd Helge »

I haven't posted, nor have I visited the Feldgrau Forums for a while but having now been ploughing through some forum sections and reading some threads I get a very disturbing feeling.

What has happened to this forum? I get the feeling that the quality is going down in certain aspects. It seems that the forum is being flooded by a lot of unserious people who don't contribute a bit. Instead they are allowed to go on and on insulting respectable members and at the same time pursuing weird and clearly strange biased agendas (often right wing d:o).

The tone in a lot of posts are both rude and highly unprofessional and lack dearly in respect for higher knowledge and good research.
The wrong-doers are making a serious attempt at robbing the forum of it's credibility.

I fear that this conduct and the presence of not too serious members are degrading to the forum and the risk of scaring away sincere and serious members is obvious. This has to change.

Am I right, or? What are your opinions?

(An edited version of this message was originally posted in a thread at the "Personalities and Award holders" section)
GMY
~Sigurd Helge

"Believe those who seek the truth. Doubt those who claim they've found it"
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello!

I totally agree with you that the forum took a disturbing turn. Although I must admit I am involved into some of the "nasty" threads because I sometimes can´t help to comment on some certain kind of threads/comments.
I think one of the main reasons is the lack of moderation which has sometimes good sides for the posters but often bad influence on the overall "atmosphere".

Well, but in the end I think it is up to us all to make this again a place it once was.

\Christoph
Der Untermensch
Supporter

Re: What has happened to this forum?

Post by Der Untermensch »

Sigurd Helge wrote:What has happened to this forum?
Some time ago I complained about this forum being about the trees, but not about the wood. I meant discussion about the role of German armed forces in XX history being either discouraged or ignored.

Now I have it. Threads and posts on criminal nature of these or those are mushrooming. Probably you count me among those wrongdoers here, and you are very much right. I am trying not to be rude, but provocative, arrogant, militant, threatening - for sure. If this is the way you get it - I apologise. It has not been intended for you, though I admit you are suffering from this.

So why am I acting this way? Disturbed by what I feel is people posting unacceptable stuff, I failed to persuade the admin to introduce some law and order here. I think I have waited long enough. Hence, I changed my strategy. I decided to emulate these guys from an opposing angle, aggravating the situation even more. Hopefully this will eventually lead to some action on part of the admin. If myself and some of my friends from another side get banned, this would be acceptable to me. I am ready to admit mistake and agree that places like internet fora can not handle discussion "on the wood instead of the trees". If just myself get banned - this will be a clear message to those who fancy "non-political research on German military forces"
Gebirgsjaeger
Enthusiast

Post by Gebirgsjaeger »

Well, I guess I gotta pick my nose, too. But I´ll promise to be better!

:oops:
Der Gott, der Eisen wachsen ließ wollte keine Knechte!
Patrick
Enthusiast

Post by Patrick »

Jason sent an email around a couple days ago - he had a hard drive crash and lost his files that were accumulated over the last 10 years or so. I imagine that he is spending his time taking care of data recovery rather than policing this website.

When you stop tending the garden, it fills with weeds.
Cheers,

Patrick

When I was single, I had three theories on raising children. Now I have three children and no theories.
Sigurd Helge
Supporter

Post by Sigurd Helge »

Patrick,
I'm aware of Jason's problems but I'm afraid this issue is much older than his computer breakdown.

Maybe I'm overreacting but other than in the "Soldatenheim" section I find it a bit tedious constantly getting exposed to an ever increasing mediocre cocktail of all sorts of unprofessional fairy tale telling, personal opinions being presented as "facts", general disrespect for those who really do have something to say mixed with a generous portion of insults often topped with right-wing opinions.

Most of the members are serious and sincere but it worries me that the serious member cadre is more and more being dilluted with "forum hooligans".

It just is just not worthy such an excellent web site.
GMY
~Sigurd Helge

"Believe those who seek the truth. Doubt those who claim they've found it"
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

There are a few people who seem to be contributing more negative than positive comments. I rather think that they should be collectively ignored, even though I too am guilty of responding to some of the tripe.

I enjoy the time I spend on this forum, and I've learned a lot here. I think that we need to help Jason by policing ourselves to the extent possible. We (myself included!) need to pay a little more attention to what we say, and maybe control our tempers a little more. Regardless of our intent, we're all human (I think) thus subject to error.

Sometimes, prior to posting, I think we need to re-read the whole thread, and see what direction it's heading. If someone is uneducated, but misguided, then we can help. If someone comes in here wanting to stir up trouble, then just leave him alone. Tell Jason, and he can be officially PNG'ed.

We can't dump all of this on Jason and the moderators. Especially since I got the same e-mail from Jason. To continue the simile, his garden got destroyed, so he's trying to replant it. He doesn't have time to worry about every little weed popping up. Let's all give him a hand.

<stepping down from pulpit...> :wink:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Sigurd,

I think you've hit the spot. I too find the "Soldatenheim" section full of cranky posts with little or no relevance to what I believe the site to be about. The most recent strings seem to be started as excuses for verbal fisticuffs and are increasingly full of sexual and racial slurs.

I read Jason's mail and hope that he'll soon get things back on course.

As you say it's not worthy of the site.
Regards

Howard
Brian67
Banned

Post by Brian67 »

I also agree with you. At the beginning I tried to discuss with some of this people, but I think the best way (for me) is, that I don't red, what they post, so I can't tell you if I think it gets worse.
http://www.panzergrenadierregiment63.de.vu
http://www.3ss.totenkopf.de.vu

Die Dummheit des Menschen und das Universum sind unendlich; wobei ich mir beim Universum nicht ganz sicher bin! (Albert Einstein)
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

OK, where to begin..
Patrick- your comment on gardens and weeds hit the spot!!
Segmund- You are correct on the half truths going as facts comment you posted here.
I have read on WWII for the last 20yrs, seriously, though I can honestly say I am not an expert on any one unit, battle, person etc. THOUGH I have no doubt that there are ppl on these posts that are.......or maybe think they are?? :D
With all the researchers and authors and veterans that are online in these forums there HAS to be some way to stop the ppl that offer their "false facts".
I tend to get really agitated by Igor, though he is not the only one I am sure, who goes on saying things about the Russian forces being everything great.....Sorry Igor, but your comments about Russian forces NOT fearing SS units, or SS units never winning a battle holds no grounds. They might not of FEARED them, but they sure as heck didn't want to battle them. Only in the later battles when they OUTNUMBERED the Germans in everything were the confident with winning. That goes for any army actually!!
I know your family members served with distinction in the Russian forces and maybe told you stories but facts are facts. The Axis forces couldn't of done what they did if they weren't WINNING. Most of us here have family members that served in WWII in some way or other and I will be the first to admit my grandfather wasn't always correct. Not every tank was a Tiger and not every unit he fought was SS. Though every unit he fought, fought hard.....no one wants to die or be captured.
I guess I am "ranting" as I really love reading the posts and questions and especially the advice each member gives to another. I would like to see ppl word their comments with respect and maybe believe what the facts say.........

SORRY for the long read......
also, could everyone plse goto the books forum and read my questions....I NEED to find some books that I have requested.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Heinz Kling has been banned from the site. I am going through all postings and will be removing anyone else that has posted in a like manner. I am also about to set up a number of forum members as moderators to assist in keeping discussion in line. Because all my old email was lost, if you previously contacted me regarding being a moderator and have not heard back from me, please contact me again!

Thanks for your patience and understanding!
AAA
Contributor

Post by AAA »

BRAVO
Musashi
Supporter

Post by Musashi »

The weed has been pulled out :D
101stDoc
Associate

Post by 101stDoc »

Excellentus!