ROA weaponry/14th SS weaponry

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

J.P. Slovjanski
Supporter

ROA weaponry/14th SS weaponry

Post by J.P. Slovjanski »

Does anybody have photos of ROA soldiers using MG42s? I understand that they usually used Soviet weapons, but surely they must have had some MG34s and 42s near the end of the war. Also, I am trying to find out if ROA or 14th SS ever had MP44s.

Photos would be much appreciated.
19KUBAN43
Supporter

Post by 19KUBAN43 »

In all the photos I've seen of the Russian and other Eastern Volunteers I have seen very few German weapons in use. I have seen mostly K-98's in use. I have seen 1 photo in the hard to find book "Warsaw Rising" by the authorGunther Deschner, that shows a member of the Kaminski Brigade (Russian Nationalist Liberation Army) using a G/K-43 semi-auto rifle. The book also shows Azerbaijani troops using Czech ZB-26 machine guns. Most of the other photos I've seen of Russian Volunteer units show them armed with typical Soviet weaponry, the Nagant and the PPSH-41. I have a book that shows General Vlasov reviewing troops in early 1945, and they were broken down into 5 man groups, 3 men armed with Nagants, 1 man with a Tokarev SVT-40 semi-auto and the 5th man was armed witha DT-28 Light Machine Machine Gun. I have never seen any evidence of the MP-44, MG-42 or MG-34 in Soviet use.
A man who takes a stand is sometimes wrong. A man who never takes a stand is always wrong.
19KUBAN43
Supporter

Post by 19KUBAN43 »

I just did some further research, and I found images in the book "Warsaw Rising" (the same book I mentioned in the last post) that show Russian units armed with MG-42's. In fact the photo I discussed of the Kaminski Brigade member with a G/K-43 semi-auto also shows another member in his unit with an MG-42. There is also a photo of an Azerbaijani unit armed with K-98's and 3 MG-42 machine guns.
A man who takes a stand is sometimes wrong. A man who never takes a stand is always wrong.
J.P. Slovjanski
Supporter

Post by J.P. Slovjanski »

The Russians using MG42s, are they ROA? Where can I get this book?
19KUBAN43
Supporter

Post by 19KUBAN43 »

I bought my copy of "Warsaw Rising" at a used book dealer. The book was published in 1972 by Ballantine Books. I do not know if it has ever been re-printed. It will be hard to find anywhere. I'd do an internet search using "Warsaw Rising by Gunther Deschner" and see what you can find.
ghost
Supporter

Post by ghost »

Hi

in my archive I have a document concerning the 14 Waffen-SS which reads as follows:
To Kdr.d.14 Waffengren.div.d.SS Ukrain Nr. 1, Marburg/Drau
From SSFHA, Amt. II Org.abt.I.B, 3rd April, 1945
"On the order of the OKW, the following weapons are to be handed over from the arsenal of the 14 Div: 6,600 MPi [sub-machine guns], 80 Zielfernrohrgewehre, [rifles with telescopic sights] 54 k.Karabiner 43. [semi-automatic rifles]. The aforementioned weapons are to be surrendered to the 10 Fallschirmjg. Div. and rapidly transported to Graz. Army Group E has been notified and is responsible for overseeing this order."

Re MP44, I will check my photo archive, but at this stage I would suggest that elements of the division did have this weapon. In all probability it would have been units such as the assault platoons (in particular one former from WGR 31). The Ukrainian commander of this unit wrote in his memoirs:

"It was an assault unit with hand picked troops all equiped with new automatic weapons new "sturmgewehr with 32 round cartridges. Besides this we had several new MG 42s'"

hope this helps

Mike Melnyk
Norman aus Lemberg

Post by Norman aus Lemberg »

Mike is right. Division did have Mp-44. In my research I read of an account that the heavy artillery troops were equipped with Mp-44 in the early stages of battle of Brody, but soon had to give them up due to lack of ammo. Pioneers were also equipped with them.

Here's a pic from my site (the very last photo, the very last men of the right - its very hard to see, but he is wearing MP-44. I this photo is featured in M. Logushe's book and its easier to spot the gun with the actual photon on hands)

http://ssgalicia.onestop.net/general.html

P.S. I found interesting that division was also equipped with number of flamtrowers.
Howler

Post by Howler »

In the book "Cursed Soldiers" by Chuev S. there is a photo of Kaminskiy Braigade's soldiers - a unit of mashinegun users - they all have MG-42 as main weapon (Sorry, can't scan this picture).
Jin Roh
Rand
Supporter

Post by Rand »

Hey J.P. Slovjanski, try http://www.abebooks.com I found about 31 copies of this book for sale at cheap prices too.

Rand.