Crioleni

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Bruno
Supporter

Crioleni

Post by Bruno »

Dose anyone know the location of Crioleni ? (somewhere on the eastern front)
aris

Post by aris »

it look like a Greek name
AZ
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

It migh also be Romanian. The suffix "-eni" is found in many Romanian place names
Bruno
Supporter

Post by Bruno »

Thanks Sid,

It may be Criuleni in Moldova (Moldowein/ Moldau) near the capital Chisinau ( maybe Kischniew?) the spellings keep changing I guess.
Do you know what units may have been there May 1944?
Thanks,
Bruno
johnny_bi

Post by johnny_bi »

First, it is Chisinau in Romanian and Kishinev in Russian ... The city is an old Romanian one , it is located in Bessarabia which was a part of Romania(the province of Moldavia - Moldove in Romanian). The great majority of the population in Bessarabia is Romanian.
Criuleni is situated within Chisineu County and it is one of the 5 biggest cities of this county ...
I shall try to dig for some information ... Something tells me that there were some German units , part of the German 6th Army or German 8th army... which were flanked by 2 Romanian armies ...
It could be the German 15th Inf. Division of the 6th Army
BI
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Criuleni is a small town on the West bank of the Dnestr/Nisrtu, just south and opposite the larger town of Dubasari on the East bank, which is easier to find on maps. Criuleni was on the front line during the summer of 1944. As far as I can judge, on 19 August 1944 Criuleni would have been held by the German 335th Infantry Division. This was the right flank division of the German XXXXIV Corps, which was itself subordinate to the German 6th Army.