What do you collect?

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
101stDoc
Associate

Post by 101stDoc »

Hrm. Any dealers you recommend? You can always PM em. ;) I rarely see anything 20th century weaponwise that has any attribution. None of the Lugers or other German handguns are researchable by SN are they?

I have other items (Axis) that are attributed to persons or units, and you can usually find that stuff OK (tho rarely with capture papers...mostly carved or inked namings...which always bear suspicion from me these days with the huge # of fakes).

Doc
Hummel

Post by Hummel »

There is indeed a lot of suspiscious stuff going around.
That's why I collect stuff that's traceable the whole way back to WWII.
For example: My last acquirements are from a guy who, as a Belgian soldier, guarded German POW's for the American Army. When he passed away last year, his wife gave the items to me. A german gasmask (with the prisoners adres and name marked inside), a Mauser-rifle that he had hidden underground for several years, an American canteen, and a whole bunch of postwar gasmasks. (since after war he became an instructor in chemical warfare for the Belgian army.)

At the moment I'am talking to people who's father had helped an American pilot hide after he crashed in one of their fields. They still have his flightjacket and goggels.
I love to hear people's stories and go through the stuff they have. But I allways tell them that they should think twice before they just get rid of it. After all it's part of their familyhistory.
And in a lot of cases, after going through the whole story, they will eventually keep it. But word goes around and in recent years I've been able to talk to people and go through a lot of cool stuff.

Greetings,
Erik
If there's one thing we learn from history, then it's that we don't learn from history.
pak40

Post by pak40 »

Just for laughs, I collect 12" Dragon Corp. action figures and military models.

Chris
If at first you don't succeed, forget it.-Murphy
ratdog
Contributor

Post by ratdog »

I collect German weapons, German militaria, 1/35 scale armor models, and Corvettes.
Groscurth
Contributor
Location: Couloir Gervasuti,east side of Mont Blanc du Tacul.

Post by Groscurth »

Pearsonnaly I don't collect much about WWII unless good books about it.

But I do have a lot off third Reich poststamps from my dad and granddad who collected some.(20% off all during the Third reich, including dienstmarken). Perhaps I can do Jason a pleasure and send him some altough I almost haven't doubles, but then it will help someone.

Personnaly I collect old climbing and skistuff. and my passion since 14 years, my wine cellar.
-"Two things are unendless: the universe and human stupidity. But I am not so sure about the universe" Einstein
-Question: "Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?" Answer: "To prevent the sensible ones from going home!" Anonymous
Fratricide

Post by Fratricide »

Civil War, WWI, and WWII Militaria. Specifialy, buckles-plates-kepis-uniforms-GAR from the CW, Helmets-medals-weapons from WWI, Helmets-medals-weapons-uniforms from WWII.....
Rich Yankowski
Supporter

Post by Rich Yankowski »

Hello all! What do I collect? WW2 German daggers are my first choice!Up to about 50 right now,Heers being about half the total.I also like stickpins(over 50) and medals(mainly Iron Crosses 1st and 2nd class,WW1 and WW2.Over twenty so far.).About eight WW2 German swords, a few flags,some armbands and patches,pictures(prefer ones showing daggers and/or medals),and some odd-ball items.I also have over a hundred AFV models,but I don't consider it a collection,pre se!Here's a link to see some of my collection.
http://wmca.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s= ... =595604472
Groscurth
Contributor

Post by Groscurth »

Wow,

To give me an idea: what does a Iron C. WWI or II goes in $ (1 & 2 class) between collectors?

Thank's
-"Two things are unendless: the universe and human stupidity. But I am not so sure about the universe" Einstein
-Question: "Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?" Answer: "To prevent the sensible ones from going home!" Anonymous
Rich Yankowski
Supporter

Post by Rich Yankowski »

2nd class Iron Crosses from WW1 and WW2 will run about $45 to $95 for the common ones.Those Schenkel(sp?) variations will run a lot more!Uncased 1st class Iron Crosses will run from $125 to $200,add at least another hundred for cased ones.Again special variations will bring up the prices!1870 and 1813 Iron Crosses can run as high as $1000!My favorites are vaulted 1st class Iron Crosses from WW1.
Groscurth
Contributor

Post by Groscurth »

[quote="Rich Yankowski"]2nd class Iron Crosses from WW1 and WW2 will run about $45 to $95 for the common ones.Those Schenkel(sp?) variations will run a lot more!Uncased 1st class Iron Crosses will run from $125 to $200,add at least another hundred for cased ones.Again special variations will bring up the prices!1870 and 1813 Iron Crosses can run as high as $1000!My favorites are vaulted 1st class Iron Crosses from WW1.[/quote]

Thank you verry much,Rich. I did not know it was possible (for my cash) to buy a 1 class. 200€ is still money but possible when you are focused on it.

Sometimes I say to myself to collect stuff, but a few weeks ago I had a walk in the "Schnee Eifel" between the foxholes and after 20mn away from the road I found: a peace off a canonmouth (8 kg), a US shovel, peaces off trown away gassmasks etc.. it is still full off it there. When I walked bacjk with it, I trew it away again, almost at the road, the shovel off perhaps a dead GI was to much, to close.
Strange thing, because nothing stops me for buying Middle age things or would (perhaps) stop me for buying an Iron Cross0. But I always think by myself that it is perhaps stolen by an Allie from a German. I know sentimental...
Pylon

Post by Pylon »

I collect various German uniform items, such as insignia, but mostly medals and decorations from both the Third Reich as well as Imperial Germany. I also have one daggar, a Luftwaffe Second Model. I have several visor caps and many, many paper documents including photographs and soldier's letters home from the front.

I also collect U.S. Militaria, and have many uniform sets spanning from World War II to present over various branches. I have some US Medals, visor caps, insignia, and other random US militaria.

I have a smaller assortment of international militaria that I have exchanged with fellow servicemen that I have had the pleasure to serve with. I have traded my insignia for theirs on different occasion and now have insignia from the Royal Air Force (UK), the Royal Australian Air Force, and the Royal Canadian Air Force - all from my time spent with the RAF in England as a USAF person.

Outside of that, I collect whatever strikes my fancy at the time and when it fits my budget - particularly German and American pieces. 8)

Cheers,
Mike
ssTCB

I collect rubble (rubbish? hehe)

Post by ssTCB »

When I first visited Germany in September of 2002 to visit my wife's parents they took me on sort of a Third Reich tour, since they knew I was interested in it. Many of the places we visited they had never seen before, so I hope it was a bit interesting for them. We were in Nürnberg, and there I got bits of stone from the Zeppelin Tribune facade where some rallies were held, as well as a few pieces from the Grosse Strasse. It sort of started out as a bit of a joke, but my mother in law handed me a couple of pieces of stone and from then on I had to get a li'l bit of whichever place I was at. In München I got a small piece of the remains of the foundation of one of the Temples of Honor for the 16 Putschists who died in 1923. In Berchtesgaden I got a few pieces of brick and mortar from the remains of Hitler's Berghof, as well as a couple of stones from the top of the Kehlstein where the Eagle's Nest is located.
Morbid as it may sound I have some soil from the former grave of Horst Wessel, as well as a bit of brick and possibly granite from the Invalidenfriedhof grave of Reinhard Heydrich. Last time (Dec 2003) I was in Berlin I managed to get a nice piece of red granite (and a small piece of white) that had been taken from the Reichskanzlei and used in the construction of a Soviet war memorial in Treptower Park. They were scraps that had been detached during renovations.
All this started as a bit of a joke when I picked up a piece of stone from the remains of small steps on the side of the Grosse Strasse in Nürnberg. After that it just snowballed. My friends are somewhat disturbed that I have pieces of Hitler's house and Berlin office in my home, but now I am somewhat keen to get bits of other defunct buildings of the Reich.
Anyway, I hope I didn't bore you guys to death! Take care!
-Steven S
101stDoc
Associate

Post by 101stDoc »

Groscurth wrote:my passion since 14 years, my wine cellar.
A sign of the apocalypse! Groscurth and I finally have something in common!

Doc
101stDoc
Associate

Post by 101stDoc »

Pylon wrote:
I have some US Medals
Are they named/ID'd? Do you collect such items? Named items are always fun. ;)

Doc
DeBaer
Contributor

Post by DeBaer »

generally i collect only knowledge :D
but ive also a small and ugly collection of 1/72 scale model aircrafts, usually luftwaffe ones. collecting real militaria is very hard in germany. youre easily called a nazi and also many things are against the laws, i can hardly get swastikas for the aircraft tails (though i dont really need them).
id be interested in luftwaffe badges (a pilot badge would be really sweet) but with the swastika on it i cant get some reproductions or maybe a real one from the USA or other countries. so ill stick to plastic planes and knowledge... poor uh? :wink:

oh and ssTCB, interesting, but i hope not everybody will do so one day.... but wait- maybe i should get some stones and earth lying around here and sell it:"REAL THIRD REICH GROUND- ONLY 5 DOLLARS A POUND"
just kidding :D
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sven
-
terras licet et undas obstruat at caelum certe patet