Luftwaffe burial

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
storm39
Supporter

Luftwaffe burial

Post by storm39 »

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out a little bit more regarding a photo of a Luftwaffe burial in order to narrow down the possibilities of whether the man is in Flak or other units. The burial party are shown as all wearing steel helmets and my question would be if this man was in a fighter or bomber unit would the pall bearers wear steel helmets. I'm sure the Flak personnel would but can't recall seeing the flyers wearing them.

thanks
Me-109 Jagdfleiger
Supporter

Re: Luftwaffe burial

Post by Me-109 Jagdfleiger »

In a book of mine on JG54 it has photos of a Pilots Burial, and all of the Fighter pilots are wearing Stahlhelms.
Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan,
Only the spirit of attack borne in a brave heart will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.

— General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe.
Me-109 Jagdfleiger
Supporter

Post by Me-109 Jagdfleiger »

A little more info, The book is JG 54 A photographic History of the Grunherzjager and the photo i refer to is the Funeral of Lt. Anton Dobele a memeber of the Nowonty Schwarm, All of the men in the photo minus Hauptmann Nowonty are wearing Stahlhelms, however my scanner is down so i can not upload the picture :(
Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan,
Only the spirit of attack borne in a brave heart will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.

— General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe.
storm39
Supporter

Post by storm39 »

Thanks very much Jonathan for the reply. It's a small coincidence with your photos, that I now believe that the photos I have seem also to be of a Leutnant and from Kampfgeschwader 54. I must have a look around for your book.

Thanks again