4th army documents and war diary discovered, but...

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

Jaybird

4th army documents and war diary discovered, but...

Post by Jaybird »

Hi,

I wanted to ask about a little thing I have been wondering about ever since I first read about it.

I remember reading a tiny little article in a newpaper in 2003. It said that two German veterans helped find the 4th army´s documents and war diaries, which they where told to hide or destroy in a forest in East Prussia, shortly before the collapse of the army in 1944. They dug them down and where able to locate the spot in 2003.

The documents where said to cover the summer of 1944, and where handed to the local Russian authorities.

Ever since i read that, I wondered if and when this source will be available to a wider public, and to this day, I have not been able to find out where they are being stored and (hopefully) evaluated, and if they are being considered for publication.

Even the German Military Archive, an association of historians and the Bundeswehr´s Research Institute for Military History had no answer for me.

Have any of you heard about these documents? I certainly don´t endorse conspiration theories, but it seems very strange to me that this rather spectacular find is so off limits...?
sniper1shot

Re: 4th army documents and war diary discovered, but...

Post by sniper1shot »

They dug them down and where able to locate the spot in 2003.
The documents where said to cover the summer of 1944, and where handed to the local Russian authorities.
Why would they give them to the Russians??
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

I have never heard of the "German Military Archive" I did a Google search under that name and "Deutsche Militär Archiv" and nothing turned up. Can someone please post a link? Thanks.

John
Jaybird

Post by Jaybird »

sniper1shot wrote: Why would they give them to the Russians??
Because it is Russian territory, and i guess that in order to get a permission to dig for historical stuff, you have to contact the authorities. They obviously wanted the material for themselves, and as Germany is somewhat defensive in those matters...
Joschi

Post by Joschi »

hi

i think he mean this

http://www.mgfa.de/

they have also 250 000 military books,.

the documents oft the 4th army were found in the kaliningrad area in 2004. the comes to leningrad an then to moskau............................

and nobody hear nothing,.....thats "putin.land"

greets

Joschi

http://www.ostpreussen-info.de/land/armee4.htm