Jacob-Riefenstahl

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Uli
Enthusiast

Jacob-Riefenstahl

Post by Uli »

Anyone know anything about Wehrmacht Major Peter Jacob, film legend Leni Riefenstahl's wartime husband? I've seen a photograph of the couple, and Jacob's got the Ritterkreuz at his throat. Pretty smart-looking soldier, judging by the photo. I've contacted a couple of Riefenstahl devotees, and they know surprisingly little about Jacob. Much obliged.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Uli!

Oberleutnant Karl-Peter Jacob, company commander in I./Geb.Jäger-Rgt. 143, belonging to the 6. Gebirgs-Division was awarded the Knight's Cross to the Iron Cross on June 13, 1941. The 6. Gebirgs-Division saw heavy combat un the Greek campaign in April 1941, smashing through the Greek Metaxas Line and advancing on Saloniki.
I don't know the exact reason to why he won the award, but a qualified guess is for action during the Greek campaign, given the date of the award. During the latter part of the war, he was a Major and I think he fought on the Italian front.

Leni Riefenstahl met Peter Jacob on a train heading for the Dolomites as she was researching locations for the movie "Teifland" in 1941. They married on March 21 1944 in Kitzbühel. and divorces in the Spring of 1947.
If you need more marital information, the you can always read Leni Riefenstahl's memoirs wich are called (surprise!) "Leni Riefenstahl - A Memoir"

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Uli
Enthusiast

Post by Uli »

Thank you very much for your prompt response, Herr Doktor.

Actually, you answered two of my questions at once, one of them not posed on this page in my initial query. I recently wrote to web administrators representing two of Leni's webpages, only to be told--one-- that they had little background on Major Jacob, and two, that they didn't know where Leni had filmed her mountain scenes in at least two of her films. I naturally assumed she'd had her eyes on the Dolomites, and you helped me there as well, and I do appreciate it. I'm thinking of visiting the Dolomites in the near future, and am simply doing a little research before getting underway. Again, very much obliged.