info about this photo

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: info about this photo

Post by Tom Houlihan »

This is a good example of a quandary.

Most of us would like to hear more about what happened, but it's difficult for Crikey to balance informing us with protecting his family and reopening old wounds. Hopefully Crikey understands that while we all want to learn more, we don't want to cause any more harm.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
crikey

Post by crikey »

Thankyou bil
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

I seen to remember that officer from a series of photos showing German prisoners taken in Normandy - IIRC the other
photo(s) Include some fallschirmjager as well.

cheers
reb
pak
Supporter

Post by pak »

There is a another photgraph in this topic, where I believe the soldier with the white headdressing is the same in both photos

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=30878&p=218461#p218461
/pak
crikey

Post by crikey »

Just by comparing the ear, the shape and proportion of the man's face it is the same man. I can't help thinking about the sequence and the story behind the two photos. Is one where they are captured and then the other where they were taken to? What must have going through their minds etc.
PATRICK CHARRON

Post by PATRICK CHARRON »

Hi,
Two pics of this serie are in The book "Goetz von Berlichingen" Vol. 1 by Jean Claude Perrigault and Rolf Meister Heimdal 2004.
The caption is: "Famous US photo summarizing the confrontation and the end of the German cracks units in the Roncey pocket. Here an officer with III/37 Untersturmführer Peters with a head wound, is searched by a US MP".

Peters is identified as the same man in the other picture mixed with Paratroopers.

Regards
Patrick
crikey

Post by crikey »

wow Patrick, how amazing! There is a great detail.
Tom I did not notice your understanding comments until today..I am sorry I did not acknowledge them earlier.
Thank you for being so clear and helpful in addressing my quandary about my dad and the info here. You all have no idea how this has actually contributed to helping heal old wounds.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

In the movie - this fellow is played by Michael Bien - also known as Hicks - Aliens.

Reb
crikey

Post by crikey »

Reb- what movie are you referring to?
pak
Supporter

Post by pak »

John W. Howard wrote:The American MP looks like a member of the 2nd Armored Division. That is the best I can do.
Antony Beevor identifies the MP as Lt Paul Unger of the 2nd Armored Division in his book "D-Day"
/pak
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Thanks Pak!! It's a great photo.
John W. Howard
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Sitting with Mark Bando, as he gets ready to reissue Breakout at Normandy, I have good reason to believe this man is 2.SS-DR. The MP has been identified. The location has also been most likely identified as Notre Dame de Chenilly. I'm still trying to figure out how the LW guy got there, but everything points to NDdC. Including, how he got the wound that needed bandaging. Butt stroke to the head!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!