Looking for Erik Baernhardt?

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Freebooter

Looking for Erik Baernhardt?

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all,
My father told me that while guarding German POWs in N. Afrika late in the war he became friends with a young German soldier named Erik Baernhardt (unsure of the spelling, that is what it sounded like) who was from Wiesbaden. When I was in the U.S. Army stationed in W. Germany in the early '70s I tried to find Erik for my dad but I was unsuccessful. Now my dad is dead, but I would still like to find Erik to let him know that my dad remembered him and his friendship was real. Any ideas or advice?
Thanks,
David Edelen
Alabama, USA
One Shot, One Kill!!
John W. Howard

Re: Looking for Erik Baernhardt?

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello David:
I am not sure if you already know about this useful site, but here it is just in case: http://www.dastelefonbuch.de/ You would need the proper spelling of course, but it may help you narrow things down a bit. Good luck and best wishes to you.
John W. Howard
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Thanks. I will give it a try.
Dave
One Shot, One Kill!!
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Dave!

I would say that the proper spelling of this name is either Bernhard or Bernhardt. Good luck with your research!

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Thanks Krospell,
Dave
One Shot, One Kill!!
MCT

Post by MCT »

Hi Freebooter,
any luck with your search? My uncle was interned in North Africa-Tunisia-in 1944. He was captured by the Americans in Southern France, Marseilles I think, where he was in the Kriegsmarine, and then handed over to the French. The French ran the camp he was in, I think, but I know that the Red Cross updated family members as to his status. Possibly Red Cross archives, if there are any, would have this information, in German most likely, but they might help.
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all,
Nope, no updates due to the fact that my computer went out on me and I just got it out of the shop after several weeks in it. I will update later if I find out anything.
Later,
Freebooter
One Shot, One Kill!!