Defense of Iasi-Chisinau 1944

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

rhaught

Defense of Iasi-Chisinau 1944

Post by rhaught »

Ok,

After taking time off and going to Iasi and my wife's family visiting here in NJ, finally able to get back (can't wait to hear from Sid and Victor again). After reading on the defense of Iasi in 1944 and hunting for Luftwaffe and Heer/SS maps on the region I have tracked down some areas of fighting in and around the city, mostly on the outskirts. However, looking at the lines of battle on the internet and in some of my books, visiting the old parts of Iasi (was fun explaining why I didn't spend time with the "family") having difficulty finding the exact locations! How can I find out about the units locations around Iasi, (Moldova (Bessarbia) is too much of a pain to go to right now, though the Prut was nice to see! Victor and Sid, as to one of my old posts will update it (about my wifes grandfather), lets see what you can come up with here! By the way, have actually pinpointed the locations of the 8th SS in western Romania as well as a part of the 7th SS so will be heading there to do a personal recon of the area next summer I hope! Maybe get together in Bucharest before heading to Iasi?
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi rhaught,

Try looking at the maps in "Third Axis, Fourth Ally".

8th SS Division served in northern Transylvania over September-October 1944. 7th SS Division never served in Romania, although much of its manpower and its commander were Romanian Volksdeutsch. However, 4th SS Division made a failed attacked from Serbia on Timisoara (I think) in western Romania in early September 1944.

Cheers,

Sid.
rhaught

Post by rhaught »

Sid,

Actually have the book and using it! Talked to some veterans of the 7th SS, the division wasn't sent into Romania but a small part of it was, according to them and guess they would know, to hopefully stop the Soviet thrust through the Balkans. The maps I have are of western Romania and Moldavia. Have also researched Grossdeutchland at Tigru-Frumos and will hopefully talk to someone who went to GD's reunion and asked questions for me. Now, can you or Victor suggest how to get the exact locations of the Romanian forces? Would love to go hiking along the way to see what you find (already talked to the embassy in DC about some stuff).

Thanks
Rob
Victor Nitu
Supporter

Post by Victor Nitu »

This is an aproximate positioning of some Romanian units during the battle of Targul Frumos.