1st Canadian Army

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Thomhasj

1st Canadian Army

Post by Thomhasj »

Who can give me a full survey about the organization of the 1st Canadian Army: its division-, and corps-commanders. The equipment etc.

Thanks in forward.
Wurger
Contributor

1st Canadian Army

Post by Wurger »

I'm at work right now, so I can't access my bookshelf in order to help you much further. However, you might want to take a look here to start:

http://home.adelphia.net/~dryan67/orders/canada.html

I'm currently attending one a University with one of the best Canadian Military History programs in the country. The document collection here is very large - let me know what you need specifically, and I can probably get a hold of it for you in short order.

Given your location, should I assume you are interested in Canadian operations in Holland?

Regards,

Wurger
mikerock
Contributor

Post by mikerock »

Wurger,

Which school are you going to? I'm looking to transfer to a Univeristy to complete my BA in History starting next fall. Right now I'm looking at Simon Fraser, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

I'd like to hear your opinion on the best History faculty in Canada.

--Mike
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

For which dates do you need?

I know that the Canadian Divisions, 3rd Division and 2nd Armoured Brigade were under the British I Corps for D-Day. The First Canadian Army was formed around August 8th and had the II Canadian Corps with 2nd and 3rd Canadian Divisions and 4th Canadian Armoured Division. The British I Corps was attached with the British 51st Division and Polish 1st Armoured Division.

I am just going by memory here and can check some books if you like. I believe Guy Simonds was the Canadian II Corps commander, Kitchings was the Canadian 4th Armoured commander and am unsure of the rest.

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
mikerock
Contributor

Post by mikerock »

Didn't Simonds replace Salmon as the commander of the 1st Canadian Division?
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

You could be right, Mike.

This might have been before the Normandy battles, in Italy. I know that Simonds was the II Canadian Corps commander in July of 1944 in Normandy. I will have to do some more reading on my own country's military, eh? :D

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hey guys, I found some more info!

Guy Simonds was commander of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division from April 1943 until October 1943. He was then given command of the 5th Canadian Armoured Division until January 1944. From this time on he was in command of the II Canadian Corps.

During Normandy, some of the commanders of the Canadian units were:

-2nd Canadian Infantry Division- Major General C. Foulkes

-3rd Canadian Infantry Division- Major General Keller until August 8, 1944 then Major General Spry

-4th Canadian Armoured Division- Major General Kitching until August 21, 1944 then Major General Foster

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Andreas
Supporter

Post by Andreas »

A very good book with a lot of background is 'The South Albertas' - also contains the best account of St.Lambert sur Dives, and excellent accounts of the Rhineland battles, and the Kappelsche Veer. IMO the best regimental history written on WW2.

If you can get it in your library, get Stacey's 'The Canadian Army 1939-45', which is the official history of WW2, with a lot of explanation surrounding the politics of it.

A good book as a memoir is 'The guns of war' by Blackburn, he was a forward observation officer with 2nd Division (IIRC), and the longest-serving Commonwealth FOO in north-west europe.

All the best,

Andreas