Help Translate German POW Letter

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

siege1863
Supporter

Help Translate German POW Letter

Post by siege1863 »

Another letter from a German POW held at Clinton, Mississippi. Interestingly, he is writing to his aunt in Argentina!

Thanks.

[img]
Wendt-2x.jpg
Wendt-2x.jpg (194.39 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
[/img]
Hiltraut Tieden
Supporter

Re: Help Translate German POW Letter

Post by Hiltraut Tieden »

Hi siege1863,
as long as I am on a roll, here it is. :D

Clinton/Mississippi, 29. Januar 1944
Liebe Tante Bertha!
Das angeheftete Bild als Andenken an Dein Patenkind, das inzwischen allerdings ziemlich ausge-
wachsen ist. Ich sehe in Wirklichkeit nicht ganz so alt aus. - Ich hoffe, dass Du inzwischen meine Karte
bekommen hast, auf der ich Deinen Brief bestätigte. ...text blackened out ...
uns. - Da Du von "Wunschzettel" geschrieben hast, habe ich eine ganz unbescheidene Bitte, von der ich auch nicht weiss, ob Du die Sache bekommen kannst in B'Aires: Ich würde sehr gern eine Brille haben wie auf dem Photo, d.h. helle Hornbrille (für Kurzsichtige), aber mit sonnenbrillenartigen, dunklen Gläsern (blendfrei) z.B. Neophanglas; Breite des ganzen Gestells ist 11,5 bis 12 cm (etwa 4.5 bis 4.7 Zoll). Stärke der Gläser links 2.75, rechts 3.0 (Deutsche Wertung, ist es bei Euch anders?) Ich habe häufig Kopfschmerzen in der hellen Sonne hier, sogar im Januar, und es ist lästig, immer zwei Brillen, eine normale und eine Sonnenbrille, zu tragen. Das ist eine sehr ausgefallene Idee, nicht wahr?! Und nur, wenn es nicht zu umständlich und teuer für Dich ist! - Nun herzliche Grüsse! Dein Neffe Hans-Werner.
---
Clinton/Mississippi, 29. Januar 1944
Dear aunt Bertha!
The enclosed pictures is in memory of your godchild, which in the meantime matured quite a bit, though.
In reality I do not look quite as old. - I hope that you did get my postcard in the meantime, in which I
acknowledged your letter. ...text blackened out...
us. - As you wrote about a "wish list", I do have a very immodest favor to ask, about which I don't know
whether you even can get the item in B'Aires: I would like to have a pair of glasses like the one in the photo, that means light-colored horn-rimmed glasses (for nearsight), but with sunglass-like, dark glasses (anti-glare), e.g. Neophanglass; width of the whole frame is 11.5 to 12 cm (about 4.5 to 47 inches). Strength of the glasses left 2.75, right 3.0 (German assessment, is it different with you?) I often get headaches in the bright sun here, even in January, and it is annoying to always wear two pair, a normal one and sunglasses. This is a pretty unusual idea, isn't it? And only, if it is not too inconvenient and expensive for you! - Now greetings from my heart! Your nephew Hans-Werner.
siege1863
Supporter

Re: Help Translate German POW Letter

Post by siege1863 »

Thank you so much for the prompt and thorough translation! I wonder about the supposed enclosed pictures. This type of form letter did not allow for the inclusion of photographs or anything else. It may be they were removed upon receipt by the camp censor officer. The text that was redacted may have referred to the date the letter was received from the aunt. Officials did not necessarily want turnaround time on correspondence to be disclosed.

Again, thanks!

---Mike
Clinton, Mississippi