Henschel Hs-126, sighting markings on fuselage

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
Arvo L. V.

Henschel Hs-126, sighting markings on fuselage

Post by Arvo L. V. »

Esteemed forum members;

I am trying to locate some data on the sighting lines placed on the fuselages of the Hs-126 (as well as some other German Luftwaffe operated a/c, such as the Arado Ar-66c's and Fokker CV-E's); running from the cockpit area down and forward. I am encountering some challenges locating more detailed data on the sighting lines and would be most appreciative of some guidance as to where I might be able to locate same.

Specifically;

- The sighting lines appear to be in four colors, black, red, yellow and white on the Hs-126. What specific angle of attack did each color represent?

- On some photographs, one can see some small text at the top end of the sighting lines (in close proximity to the pilots and observers cabins). What were the texts? Might it be the angle of attack?

Thank you in advance for any assistance efforts, which may be rendered on my behalf.

Regards;

Arvo L. V.
Wurger
Contributor

HS-126 sighting lines

Post by Wurger »

Arvo,

I've gone through my collection to see if I can answer your questions, but haven't been able to find anything. However, I'll make an (un)educated guess. The lines are running forward from the observer's position in the cockpit, so I doubt they are for the pilot's reference just because they would be hard to see from the forward compartment. If you notice, each of the lines indicates a line of sight that is clear of the wing struts and landing gear. Based on this evidence, I think that these lines indicate safe firing positions/angles for the observer's machine gun. Does that sound reasonable?

Regards,

Wurger
Arvo L. V.

Hs 126 fuselage sighting markings

Post by Arvo L. V. »

Esteemed Wurger;

Thank you for you reply re the fuselage sighting markings. In addition to the information available on Feldgrau, I also obtained the following information from an off-line e-mail:

+++++The pilots used these lines to adjust the plane to the horizon when going in to attack a ground-target. Depending on the height the pilot had to lower the nose of his plane more or less. So, by looking outside the cockpit and matching the correct line with the horizon he probably would have hit the target far better. The different colored lines represented "attack heights" of e.g. 500m, 800m, 1.000m and 2.000m, etc. Whereas colors are better and quicker visible than numbers, especially when a pilot was excited during his combat mission.
On the upper part one can read the height (in meters), which seems to vary from the plane´s type. Mostly, these lines were on the left side of the cockpit, but sometimes even on the right side.+++++

I have also obtained some responses on another forum, suggesting that the lines were also used for photographic purposes - i.e., the angle the observers camera was to be aligned against.

Perhaps a combination of the two applied - camera and attack angles.

Thank you and regards;

Arvo L. V.
Wurger
Contributor

HS-126 fuselage lines

Post by Wurger »

Hello Arvo,

I had considered the idea of using the lines on the fuselage as a gauge to measure attack angle, but that seems (to me at least) to be a very cumbersome system. The idea of a pilot attempting to align these lines with the horizon while in the midst of a dive sounds extremely difficult, if not dangerous. I know that the JU-87 and the HS-129 used a similar system of angles printed on the canopy glass - but this system enabled a pilot to check his dive angle by turning his head slightly. A HS-126 pilot would literally have to lean out the the cockpit while diving to align his aircraft with the horizon - no doubt a difficult feat!

Was the HS-126 actually used in the ground attack role? I thought that it served primarily as a reconnaisance aircraft. Given its parasol wing configuration and light armament, I'm not that sure the HS-126 would have been an effective dive-bomber/ground attack aircraft.

I'm curious, have you found these fuselage lines on dive-bombers, such as the HS-123, that were contemporaries of the HS-126?

Let me know if you find anything concerning this puzzle. I'd be interested to know the final verdict.

Best Regards,

Wurger
Arvo L. V.

Hs-126 fuselage sighting lines

Post by Arvo L. V. »

Esteemed Wurger;

I have photographs available to me showing an Arado Ar-66c and a Fokker CV-E, both of NSGr. 11 (1944 time frame) - both show some type of sighting lines visible on the respective fuselages.

On the Ar-66, three sighting lines are clearly located in front of the pilot's windscreen. On the Fokker CV-E, the sighting lines are painted in a similar fashion as the Hs-126. Because of their location, there is no way that the lines on the Ar-66c can be used by anyone but the pilot. But then, for the pilot to use them on the Fokker CV-E, that would be a serious challenge, since the lines are behind him.

I am beginning to suspect that on some a/c, these lines represent "attack" angles, while on other a/c, they were there for the benefit of the observer/aerial photographer.

I have not had a chance to take a more focused look at the Hs-123, but I plan on doing so. Perhaps that might yield a few more clues.

Thank and regards;

Arvo L. V.