The Renaissance of German Militarism???

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

phylo_roadking
Patron

The Renaissance of German Militarism???

Post by phylo_roadking »

There must be a lot of...Romancers...out there!!! :D :D :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... sales.html
Spitfire, Hurricanes and Lancasters losing out to Nazi foes in kit toy sales

For decades, toy replicas of British warplanes like the Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster have outsold those of their Nazi foes, but now kit sales of Second World War German aircraft have overtaken those of the Allied forces. Sales of German tanks and ships have also outstripped those of the Allies.

Analysis by the model maker Airfix has revealed that this year, German kits have made up around 55 per cent of the sales of all kits relating to the conflict. Around 1.4 million German replicas were sold, compared to 1.1 million Allied kits. Experts and modellers say the rise in sales of the Nazi war machines reflects an interest in the more experimental technologies developed by the Germans and the engineering superiority of many of their vehicles.

Luftwaffe planes now outnumber rival air forces in the top ten most popular aircraft from the conflict, with five models, compared to four RAF planes and one from the US. The biggest selling German planes are the Messerschmitt Bf 109E, the Focke Wulf 190D, the Junkers Ju87 Stuka, the Dornier Do17 and the "Mistel", an experimental composite aircraft, in which a fighter was attached to a bomber. The most popular RAF planes are the Supermarine Spitfire, the De Havilland Mosquito, the Hawker Hurricane and the Avro Lancaster. The P51 Mustang is the only US aircraft in the top ten.

In terms of tanks, sales of Nazi Panther and Tiger models far outstrip those of the most popular Allied kits, the Sherman and Churchill tanks, by a ratio of three to one. German infantry are the most popular kits of figures, followed by British Commandos and Paratroops. The highest selling ship is a replica of the German battleship Bismarck, with around 5,500 kits sold, compared to just 3,000 kits sold by the second most popular, HMS Hood, which was sunk in a battle between the two in 1941. Of the smaller vessels, the German E-boat sells the same numbers as British torpedo boat and an RAF rescue launch, despite being more than twice the price.

John Tapsell, vice president of the International Plastic Modellers Society (UK), said he was surprised by the revelation: "It does seem slightly odd that the German kits outsell the Allied ones. It certainly doesn't mean that lots of modellers sympathise with the German cause. I think it might be something to do with the typical British fascination with the loser and also an interest in German engineering. British soldiers in the war were in awe of the Tiger tank, for instance, and that sort of interest has remained. The (German) uniforms also look very smart."

Jeremy Brook, secretary of the Airfix Collectors Club, agreed.

"One shouldn't say it but there is something about the German uniform and many of their machines, that makes them more attractive. Some of their warships like the Bismarck are quite beautiful. Certainly, the German colour schemes are more exciting to paint than the British ones. When I was a child in the 1950s, I always wanted German aircraft, tanks and soldiers, but they were so much harder to come by then. Perhaps all the German children wanted Spitfires and Hurricanes."

Although German kits are dominant in total global sales, in the UK – which makes up more than 60 per cent of the company's market – the Allies maintain a small advantage over the Germans, because of the enduring popularity of the Spitfire.

It is the first time the company has conducted this sort of analysis. Darrell Burge, from Airfix, said the surge in popularity of German models, particularly tanks and figures, had started within the last ten years.

"Across the hobby, there is no doubt that the German models now sell more than the Allied ones. German subjects are far, far more popular and that is increasing. Sales of German kits have really started to grow in the last ten years. In the UK, sales of the Spitfire – with around 45,000 kits sold – only just tip the scales in the favour of the Allies. German tanks are much better sellers than Allied ones. They are iconic as the biggest and most brutal of the war. They were virtually unstoppable. They were much better machines than the Allied ones. And a lot of the German aircraft were more experimental. There is a mystique about so many of their war machines that has translated into increased sales. The other factor in their favour is that in terms of kits, the Germans are really the only Axis power. So if someone is building a battlefield, they need Germans, whereas the Allies can be represented by the British or Americans."

The company is now planning to bring out new German models, to meet demand, including the Messerschmitt 110 aircraft, a new version of the Me 109, the Junkers Ju88 plane, and a U-boat.

None of the Nazi models contain a swastika, because the symbol is banned in Germany. The firm sells 3.5 million kits a year and up to 15 per cent of its sales are in Germany.

In 2006, the manufacturer was saved from going out of business by train set maker Hornby, which bought the firm for £2.6 million.

Top ten most popular aircraft:

Supermarine Spitfire 45,000 kits sold
Messerschmitt Bf 109E 25,000
De Havilland Mosquito17,000
Focke Wulf 190D15,000
Avro Lancaster
Junkers Ju87 Stuka
Hawker Hurricane
P51 Mustang
Dornier Do17
Mistel
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
statemachine
Contributor

Re: The Renaissance of German Militarism???

Post by statemachine »

There has always been awe for the German stuff.But people felt warm and fuzzy with a Spitfire or Lancaster.Or a P51.
An unbreakable man
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

I don't know that this is anything new - the vicarious brit hangup with german aesthetics was the same when I was a kid. Churchills and bren gun carriers are a bit meat and potatoes compared with a jagdpanther or tiger II. I remember reading somewhere that the best-selling Action Man uniform was the 'German Stormtrooper' back then.
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Maybe these figures are true for Airfix but to the best of my recollection it has been so ever since I was a kid. Every other kid that I knew that built models was far more interested in German stuff than anything else. Mostly for the reasons given in this thread and it annoyed most parents :D.
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

even when I was a young kid, I always told my mum I would rather have a Bf109 air kit than a Spitfire....well, the Germans always had the coolest stuffs, don't you think?

MP40 vs. Sten gun (MP40)
Bf109 vs Spitfire (I would say its a draw here)
Stg 44 vs....(clearly is Stg 44)
Luger vs Colt 45 (Luger!)
Tiger vs Sherman (of course Tiger!)
Panther vs T-34 (I would say a draw)
Me-262 vs Gloster Meteor (Me-262)
Waffen SS uniform vs British battle dress vs GI uniform (you already knew the answer)
Kar 98K vs Lee-Enfield (Kar 98K)
80cm Dora vs..... (you know the answer)
60cm Karl vs.... (you know the answer)
Panzerfaust vs Bazooka (close, but Panzerfaust would be the choice)
KMS Bismarck vs HMS King George V (Bismarck leads narrowly)