Oileen POW camp ???

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

RolandG

Oileen POW camp ???

Post by RolandG »

Greetings,

My dad was in the luftwaffe in WWII and was captured. The only thing he would tell me about the POW camp that he was in was that the name of the camp was Oildeen or Oileen. It may have been near Hamburg.

Does anyone have any idea how I can find out more about the location of this POW camp?

Thanks,

Roland
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

There was an Oflag VIII C whose name was "Oil" but this was in Olesnica in Poland. It's possible it was used by the Allies, hope this helps!
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
POW
Supporter

Re: Oileen POW camp ???

Post by POW »

RolandG wrote:Greetings,

My dad was in the luftwaffe in WWII and was captured. The only thing he would tell me about the POW camp that he was in was that the name of the camp was Oildeen or Oileen. It may have been near Hamburg.

Does anyone have any idea how I can find out more about the location of this POW camp?

Thanks,

Roland
Since your dad was in the "Luftwaffte", I assume he was held in an Allied camp instead of on Oflag like Simon assumes. A place like Oildeen or Oileen in Germany is unknown to me. Can it be it's "Dinglish" [Deutsch+Enlish: spoken in German "lien" is written in English "leen"]? So I came to the conclusion you mean "Eutin". That a city in Schleswig-Holstein. Not far away from Hamburg indeed. Hope this is of help.
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

:D Hello POW!
When I replied to this I thought that if anyone can answer this question then you can. Welcome aboard!!

Beste
Simon
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Bruno
Supporter

pow

Post by Bruno »

Just to mess you all up here's another possibility

Todesdatum 11.04.1945 (Fl.Lager Ollerup)
Obergefreiter ruht auf dem Fredenskirkegaard in Svendborg,Danmark.
RF

POW Camp near Hamburg

Post by RF »

Dear Roland,

My name is also Roland, my Dad was also in the Luftwaffe & also a POW. (Go figure! This may cause confusion :D ) I got out my Dads old pre WW2 German atlas and searched all over the Hamburg area to find any town or village that matched, even remotely, phonetically. All I could locate was:

1) Uelzen (SE of Hamburg)
2) Lubtheen (E of Hamburg)
3) Wulfseen (S of Hamburg)

If you happen to locate more info, feel free to contact me and I will search the atlas again.

Best regards,

Roland Fogt