German wartime record practices

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Kelvin
Enthusiast

German wartime record practices

Post by Kelvin »

Hi, I don't have any knowlege on German wartime record practices. Regarding monthly status report of each division. German panzer division always submitted their report on the first day of that month and I suppose they summarize the figure of last day of previous month. But one report on 2nd Panzer Divison on 06th Dec 1944 showed that their armored vehicle stock of 2nd Panzer divison was exactly the same as 01st Dec 1944. On Dec 01st 1944, German 2nd Pz division had 4 operational Panther and 2 in short term repair and this figure is same as Dec 06 1944. On Dec 02 1944 2nd Pz division received twenty Panther and on Dec 03 1944 there were 20 Panther in short repair, So the tank figures since Dec 02 1944 is far larger than those of Dec 06 report.

If I assume 2nd Pz divison had counted the figure by the end of previous month and Dec 06 1944 is just submit date but It seem not make sense. Anyone have data on German wartime record practices ?
Piet Duits
Associate

Re: German wartime record practices

Post by Piet Duits »

Kelvin,

Units were ordered to report twice a month, on the 1st and 15th. Most often only the reports from the 1st day of the month are kept.
If you look closer, you will notice that although the 1st day of the month is used, the actual date is a week later.
Reports were always on what they had in the previous period.
So, a report from 1.6.44 is actually about the period between 15.5. and 31.5.44.

In some cases I have found detailed reports about which and why the numbers from the previous period were changed into the new numbers. Especially for sick persons like me, those kind of reports are worth their weight in gold. Lucky enough paper isn't that heavy :D
Nur für den Dienstgebrauch
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

Hi Piet, based upon your data, mostly German Zustandsbericht of the first day of month is completed a few day later. So my example on 2nd Panzer divison report on 06th Dec 1944 is really reflect the actual status of divison since she wrote down its exact date but other divison , though they wrote down 1st but actually is 04th , 05th or 06th ? Is it right ?

But I think is reasonable, they were fighing for life, not selling mobile and hamburger in shops, they cannot exactly wrote down the inventory and figures on specific day.
:wink:
Kelvin
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

Kelvin,

You have to keep in mind they did not use calculators back then. Each unit in the division (regiment, independent batallion etc.) sent their reports to the division, and they added all the numbers together and sent it to higher headquarters.
Do not spend too much time on the date-thing. That's not important.

One thing I have learned is not to lay too much trust in those situation reports:
a) it was all added up together by hand
b) if the numbers were too possitive, the unit had to let go of the extra men/ equipment compared to T/O&E
c) were the batallion/ regimental numbers correct?
You see, a lot of speculation.

Piet
Nur für den Dienstgebrauch