560Volksgrenadier in the Ardennes

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

lancer

560Volksgrenadier in the Ardennes

Post by lancer »

I've been trying to find a decent map listing the towns and roads between Bastogne and St.Vith and as far west as Hotton. I'm trying to map out the day to day progress of various elements of the 560 Volksgrenadier Division. So far everything I've come across is too specific to one particular area or too vague with towns and roads. Anybody with some suggestions
MadDog
Associate

Re: 560Volksgrenadier in the Ardennes

Post by MadDog »

FMS-B-024 and B-027 might contain some information you can use. PM me.

Mad Dog
johnlaing2

Re: 560Volksgrenadier in the Ardennes

Post by johnlaing2 »

Hi Lancer,
I've been waiting to get cleared before I could send this.
Have you looked into contemporary European maps?
I've done some expeditions to the BoB area, and find them indispensable. I recommend the Belgian Instit Geographique National 1/50000 series (www.ngi.be). Best for yours, would be 56-56A, 61, 55 and 60.
I might also suggest a German series, from GeoMap, hard to detect web-wise from a major US company of similar name. However,a really good one is 44102 Vulcaneifel/Schneifel. ISBN 3-933671-13-2. Googling the ISBN got me to suppliers with no difficulty.
These maps do not have any WWII info, and are intended to show the area as it is today, but the Eifel/Ardenne hasn't changed much, and all settlements are marked, and terrain is clearly laid out. You would obviously have to transcribe text stuff to the maps.
I hope this helps and that I am not blurting into something you are well aware of.
All the best.
John Laing
Newark Notts, Uk