Make-Work Politicians

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Paddy Keating

Make-Work Politicians

Post by Paddy Keating »

The world is going to Hell in a handcart. France is going bankrupt at the hands of a lame-duck leader too scared of the CGT and other hard leftist elements to keep his promises to the electorate of modernisation yet members of the ruling party still finds time to try to push through a law proposing draconian penalties for anyone selling symbols of Nazism etc etc etc, with double penalties for anyone using the internet.

http://www.senat.fr/leg/ppl07-362.html

What are they so scared of? A resurgence of Nazism or Fascism, as in Italy? Surely not! France doesn't even have a neo-nazi problem. Note that the law refers to crimes against humanity yet there is no mention of the communist symbols representing some of the nastiest democidal and genocidal regimes the world has seen. Ban one symbol, ban them all. You'd think these people would focus on current problems in the world, wouldn't you?

PK
Andy H
Associate

Re: Make-Work Politicians

Post by Andy H »

Well thankfully when the idea of banning such symbols in the UK rose its head a couple of years ago, several Labour MP's came out and said it was an unworkable and subjective idea.

Politicians usually dream up these PC policies when the real problems are front and centre which seems to be the case in France at this present time.

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

In France, some ambitious but minor league politicians try to get their names on new laws. One of the more Monty Pythonesque efforts within living memory was the «Loi Toubon», pushed through in 1994 by Jacques Toubon, the then Minister of Culture, which made it an offence for broadcasters to use anglicised terms or English words like, for instance, «le weekend». The law also made it an offence to use such terms in newspapers, magazines and on billboards etc and, if memory serves me correctly, obliged French broadcasters to restrict foreign music to a certain percentage of airtime in favour of French music.

It proved to be rather unenforceable. Oh, sure, there were many attempts to enforce it but it was a bit like that hilarious rule imposed on British broadcasters by the Thatcher regime, banning Provisional IRA and INLA figures from being heard on radio and television. The BBC reacted by screening a documentary in which Gerry Adams, Martin McGuinness and others were all dubbed by British public school voices :D and Official IRA and Sinn Fein figures were heard speaking in their own voices, except when discussing then current troubles in Ulster, at which point the dubbing kicked in. Wonderful!

I know most people here don't read French but this harebrained law is not unlike the EU-wide law proposed a couple of years ago, banning Third Reich symbols and other "symbols of hate". The newer members of the EU, like Poland and the Baltic States, shot it down in flames by saying that they might support it if it were to include Soviet symbols too. The rapidity with which the proposal sank without trace told informed observers all they needed to know about the people proposing it.

In France, things are a bit different. For one thing, the French Establishment remains in denial about the years 1940-1944. The majority of people supporting this proposal, which is worded so generally that it might even make it hard for respectable French publishers, filmmakers and other commentators to address the period, are described as UMP members, which equates to "Conservative". This has caused surprise in some quarters as this is the kind of nonsense one expects from the bourgeois bolsheviks of the French Left - or what remains of it - and the European Parliament/Commission. However, some pundits have not forgotten that the French intelligence and secret services anticipated a Front National slice of as much as 34% of the vote in the last presidential elections in France.

Some of you will recall that the FN came second in the first round of the 2002 presidential elections with more than 20% of the vote, before we were asked to believe that France got off its collective backside and went out in droves "to keep the Nazis out of power". Well, we were asked to believe that an anticipated 34% of of the vote suddenly shrank to around 4% in the final count, in a country where the FN have been assured in recent decades of at least 17% of the vote. That stretches credulity a bit, doesn't it? We were asked to believe that this was due to Nicholas Sarkozy hijacking the FN vote by playing the race card, with remarks about "hosing scum out of the housing projects" and so on.

The Left is finished in France. Unlike EU proposals to ban Nazi symbols, this proposal comes from the Conservative Establishment. Now, the cynical amongst us cannot help wondering what they could be so scared of, if the FN support base truly plummeted from an estimated 30%-plus to just 4% :D. Could it be the embarrassing election results at national and municipal level in Italy? There is a growing feeling on the street that, while most EU states are obviously sufficiently well-organised to massage election figures as necessary, the Italians - bless them - are so terminally disorganised that they could not, apparently, get their act together to keep the neo-fascists out of power by fiddling the results.

This groundswell has seriously spooked the political establishment and the people who tweak their strings and legislative proposals like this ill-drafted piece of nonsense are probably symptomatic. One hopes that it will be thrown out rather than passed but one can never be sure that intelligent pragmatism will prevail in France, particularly at government level and especially when sensitive questions like "the Nazis" threaten to force the French to confront unpalatable truths about their behaviour during the Occupation. That refusal to confront the past, coupled with a new tendency amongst the beleagured "working classes" to vote for extremists as a punitive measure against the Establishment, has them in a cold sweat.

So, instead of trying to fix things or to make life a bit easier for French workers by, say, capping property prices, they band together to ban the swastika and to throw anyone who says anything embarrassing in jail, whilst bankrupting them with enormous fines.

Amazing...

PK
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I've read it recently that one of the things that contributed to - of all things - the bankrupcy of Airfix was the market slice they lost a few years ago when they had to pull stock on sale in Europe and repackag it without swastikas in its box illustrations and in decal sets for Europe...the plastic kit market is VERY volatile, and that lost few months was enough to put them into the red, combined with a period of old moulds wearing out and needing replaced. AFTER this they had the constant drain of producing TWO sets of packaging for each kit...though you woudn't think so from the prices you pay, kitmakers survive on very small profit margins after all costs are met, and Airfix was never fully able to recover again.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Airfix launched their first aeroplane kit in the 1950s - the Spitfire - and the Messerschmidt 110, I think, followed soon afterwards but I don't think the swastika decals were ever allowed in Germany. However, as Euro-Politicians sought more and more ways of justifying their salaries and expenses through make-work legislation and initiatives, I believe Airfix ran foul of laws and by-laws in other countries like France and Holland and the Continental European market became problematic for them, as you say. French friends assure me that swastika was never illegal in France but that local authorities, like town halls, enacted by-laws prohibiting its display.

The focus of this thread, the proposed Loi Legendre, seeks to outlaw the public display and the sale of or trade in the swastika and other Nazi symbols, emblems and uniforms and anything recalling them, with swinging fines, prison terms and other sinister punishments, like confiscation of firearms certificates, and double penalties for anyone breaking this new law via the internet or any "electronic communications system". The proposed confiscation of firearms certificates from anyone judged to be "glorifying" or "banalising" - now there's a catch-all for you! - Nazism and Nazi crimes provides a telling indication of the real motives behind this law, namely the extreme fear the Euro-Political class seems to have developed of "the rise of the extreme right", as hyped by sensationalist media.

Under this law, if it gets through, a fashion designer like John Galliano might find his show being raided and closed down by a legion of cops and special magistrates if he sent models down the catwalk dressed in outfits recalling the Allgemeine-SS uniforms in the film Night Porter. Most of you might find this amusing, which is fine on one level, but what next? How is "public display" defined, for instance? This law fails to define it clearly. If you throw a party in your house, and some friends bring their friends, does the bust of Hitler on your desk - brought back by a relative - constitute "public display". Would you want to be the test case, with cops tearing your house apart, gutter journalists smearing you to please their masters, dragged into court, bankrupted by legal fees charged by the few lawyers brave enough risk their careers by defending you etc etc etc?

I know what France is like. I was libelled on television and radio by the filmmaker - and alleged resistance fighter - Claude Lanzmann (Shoah) and some of his fellow travellers after writing a perfectly respectable interview-based profile of Leni Riefenstahl for a highly reputable magazine, which is actually owned by Jewish Americans who had no problem with the article, despite taking a dim view of Riefenstahl. I also wrote the basic framework of the documentary film, Terror's Advocat, about the controversial lawyer Jacques Vergès and I will never forget the attempts by powerful distributors in France to scare the producer into believing that the film would be boycotted, Vergès being perceived in a bad light by many French Jews, particularly those who blindly support Israel. In the end, noses were knocked severely out of joint when the film won a César award. As for Lanzmann, there can only be one thing worse than being slandered by him and that is surely being praised by him! I would have liked to have gotten my "right of reply" and asked him on television where exactly he earned the French Resistance Medal he sometimes wears. You see, as an honorary member of the Free France Foundation, for services rendered, which takes care of the affairs of FFI and FTP veterans and Resistance history, I was unable to establish in which unit and which area Mr Lanzmann was serving in order to qualify for this award.

I know I am treading on thin ice here but sometimes there is no easy way of saying things. I am simply recounting two personal experiences of how things work in France. The French, naturally, remain very sensitive about the nation's record from 1940 to 1944. They do not like being forced to remember that it was French policemen and gendarmes, for instance, who rounded up French Jews and put them into the cattle cars. They get jumpy when reminded of the huge number of telephone and poison pen denunciations of Jews or suspected Jews received from Parisians by the Paris Kommandantur in just two years. But this proposed law, one suspects, has less to do with healing the wounds of sixty-odd years ago and more to do with official fears of a resurgence of the kind of polarised popular emotions that gave rise to the interwar Nazi and Fascist regimes.

The current economic situation provides fertile ground for popular discontent. The grimly amusing paradox where this proposed law is concerned is that it was the UMP, the French "Tory" or "Conservative" party headed by Sarkozy, that cynically played the race card in the national elections, and did not challenge commentators when they observed that the UMP was trying to steal voters from Le Pen's nationalist Front National by uttering the sort of populist hyperbole that has actually been abandoned as a vote-loser by "far right" parties in Western Europe! So the spectacle of Legendre and his fellow UMP parliamentarians proposing this law is almost funny on one level. However, the implications for personal liberty are far from funny. Alright, so some readers might approve of anything that curtails the personal liberty of those they see, rightly or wrongly, as neo-nazis, but in so doing, you miss the point: we are living in a democracy, or so they keep assuring us, and the same laws enacted to 'protect' you from all these "terrorists" and "neo-nazis" will be used against you as well when you finally summon up the nerve to ask your masters, for instance, where all the money they have taken from you and your families in taxes for the past few decades has gone, given that Europe seems to be heading for bankruptcy.

Laws like this form part of the wedge being driven between Western peoples and the civil liberties hard-won by our ancestors on the battlefields and in the streets of Europe and what we now call the United States of America. They're all part of the same control measures being enacted by our 'democratic' politicians and the businessmen to whom they answer. Laugh at what I am saying if you will. But I know that not all of you are laughing. More and more people are waking up. Europe Awakens! And that, baby blue, is giving the politicos the screaming heebie-jeebies. They prefer their sheeple docile.

PK
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

phylo_roadking wrote:I've read it recently that one of the things that contributed to - of all things - the bankrupcy of Airfix was the market slice they lost a few years ago when they had to pull stock on sale in Europe and repackag it without swastikas in its box illustrations and in decal sets for Europe...the plastic kit market is VERY volatile, and that lost few months was enough to put them into the red, combined with a period of old moulds wearing out and needing replaced. AFTER this they had the constant drain of producing TWO sets of packaging for each kit...though you woudn't think so from the prices you pay, kitmakers survive on very small profit margins after all costs are met, and Airfix was never fully able to recover again.

Time has clouded your memory. Airfix never provided Swastikas with their kits. They never had dual packaging either. In the 80's after the original Airfix went bust, they (like every other kit maker) shifted over to illustrations of the built up kit rather than the fancy artwork but I believe the cause of this was Australian(?) Consumer law.

http://www.sworld.com.au/steven/models/types/index.html

Note the very unusual depiction of a swastika on the Me 262 in 1975-79
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Michael - I have a little flat Elastoplast tin buried somewhere with a lot of old Airfix decal sheets in it - for some decals made VERY good shield emblazons for 28mm warganing figures in a later decade. Airfix DID provide swastikas...

They stopped the production of twin packaging again during the late 1990s, but never made it back into the red again. If you hit some of the modelling and railway fairs around the country you can STILL buy "Euromarket" kits, kits from AFTER the change to a single unified non-swastika range - AND unmade earlier kits of the same aircraft from before thany of the changes. I have a mate in the trade who runs the last decent model shop in Belfast and trades in old kits via the Net...AND does a brisk trade on aftermarket decal sheets from third-party suppliers :wink:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Back in the late seventies and early eighties I did my fare share of modelling, planes first switching to tanks later. I distinctly remember buying German aircraft of every manufacturer except Revell since those were the only ones (of the large brands anyway) that had NO swastikas in them. As far as my memory serves me ALL other brands carried swastikas on their decal sheets at the time.
Never did buy much from Airfix though.....there was far better stuff around even then.

Best regards,

Paul
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

Off topic I know but I grew up making these kits. For me Airfix died in 1981. That is when the original Aifix firm went bust and it has changed hands many times since then. Not one of the subsequent owners added anything of substance to the range. 90% of the kits are all from before 1980. In my eyes everything after 1981 is not really Airfix
I am certain the Original Airfix never provided swastikas with their kits. If they ever did it was a very short lived event. They were actualy famous for it! Thats why the box artwork never has them either. There are a few exceptions, one 1/72nd Stuka box has them and the large 1/24th scale kits seem to have had them on some of the boxes but by and large Airfix never did swastikas. I just had a quick look in the 1970's catalogues and there is not a single swastika on any German aircraft in them
At the time very few kit makers included swastikas because they all sold in Germany.I do not doubt your friend trades in old Airfix kits but (Don't tell anyone else) I have thousands of unmade boxed and sprued kits ect. still in my possesion.
Mainly the military and figure kits but I did make a lot of aircraft as well. Check how well the High Chaperral 25mm figures looked like the real people

Tell your friend I have 5 unmade boxed Sam 2 Missiles...
a complete 1st 'window' box (x2) and Blue Box set of 1/76th figures (sprued)
a Free Enterprise II Car Ferry...
and lots and lots more!
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Some old favourites in there!!!

Guards' Band - do you have the Colour Party??? - Fort Apache - an ORIGINAL "Wagon train" - the legendary 1/32nd scale "footballers" - Mk1 Afrika Korps and 8th Army....hmmm Farm Stock AND Civilians....AND ASTRONAUTS! :D

Loved the Bloodhound kit....just a pity the Landrover and figures were sans detail :(

Never made the Free Enterprise kit...BUT - I don't suppose you've a Fairey Rotadyne in there???

I'll tell Joe - AFTER we've talked LOL

I loved the High Chapparal set...several years later "Big John" got "trimmed" and with imaginative painting made a GREAT Cmdr. John Koenig.... :D :D :D (Don't suppose you've got an EAGLE in there???)
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

Paulus II wrote:Back in the late seventies and early eighties I did my fare share of modelling
Stop boasting, pretty boy :wink: :D
Up The Tigers!
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Cott Tiger wrote: Stop boasting, pretty boy :wink: :D
Hèhè, didn't mean to boast (really not, honest :wink: ) but then again with some 80 aircraft, 70 tanks and 100's (if not 1000's) of figures in 1/72 scale, over 40 aircraft in 1/48 scale and some 120 tanks and vehicles in 1/35 scale done in 4 to 5 years, maybe I should boast 8) :wink:
Did hardly anything else from the age of 11 to 15, apart from reading that is......then drink and girls ruined it all :D :D :D

Best regards,

Paul
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

Paulus II wrote:......then drink and girls ruined it all :D :D :D
I know the feeling :beer:

All the best,

André
Up The Tigers!
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Other manufacturers have stepped up to the plate in a big way:

An outfit called SWTS has done a bang up job with the magnificent seven.

http://www.sdsoldiers.com/DSC03978.JPG
http://www.sdsoldiers.com/DSC03979.JPG

And the owner of the site (San Diego Toy Soldiers) now markets his own line of figures and recently released "Late War German Elite Troops." And it wasn't because he was afraid to call them SS - I got some and they could easily be SS or Heer pz Grenaiders (except for a mounted Florien Geyer figure) - its all in the paint job.

But yeah, I miss airfix...

cheers
Reb