Wehrmacht Dentists!

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Hans
Associate

Wehrmacht Dentists!

Post by Hans »

I'm curious. In all the thousands of documents I have read etc. I have naturally come across hundreds of Unterärzte,Ärzte, Oberärzte, Stabsärzte etc. etc., and the same goes for Vetenarians. However nowhere have I come across a single dentist in the Wehrmacht. The only reference to dentists I have come across is an order to unit commanders to exercise greater care when referring recruits to dentists at Whrmacht expense, where the problem may have existed prior to their being drafted.

It's not an earth shattering topic. I'm just curious.

- Hans

PS. - Happy New Year!
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: Wehrmacht Dentists!

Post by phylo_roadking »

to exercise greater care when referring recruits to dentists at Whrmacht expense
Well...that to me would hint at them simply sending people to civilian dentists and paying for the treatment, rather than having their own military ones...?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Hi Phylo,

Thought of that, but that was in peace time. I would assume that war time would bring other dental problems which would necessitate treatment a little closer to the action, particularly as Germans tend to be a bit precious about their teeth.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Can't speak about the Luftwaffe or the Navy, only for the Army...

The divisional medical company was initially authorized one dentist with the rank of lieutenant or captain and later increased to two dental officers. In case the division had two medical companies, only one of these would have dentists. They were assisted by enlisted medics.

Each field hospital also had a dentist officer, sided by an enlisted medic specifically trained as a dental assistant.

The headquarters of a military hospital battalion had a dozen officer dentists. Further to the rear in both military and civilian hospitals there were surgeons specialized in dental surgery, jaw surgery, and other disciplines, in all cases assisted by enlisted medics and dental assistants.

The Waffen-SS was similar, although having their own medical company organization later on in the war.

Cheers
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
Fahrdienstleiter

Post by Fahrdienstleiter »

Does anyone remember the remarkable Kriegsmarine dentist in Buchheim's Die Festung?
An Gleis 5 bitte einsteigen. Türen schließen selbsttätig. Vorsicht bei der Abfahrt.
Klaus_Arzt
Supporter

Post by Klaus_Arzt »

hey, i found this one today, rather eerie i have to admit %E aahhhH!!
a wehrmacht dentist
a wehrmacht dentist
dentist.jpeg (18.23 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
  • Der Horizont rückt näher und alle sind Stars
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

auch indeed :D
united we stand,divided we fall
ghp95134
Supporter

Possible W-SS Dentist?

Post by ghp95134 »

Leo Niehorster wrote:...The Waffen-SS was similar, although having their own medical company organization later on in the war.
It's been a while since last I cracked it open, but if I recall correctly, there's a photo of a field dentist in action in Wenn Alle Brüder Schweigen. Again, perhaps my memory is faulty and there's no photo .... I suppose I'll have to check this weekend!

Cheers!
--Guy