Anyone been to Rostock, Lübeck or Hamburg?

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Anyone been to Rostock, Lübeck or Hamburg?

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

I ask because I'm visiting there in late July (Rostock and Lübeck archives), Hamburg for a "city break". :D

Any tips on good bookshops, museums, WW2 sites gratefully received. :up:
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Me-109 Jagdfleiger
Supporter

Re: Anyone been to Rostock, Lübeck or Hamburg?

Post by Me-109 Jagdfleiger »

I have only been to Hamburg out of those towns, the best military sight I had seen when I was there was one of the Flakturm's in Heiligengeistfeld near the St. Pauli area, the tower is a must see, its amazing how big they are when you see one in person. Here are a few links on the tower
http://www.ww2museums.com/article/1681/ ... -tower.htm

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... %26hl%3Den

and a Google maps link to pinpoint its location
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=hei ... a=N&tab=wl

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip

Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan,
Only the spirit of attack borne in a brave heart will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.

— General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe.
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Rich:
I have a friend who just spent a month in the Rostock area. His wife's relatives live there and I believe some of those who lived through the war may still be alive. If you wish me to find out more, I will try. I am not sure if you are looking for first-person accounts from Rostock, but her relatives may be willing to help. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Hi John,

Thanks for the offer - but I should be ok; I have two days booked in the city archives, who've been very helpful (as have those of Lübeck; the latter's helped by the fact that the catalogue is online).

It's a bit of a departure for me. Having ignored the Bombenkrieg for the past 20 years, it's suddenly becoming an important strand of book no.4. :shock:
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Rich:
Sorry it's taken awhile to get back to you. I am not sure how forthcoming the relatives might be, probably more forthcoming than my friend's wife; she does not seem very comfortable with questions about the war or post-war Communist rule. I thought she might make an exception and introduce you to her German relatives, given the fact that you are a published and responsible author. Good luck in Deutschland!!
John W. Howard
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Well, there's not masses to see in the three cities but for Hamburg I can endorse a trip to the top of the Nikolai Church steeple which gives a good overview of the city centre and accompanies an exhibition of images on the bombing.

The city museum is worth a visit; it's about a 20 minute walk from the Rathaus; in the northern end of the park is a Flakturm.

In Lübeck, a visit to the Marienkirche is worthwhile to see the two bells which crashed into the floor during the air raid in 1942 and have been left there. A trip to the top of the Petrikirche gives a good view of the city and gives you a bit of an idea of what was lost.

Not much in the heart of Rostock; most of it's been restored although there are some hideous DDR-era tower blocks and the like scarring the landscape. The tower of the Petrikirche, restored in the mid 1990s, is rather bland but gives a reasonable view of the city, although it's right at the eastern edge of the old town.