Battle of Vienna 1945

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Danny
Contributor

Battle of Vienna 1945

Post by Danny »

I´m looking for basically anything usefull dealing with the Battle of Vienna in 1945 and specially if you know a good site online.

I´ve always considered it interesting, that I have not yet found a book just dealing with this topic.

There is one i´ve read by Major Carl Szokoll "Die Rettung Wiens 1945", but this mainly deals with his personal story not to name it an autobiography that also deals with the battle.

Oh, and by the way, I´d appreciate every single picture you might find.

Thanks

Regards

Danny
pimberg
Supporter

Post by pimberg »

Danny,
Try the book by Manfred Rauchensteiner: "Der Krieg in Österreich - 1945". Other Rauchensteiner books aren't too bad either
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

You may also take a look at the book by Georg Maier "Drama zwischen Budapest und Wien: Der Endkampf der 6. Panzerarmee 1945"
coldam

Post by coldam »

Servus Danny,

For some detail,
more from the civilian side

go to
http://www.thirdreichforum.com
click on 'third reich'
and look for:

'the day AH died'

let me know about your search,
thanks!

...peter

...peter(coldam
Danny
Contributor

Post by Danny »

Thanks for your help,

still I am greatfull for any additional help.

@ Peter: Servus and thank you very much for sharing your memories and giving me the hint were to find them. I have to say, that I was awsome to read, specially seeing these terrible events with the eyes of a child was really interesting, and in a way helped to refocus, away from the military only perspective...

Do you have any memories of Vienna?
Or maybe still know of people that would share their memories?

Servus Peter

Regards

Danny
Napoleon1944

Post by Napoleon1944 »

I am also looking for some info particularly on the Florisdorf bridgehead. I could really use a map of the area.
Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden »

Will Fey's "Armor Battles of the Waffen-SS" has some detail on the defense of the Floridsdorfer Bruecke area. Units of the 2nd SS Panzer Div Das Reich were engaged there (I beleive they lost their last tanks there).

There are some then-and-now photos of the bridge on the "Third Reich in Ruins" webpage http://www.thirdreichruins.com/vienna.htm .

Geoff Walden