Liebald in I.SS.Pz.Gren.Btl Norge 1944-45

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Mirko B
Supporter

Liebald in I.SS.Pz.Gren.Btl Norge 1944-45

Post by Mirko B »

Hi
I am looking for Info on a Werner (?) Liebald that served as a Company Commander in I.SS.Pz.gren Btl. "Norge".in Poland and Hungary 1944-45. He was wounded in Jan.1945 and came in March/April either to the "New" I.SS.Pz.Gren.Btl "Norge"(Urkut,Hungary) or to SS-Kampfgruppe Schweitzer.
I am not sure if his name was Heinz or Werner Liebald. I think he was a SS-Hauptsturmführer.
He served 1942 - 43 in "Der Führer" Reg. (2.SS.Pz.Div.Das Reich)
Looking also for another Company Commander in I.SS.Pz.Gren.Btl -Pallasch or Ballasch. (He was KIA in Pettend,Hungary 28.1.45
Thanks for all help
Regards Mirko
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Werner Liebald (SS# 498 144) was only an Obersturmführer in early 1945 when Kompanie Chef of the 4./Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 23.

Have nothing of him as far as listing/posting with Das Reich 1942-43, still an NCO when listed with Der Führer in 1940.

Mark
Mirko B
Supporter

Thanks,Mark and......

Post by Mirko B »

That is correct,he was Kompanie Chef in the 4 th Kompanie and was wounded around 7-8 Jan. 1945 near Bicske in Hungary. He is one of the guy in the famous picture from Hungary with lined up Tank soldiers from SS-Pz.Rgt.5 Wiking (Darges,Vogt,Bauer etc ).He still used the "Der Führer" cuff band at that time ,incl. the "Norge" cuffband.

Mark,do you have any Info of another Kompanie chef in Btl."Norge".
He was a short time chef of both the 2.Komp and the 3.Komp and was KIA in Pettend (a extremely hard battle) Hungary. He was born in Bavaria and his name was either PALLASCH or BALLASCH.
thanks in advance
Mirko
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Sorry, nothing on anyone with either name spelling.

Best
Mark
Mirko B
Supporter

Ok..Mark anyway,thanks for your help (n/t)

Post by Mirko B »

.Thanks
Björn
Supporter

Company commanders

Post by Björn »

Hello!
Is it sure that it is an German? Ustuf Strømsnes did lead 2. Company for a while, before getting killed 18 March 45, Ustuf Janssen led the 1 Coy for a time (KIA April 45).
However, the name "Pallasch" sounds familiar in a strange way. Could it have been "Pallesche"?

B.
Mirko B
Supporter

NORGE

Post by Mirko B »

Hi Björn

Well..now its important to see and not mix the time here :

Ustuf Strömsnes was wounded in Bicske Jan 45 and came back to the "new" I.Norge in Urkut, March 45 and became commander of the 2:nd Comp.He was killed on Hill 211,north of Inota.
Rolf Jansen led correctely the 1.Komp in Dec.44 until he was wounded at Bicske in early January 45. He also came back(after his wound) to the "new" I.Norge in Urkut,March 45.
Pallasch or Ballasch was in early Jan.45 in the 2:nd Comp. and after the Bicske fight he became the 3.Komp.Chef and were killed at Pettend end of Jan 45.
Other Norwegians that was Komp.Chef for a short time was also Sandbeck. He was KIA at Pettend as well. Here was also another experienced Norwegian killed KIA, Fritjof Rossnäss.
In Pettend you probably know that the Btl Doctor Thor Storm refused to leave his wounded soldiers when I./Norge had to leave Pettend. He was most probably killed with his wounded soldiers when the russian entered the Village.
regards Mirko
Björn
Supporter

Hello Mirko!

Post by Björn »

Hello!
I thought you asked of all known company commanders.

Yes, I am aware of the stories of Strømsnes, who was KIA 19 March 45, close to Nadap, and R.H Janssen, KIA April 45. Rossnæs was indeeed killed at Pettend 27 Jan 45, but I have no info on "Sandbeck". Do you mean SS-Uscha. Lars Sandbeck? I have not encounted him as a Company commander. Truly, according to Amund Enger, SS-Ostuf Thor Storm actually was burned to death, alive.

B.
Mirko B
Supporter

Post by Mirko B »

Ok,
Strömsnes was NOT killed at Nadap (This is just a weired story,orginally from Herbert M) .
Nadap was in russian hands and no german units was there in March 45. He was killed at hill 211 (Inota)
Yes,LARS Sandbeck...Yes he was a Comp.commander for a short time.
Thor Storm was burned to death alive ? one more of those "ghosthistorys".
Who knows ? no german troops ever returned or retook this,Pettend. He was most certainly killed in one or another way...but burned alive ?..well i have also heard somebody had a report he was alive in DDR in the 50,th.
Björn,trying to find all Companycommanders of I./Norge in Hungary is very difficult as you know the unit had high casulities and commanders was replacing each other in line.
Even the Zug führer (Platoon chef) Felix Thoresen was a short time Comp.Chef.....

regards Mirko
Björn
Supporter

Post by Björn »

HEllo!
Thank you for the info on Strømsnes. He is a distant relative of my father, and was born in Narvik. About Storm, I talked to Rttf Amund Enger years ago. Some Norwegians returned to Pettend/Hungary in 1988, and talked to the local population, who claimed this.
Enger, btw, together w. Jon Sem, tried to salvage the body of Rossnæs, with no success.

B
Björn
Supporter

Strømsnes

Post by Björn »

Hello again!
Well, the "weird" story of Nadap has reached the German War Grave association, this is what they list on Strømsnes:

Nachname: Strömsnes
Vorname: Oskar
Dienstgrad: Untersturmführer
Geburtsdatum: 26.09.1920
Geburtsort: Narvik
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 19.03.1945
Todesort: Nadap

Ihr Angehöriger Oskar Strömsnes konnte im Rahmen unserer Umbettungsarbeiten nicht geborgen werden.
Mirko B
Supporter

Post by Mirko B »

Hi Björn
I have the files and (bad)photo of Oskar Strömsnes if you are interested.
Well I know the history that Mr Enger is telling around.Differents storys often turns up. (I met him also in Oslo).
One other history i have heard is that Storm was trown with his wounded soldiers in a -sort of civilian earth bunker and the door was closed and the russian trow handgrenades in the cellar (bunker). Anyhow they are buried in a "massengrab" in Pettend (today a small parkingplace).Here is probably all I.Norge soldiers incl. Rossnäs) and other SS and WH units buried. And i dont think any civilian can point out what happend specific to Dr.Storm and his soldiers. ( i have been there myself and talked to civilians and together with a former I.Norge soldier) A lot of action took place there in January 45. Out of topic, here a Tiger Commander (from s.Pz.Abt 5 0 9 ) gets a postum Ritterkreuz for his action in this Village.
regards Mirko
Mirko B
Supporter

Post by Mirko B »

Björn,
This history of NADAP is just a assuming from them..its NOT correct.They were given by a bunch of Veterans with Mr Mallis in "spitze" after they find a hill that looked like the hill they fought on - but they were not. believe me.( i know the story of Mallis,Enger and Co)
Mirko
Björn
Supporter

Post by Björn »

Hello!
Yes, the files of Strømsnes would be interesting! I do have pictures of him already.
I will meet Enger and Bjørn Johannesen later this month, along other veterans.
About Storm, the story I heard, is that it was a vine cellar, otherwise the same as you describe.

B.
Mirko B
Supporter

Post by Mirko B »

Ops..forget about the Ritterkreuz...here Feldwebel Neuhaus ( 509) recieved the DKiG for the action in Pettend...sorry
Mirko