identification of relative in flak regiment

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

uwalker

identification of relative in flak regiment

Post by uwalker »

Hello,

I posted this in another forum and have just realized that this forum is more appropriate for my interests. I'll re-post my entry here.

Hello,

I'm new to feldgrau. I joined in order to do some research on a relative, who was a Zugführer in the Luftwaffe Flak. I am not a military person and am having problems interpreting the identification information that I have on some of his documents. I am also looking for any information about the history of his regiment(s). The last action he took part in was at Traben-Trarbach on the Moselle (spring 1945). He was wounded and taken prisoner in the American zone. After surgery at a hospital in Darmstadt-Eberstadt (I don't have the name of the hospital), he was sent to Babenhausen and was later discharged.

On the Area Control Form P4, he lists the following:
Wehrnummer: Ludwigsburg 17/9/1/+1
No. of Identity Disk: 4./ FLAKRGT. 25 151
Unit: 9./FLAKRGT. 16 (MOT)

Can someone tell me what the data mean in these entries? Except for the regiment numbers, I'm not sure how to interpret them.

It seems that he was part of two regiments (25 and 16). There is some information on Flak Regiment 25 on the internet, but I can't find anything on Flak Regiment 16. I would appreciate any information about these regiments and their history as well as any information on the flak's role in the fighting on the Moselle in the Traben-Trarbach area.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I'm very impressed with the collective knowledge you've assembled on this website!
Simon H
Associate

Re: identification of relative in flak regiment

Post by Simon H »

Wehrnummer: Ludwigsburg 17/9/1/+1: This will be the number he was given upon attending the recruitment centre at Ludwigsburg.

No. of Identity Disk: 4./ FLAKRGT. 25 151: 4th Batterie, Flak Regiment 25, Stammrollnummer 151. Coincidenatally this unit was formed in October 1936 in Ludwigsburg.

Unit: 9./FLAKRGT. 16 (MOT) I'm guessing that he was transferred to 9th Batterie of Flak Regiment 16 (motorised) at a later date. Your zugführer relative retained his original dog tag, even though he'd changed units. Flak Regiment 16 were formed in 1941 and although the bulk of the unit was destroyed in the Berlin fighting it would appear that your relatives Kompanie were on the Moselle in early 1945.

Hope it helps!
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.