Did Russians Fear Germans SS most?

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

Annelie wrote:Helmut Vpn Motke
80 Latvian SS men fighting to the death in close quarter combat asking and giving no mercy in the air ministry, even though they knew that all was lost, but they still wanted to get down as many of the hated enemy as possible.
I take it you mean those 80 men whom fought in the battle of Berlin?
yes, I mean those Latvian SS men who fought in Berlin. :D :[]

helmut
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Oh yes they fought so brave to the last stand although they knew that they would be welcomed with open arms and live a long life when they would surrender to the russians.

\Christoph
Helmut Von Moltke

Christoph Awender wrote:Oh yes they fought so brave to the last stand although they knew that they would be welcomed with open arms and live a long life when they would surrender to the russians.

\Christoph
Received with open arms and live a long life when surrendering to the Russians? Have you heard of what happened to the Vlassov army? They, if they fell into Russian hands, would be killed or sent to the Gulags..... :(

helmut
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Helmut Von Moltke wrote:
Christoph Awender wrote:Oh yes they fought so brave to the last stand although they knew that they would be welcomed with open arms and live a long life when they would surrender to the russians.

\Christoph
Received with open arms and live a long life when surrendering to the Russians? Have you heard of what happened to the Vlassov army? They, if they fell into Russian hands, would be killed or sent to the Gulags..... :(

helmut
Helmut I was ironic..... You say it was brave how they fought to the last stand although they knew everything was over. They knew what would happen to them so they were forced to fight till the end. They had no choice. If you call that heroic is your choice.

\Christoph
knopfler

Post by knopfler »

Christoph Awender wrote:
Helmut Von Moltke wrote:

\Christoph

helmut
Helmut I was ironic..... You say it was brave how they fought to the last stand although they knew everything was over. They knew what would happen to them so they were forced to fight till the end. They had no choice. If you call that heroic is your choice.

\Christoph
you are so true, they dont have choice, sunt tzu said it, you alway have to give your oponent an exit, if not he will fight to the end, with great force.
and yes the ss were so afraid, and thts why, the revange
"The national arms have been covered with glory. The French troops behaved with value in the combat and its commander with stupidity" Ignacio Zaragoza,
Handzar
Banned

Post by Handzar »

Given this, I must wonder as an American, or "Auslander": Is Simpson's opinion--and, likewise, the opinions of many others--based upon the criteria of 'racism' (there are those who argue that non-Germanic SS warriors (say, Kama and Handschar) couldn't hold a candle to their Germanic brethren [read: Leibstandarte, Das Reich, Totenkopf, 4th Polizei, Wiking, Prinz Eugen, etc.]

He said this?

Wow, this guy is either really dumb or on something.

Handschar's racism surpassed the racism of 7.SS Prinz Eugen in 1944.
I have records of many German officers from Wiking and 1.SS that said so (who served with the Bosnians).
The hate for serbs the Bosnians harbor was and still is a million times worse than that of Prinz Eugen.

And another thing.
Until June of 1944, Handschar's name was SS-Freiwillige not Waffen der SS.
Himmler had already granted the Bosnians the Germanic status, and recognized their racial standings in very early 1943.

This guy should so his research.
Semper Fi!!!!!
AAA
Contributor

Post by AAA »

Helmut Von Moltke wrote:A intresting example of this would be 80 Latvian SS men fighting to the death in close quarter combat asking and giving no mercy in the air ministry, even though they knew that all was lost, but they still wanted to get down as many of the hated enemy as possible.
The Latvians fight to death in Berlin canard again - it is simply not true.

The German leadership of the citadel was cynical enough to leave the Latvians as a rearguard while they themselves attempted to break out (ie they were left to fight to the bitter end, I guess after the war the Germans assumed it had also eventuated so). The Latvians at the aviation ministry of course had no interest in doing so. They attempted to exfiltrate westwards during 2nd May, and most of them fairly successfully surrendered to the soviets after losing the "incriminating" parts of their uniforms. According to Aivars Petersons that of the ~350 Latvians who fought in Berlin with the SS 15th fusilier battalion, there were more than 250 survivors counted after wars end - which hardly indicates fanatacism.
Handzar
Banned

Post by Handzar »

See, you just cant trust books. If you want to understand a unit, read the book written by a vet, son of a vet, a person of the same country that interviewed the vets...
Some people who never heard of the unit get the bad impression from lazy writers and begin to defend a lie in an argument.

It's despicable what some of these people talk about in books.
Shaming so many people.
Semper Fi!!!!!
Helmut Von Moltke

actually the source for the Latvians was Richard Landwehr, a well known author. However, 80 Latvians weren't the whol unit, so perhaps it might not be that fanatical...
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

Helmut! Stop resurrecting threads, you post-count wannabe :x
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
Helmut Von Moltke

17 SS Panzer Grenadier wrote:Helmut! Stop resurrecting threads, you post-count wannabe :x
I answered this thread today when it was one day old. please do not make accusations, I won't start old arguments, but if there is something meningful in old threads, why not restart one? Even Commisar David said it was ok (in another one). Also I'm not a wannabe, I haven't made a ridiculous amount of post today, right?
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Stop. Both of you.

If anyone has a problem with another member, you bring it up to a moderator or admin. You do not attempt to correct or chastise another member. Period.
Last edited by Tom Houlihan on Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

The word fanatacism should be exchanged for the word desperately.

Latvian Legion by Artur Silgailis

Page 237

It is regrettable that despite the great effort and human sacrifice given by
the Latvian people, their country could not be saved from a second Soviet Union occupation. The Latvian soldiers fought desperately to the very end.
They did not fight for any foreign ideology or interest but simply for the freedom of their homeland and its people.

Pages 182 - 205 has some interesting reading
The Fate of the 15th Latvian Division During the Last Days Of The War.
Annelie

Post by Alex Coles »

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:46 am <Schmeiker>

Posted : Mar 13 2006 <HvM>

See, you are resurrecting threads to get your psot count up. This will be the last from me for this should be taken by PM but you really do want to have a high post count don't you? <answer by PM please>
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

Uhh maybe you should learn to read 17th SS.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:48 pm

That was the post right before HvM. I also imagine when Tom said to stop he meant right away not for you to continue sniping at someone who hasn't done anything wrong.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.