Operation Pulawy

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Kreigshund

Operation Pulawy

Post by Kreigshund »

Hi Folks,

I am currently researching the invasion of Poland and operations conducted by the Fallschirmjager during the invasion. I have found a reference to an "Operation Pulawy" the capture of a bridge across the Vistula that was supposed to be carried out by the fallschirmjager but had to be cancelled because an advancing German armoured unit had already captured the objective.

Can anyone help me with any information on this proposed operation, such as the name of the bridge, also any information on the unit that captured the bridge would be helpful,

Best wishes
Eddie
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Hi.
Could you tell me where You have found information about "Operation Pulawy" ? That's very interesting. The bridge over Wisla in Pulawy has no name, however You can call it "ulica Zwyciestwa" that mean "Victory Street" bridge.
Contributor

never captured intact

Post by 4444 »

to my knowledge, the bridge in Pulawy (named "Ignacy Mocsicki Bridge", the shield well visible on the truss) was blown up by the Polish 9. Infantry Regiment during the night of Sep 10/11.
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Original photo from 1938
Kreigshund

Source of information

Post by Kreigshund »

Hi,

Thankyou for replying, sorry I have taken so long to reply. I found the information about "Operation Pulaway" in a book called German Paratroopers by Chris McNab. Here is the information in the book:
The German Invasion of Poland in 1939 had Student's airborne regiments designated for several operations, including operation Pulawy, the capture of a significant bridge across the river Vistula. However, at the last minute (the paratroopers already emplaned) the operations were called off because an advancing German armoured unit had already captured the objective.
I am not sure if the Bridge was in Pulawy, only that the name of the operation was Pulawy, I suppose it is possible that the bridge could have been destroyed before being captured by the German armoured unit.

Thankyou for the information,
Best wishes
Eddie
Contributor

Re: Source of information

Post by 4444 »

Kreigshund wrote:I am not sure if the Bridge was in Pulawy, only that the name of the operation was Pulawy, I suppose it is possible that the bridge could have been destroyed before being captured by the German armoured unit
I think there was no other bridge in that area in 1939, so only the Pulawy bridge could have been referred to in McNab’s book. Maybe even blown up, the bridge could have been crossed on foot and this is how it was captured.

I am not sure about the bridge destruction, will try to confirm the info.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Kriegshund,

If memory serves me correctly, paratroops were only used to secure Polish airfields already over run by the army.

One forgotten role during the campaign was to guard the Stukas based at a forward airfield in Slovakia, in case there was Slovak popular resistance to part of the German assault on Poland being mounted from Slovak soil. In the event, the Slovak Army took an active role in the invasion and the paratroops were later trucked into southern Poland to secure Polish airfields.

Cheers,

Sid.
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

20 Km north of Pulawy is small town Deblin, where is second brigdge, but i'm not sure that it was strong enough to carry panzer units. But most important is that in Deblin was (and still is) army pilots school, with major airfield with concrete runaway. I think that this airfield was more probably target for paratroopers, than bridge in Pulawy. From this airfield luftwaffe got good point to airraids over Warsaw, Lublin and Brzesc (Brest Litovskij). Next bridge up the Wisla river was in Annapol, about 80 km south.
Kreigshund

Deblin

Post by Kreigshund »

Dear Pirx

Thankyou for the information about Deblin, The book which contained the information on Operation Pulaway also contains information on the Fallschirmjager occupying Airfields,
Units were sent to occupy several airfields situated between the Vistula and Bug rivers, and it was during these missions that a fallschirmjager reconanaissance patrol came into contact with a Polish artillery regiment at Vola-Guloska and suffered some casualties - Feldwebel Meusel being listed as the first paratrooper fatality of the war.
SOURCE: GERMAN PARATROOPERS, CHRIS McNAB
The book says that the bridge that was to be captured in Operation Pulawy was "Significant" but does not say what exactly made this bridge Important, It is possible that the bridge could have been on route to an important Airfield such as Deblin. I will continue the research,

Thanks,
Eddie
Contributor

confirmed

Post by 4444 »

4444 wrote:I am not sure about the bridge destruction, will try to confirm the info.
confirmed.

29. InfDiv reached the Vistula when the bridge was already destroyed. During the following 3 days, both sides were exchanging fire over the river. Pulawy was taken on Sep 14 by another unit (??), approaching from the North.
Das_Reich

Post by Das_Reich »

Yes I was just researching this area myself. Good job Christine
Domen123
Enthusiast

Re: Operation Pulawy

Post by Domen123 »

I believe there was something on combats of FJs near Pulawy on Axis History or even on this forum.

BTW - here is a nice video (with English lector) about the history of Pulawy + some Polenfeldzug photage as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6y3vwuPq-E

Vistula river near Pulawy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2HZ9WzwMmI