Congressional Declaration of War against Japan, Dec 1941

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

phylo_roadking
Patron

Congressional Declaration of War against Japan, Dec 1941

Post by phylo_roadking »

All, we all know about things like the Japanese declaration of war arriving late with the State Department on December 7th 1941, warning of Japanese movements being sent by telegram to Hawaii, etc. - but does anyone know what the latest date was that any American units in the Pacific theatre received official word through their own chain of command of Congress' vote in favour of war against Japan and to put themselves on a war footing accordingly?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
John W. Howard

Re: Congressional Declaration of War against Japan, Dec 1941

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Phylo:
Apparently MacArthur in the Philippines was informed by War Department radiogram at 0530 hrs 8 Decmber 1941, Philippines time, of a state of war existing between the US and Japan. Not sure about Wake or Midway. Hope this helps.
John W. Howard
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

It does, that's the sort of timing I mean. Anyone know if the USN forces in the Philippines got their notification from Wahsington, Pearl or via MacArthur?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Phylo:
The US Navy informed its own forces of the attack at Pearl Harbor w/o telling the US Army forces; they let them find out for themselves :shock: Not sure about the declaration of war news. Let me look around a bit. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Thanks, Waleed, but sadly having gone through them, no. What I'm getting hints of here and there are US military units getting the War Order - as opposed to notification of the Pearl harbour attack, both by military broadcasting AND civilian broadcasting - anything up to a full TWO DAYS after the Congressional debate. Some of this MAY be because of the accident of timezones etc., but I've only got VERY few sources so far, and trying to get more to build up a pattern.
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Phylo:
Wake Island learned of the Declaration of War against Japan in the afternoon of December 8th by a message from the 14th Naval District. Couldn't get a more precise time. I will keep looking. Which locales are you most interested in?? Midway might be interesting. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I was thinking of small installations etc. in and around the Philippines. Trying to work out how long it took for the "offical" order to cascade all the way down. Even ships at sea - would their official notification come from direct from CINCPAC on an "all ships' '" or their port of assignment?