What do you collect?

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
behblc
Associate

Collecting.

Post by behblc »

I collect binoculars , German if I can afford them !
Occasional awards , cased if I can afford them !
Favorite dealers ...Bill Shea "The Ruptured Duck", Detlev Niemann and "The Old Brigade".
Awards to date.
Ek 2nd class , EK. 1st Class (Cased) , DK in gold (Cased) make by Klein.
Gold Wound Badge (Cased), Wound Badge (Black) , " Frozen Foot" Medal.
Hitler Youth pin, Party membership Badge.

Binoculars.
Barr and Stroud x 3 sets , all slightly different variations on CF41 model.
Ross No.5. x 2 sets.
Ross No.6. X 1 set.

Leitz 7 x 50 "Tuna Can Type" Porro I. 2 x sets with cases.
Leitz 7x50 Rubber Armoured Porro II with case.

blc Zeiss marked x 2 sets one 7 x 50 one 10 x50 Dienstglas.
Carl Zeiss 6 x 30 . x 1 set.
Carl Zeiss 7x50 with full Kreigsmarne marking and early benutzer in mint order x 1 set.
10 x 80 beh Flakglas x 1.
Some assorted bristish sets 6 x 30.
2 Ex -Bundeswher sets ( Hensoldt). and 1 East german set.

A few shoulder boards to Feldgendarmerie and a mint Gorget to same.
Some assorted kreigsmarine valves and testing box.
Glad to see I am not the only "nut" !
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

" The old lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori. " Wilfred Owen (M.C.).
Björn
Supporter

Post by Björn »

Hello!
I do not regard myself as an collector really, but I have my private library, where I keep contemporary books, pamphlets, doccuments, letters, newspapers etc, all regarding the Norwegian "Nasjonal Samling" (NS) party. I also have all biographies printed & released by ex-Norwegian volunteers as well as NS members. I have a small section for NS awards & artefacts.
The only German units to interest me so much I have decided to get all literature, is on the 6th SS Geb.Jg.Div. I also have a nice collection of books concerning "Weserübung". Apart from that, I just got the divisional story of 20 I.D, where my Grandfather served, and I have a few other German books as well, maybe 50 or so.

B
masive

Post by masive »

Hi,

I am collecting German Postcards and Photos of WWI and WWII of all branches. My Highlights are 3 Photos from a Luftwaffen Soldier with Göring and one Photo with Dr. Robert Ley.

Marc
behblc
Associate

Collecting.

Post by behblc »

Few other odds and ends.
WW1 death / Memorial Plaques....if they are not cleaned and have origional dark finish. I have a few.

German Flags Havae 2 x reichskrieg flags of different sizes and one small Party Flag.

WW2 Medals from family members , including RAF Logbook to my late uncle who was an A/G with Bomber Command , also have his medals .

Various German minitures / pins party badge, HJ badge RN Cap Tallys , RN Officers cap.

Some shell cases.
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

An addition to the area that I collect... STAMPS! I just became a professed philatelist. My area consists, natually enough (and just started but ever growing) of 1933-45 German stamps, occupation stamps, foreign legion stamps, and related issues.

Does anyone else here collect stamps as well?
behblc
Associate

Willrich

Post by behblc »

If I can add to mine postcards by Wolfgang Willrich.....I have about 30 of them....but am sure that there are half a dozen of them which are fakes.
Kep trying to get around to having them framed or have some set up but nvever seem to get around to it.
Books.....not just as bad as yourself Jason but given the opportunity I could be !
A.E. Housman.

ramon
Supporter

Collecting interests

Post by ramon »

I collect firearms of interest to me. I have some very nice items such as a G41W ac43, G43 duv44 with the proper original scope and mount, a Springfield Gararnd with a 1942 barrel with a mirror finish, several Lugers including a artillery luger, a S42, and 6 inch 1906 Navy model. I also collect the accessories such as Snail drums models 1 and 2 together with their loading tool.

Colt 1911 and 1911a1 model are in my collection. One of my favorites is featured in the book Combat Handguns authored by George Nonte and edited by the late Edward Ezell, it is the pistol pictured on page 208 with the 4 barrel and slide lengths built by the noted smith Jim Hoag. I have since added a 22 conversion barrel and slide assembly to this set.

I have a small collection of Nambu type 14 pistols as well as a Baby Nambu.

I learned handloading from my late father and as a result all my pistols and rifle can bark again from time to time.

Then there is my collection of firearms related books dating back to the mid 1800s. I have a nearly complete collection of the American Rifleman, the Arms and the Man magazines. I own the reprints of The Rifle and Shooting and Fishing wihich ware the precursors of the American Rifleman.

As far as German related materials, I collect the Raumbildalben such as the titles for the Reichparteitage including the rare 1938 Grossdeutschland issue complete in 1- zustand. I have also concentrated on the important titles such as the Organisationsbuch der NSDAP (I have issues 2,3,4,6, and 7.) In the area of propaganda magazines, I have the complete runs of Die Wehrmacht starting with issue number 1 Nov, 1936 through issue 18, 1944. Der Adler is complete through issue 19, 1944 I am weak with Die Kriegsmarine having only approx 60 issues total. Signal is a strong interest as my German language collection is complete fron number 1, 1940 through number 5, 1945. I also have many issues throughout the run in several languages. Also newspaper publications such as Der Stürmer, SA Mann, Das Schwarz Korps, et al are in my collection

Contemporary German published books of the time with color illustrations has been of interest. Unsere Wehrmacht, Fliegende Front, Balkenkreuz über Wüstensand, Entscheidende Stunden, Narvik im Bild, and Wir Kampfen auf dem Balken form the nucleus of this part of my collection.

Finally, I love to collect the stamps, covers, and propaganda cards of the period. My interests involve both the domestic issues as well as the WW II Occupied territories, and Feldpost issues such as Inselpost. The propaganda cards part of my collection is pretty decent. I noted a kindred spirit sharing an interest in the Willrich cards. My collection is complete including the elusive E7 card. I was fortunate to meet an elderly gentleman who, as a young boy would mail his Willrich card to the person pictured for their signature. As a result, I have 37 cards signed by the likes of Galland, Mölders, Ramcke, Witzig and others. These are are postally used when the person sent the card back through the feldpost to the young boy. This is the one collection I shall never sell, as I promised the elderly man the collection would never be broken up.

Anyone who shares my interest in any of the above are more than welcome to contact me to 'chew the fat.". I enjoy sharing my interests.

Ramon
Smiget

Post by Smiget »

hey ramon

what do you own a museum or some thing?

if so what to buy a bridge :wink:

keep on collecting man!
smiget
As long as there are historians there will be arguments.
behblc
Associate

Nice !

Post by behblc »

Ramon,
The wartime magazine collection in itself is fantastic.
Extremely interesting......a friend in Netherlands showed me some guns he has.....could have set up a small infantry squad like yourself !
Rejoice !
A.E. Housman.

ramon
Supporter

Appreciation

Post by ramon »

Many thanks for the kind words, guys.

It all begins with the first piece. And then goes on and on and on and...
Hummel

Traceable objects.

Post by Hummel »

I collect military objects, preferably WWII or WWI, from which I can trace back the complete history since the war.
I just think a warrelic, as my wife calls them, is much more valuable if you know it's story. And I don't mean the monetary value.
As you can guess my collection is not big since such things are not easy to come by but you would be amazed by what still comes of attics and out of cellars in Belgium (and probably not only in Belgium).

The two other things that I collect are "WWII radiobroadcasts and music" and "items that are still operational". At this moment I'am fixing 7(two German, three American and two British) fieldtelephones and a switchboard to install in my house. This way I don't have to go upstairs if I have to call the kids. Except for the two British and one American phone I know the complete history since the war. They were part of a stockpile that went to the red cross after the war to do service there.

Well that's it,
Have fun collecting guys,
Hummel.
Smiget

Post by Smiget »

i love your symbol hummel

smiget
As long as there are historians there will be arguments.
Hummel

Post by Hummel »

I am glad you like it, my eldest daugther chose it...I think she likes the green and the simpleness of the design.

Greetings,
Erik
101stDoc
Associate

Post by 101stDoc »

Ramon: Do you ever come across attributed or documented weapons? I have a couple Nambus with capture papers, but unfortunantly not much else (in WW2 terms).

Doc
ramon
Supporter

Attributed weapons

Post by ramon »

Yes, I have. I have among other items, an artillery Luger that has the name of the german soldier carved into the inside of one of the grip plates together a letter describing its capture by the American soldier who liberated it and brought it home in 1918.

Like you, I have several pistols and rifles that are with their capture paperwork from WWII. As demands increases and time passes, you see fewer and fewer such items.

Regards,

Ramon