Troop Capacity of German trucks and half-tracks

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Dunfalach

Troop Capacity of German trucks and half-tracks

Post by Dunfalach »

Does anyone have any data for these, especially for the standard troop transport trucks? I've been trying a couple of searches on the forums, but haven't turned anything up. If I've missed a thread, feel free to point me at it.

It's not as glamorous as tanks and guns, but....still important data someone hopefully kept statistics on.
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello

Every truck in a motorized infantry company had to carry a Infanteriegruppe of ten men. The rest of the space in a truck is filled up with the rest of the personnel of the company. Which means 53 men in 4 trucks (+ messenger on motorcycle)

Sd.Kfz.250 carries a Panzergrenadier half group
Sd.Kfz.251 carries a Panzergrenadier group (= 8 men) plus the rest of the company which means 34 men in three Sd.Kfz.251.

\Christoph
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

D., same priciple in almost all the armies of the period - such as the "15cwt lorry" class in various makes for the British Army rifle section and its kit.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Dunfalach

Post by Dunfalach »

So something roughly in the 10-15 range should be reasonable for most standard transport trucks, then?

What I'm doing is for wargaming, as I'm trying to take the Operation Warboard ruleset and shift it slightly to a 1:1 ratio (minus cooks, clerks, and whatnot) from its vaguely 1:2/1:3 ratio. Therefore, my goal was to see if I needed to adjust the troop capacity of the vehicles to keep them properly proportioned. In Warboard, both men and cargo items (mines, heavy weapons, engineer equipment, etc) are measured in "man-spaces", and most large trucks are classified as a capacity of 12 man-spaces of men and equipment.
archduke

1 to 1

Post by archduke »

Take a look at the KStN on Christoph's site for actual 1 to 1. Remember that your cooks, clerks, truck drivers, were used as "alarm" units, in case of emergency.
Consider using actual platoons or companies to represent larger units. For example, using a Motorized Bn HQ, 3 Rifle Companies, 1 Motorcycle Company, a Platoon of 2 75mm leIG, and a Platoon of 3 37mm PaK, you can portray an early war Motorized Brigade of 1 Motorized Regiment of 3 Battalions & 1 Motorcycle Battalion and have a fairly accurate ration of combat troops to support troops. (Keeping the cooks, clerks, etc. means you don't need to devote a combat unit to "protect" a HQ)
On a smaller scale, you might use a Company HQ and a combination of Motorized and Motorcycle Platoons, a Machine-Gun Platoon with 4 HMGs and two 80mm mortars, with a single 75mm le IG and a single 37mm PaK.
Obviously you can also do the same thing with tanks, artillery, etc.
nebelwerferXXX

Re: Troop Capacity of German trucks and half-tracks

Post by nebelwerferXXX »

German HT company: (251 3-ton HT model)
2 half-tracks...HQ...24 men
4 half-tracks...platoon...48 men

German HT company: (250 1-ton HT model)
2 half-tracks...HQ...12 men
4 half-tracks...platoon...24 men
nebelwerferXXX

Re: Troop Capacity of German trucks and half-tracks

Post by nebelwerferXXX »

nebelwerferXXX wrote:German HT company: (251 3-ton HT model)
2 half-tracks...HQ...24 men

German HT company: (250 1-ton HT model)
2 half-tracks...HQ...12 men
Soviet motorized infantry brigade: Stalingrad: November 1942
5 T-34 tanks...20 crewmen and 50 men, tank riders
8 US-made jeeps...24 men
4 US-made 6x6 trucks...56 men
1 armoured car...5 crewmen and 10 riders