Submarines and Carbondioxid

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Hans N
Supporter

Submarines and Carbondioxid

Post by Hans N »

Hi All!

I have a wierd question;
Have any sub gone under with crew and all because of Carbondioxod-poisoning???

Bare with me and just answer the question

Regards

Hans N
hubertus
Supporter

Post by hubertus »

hello hans no has ever come back to tell us.
but with subs missing there could be a chance.
hubertus. :?:
Myrtle-the-turtle

Post by Myrtle-the-turtle »

Working in any confined space is dangerous. There are physical and psychological dangers. In a submarine specifically, there is always the risk of poisoning by carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, chlorine or other toxic gases. Seawater coming in can also cause problems other than drowning or pressure, by starting toxic chemical reactions. And don't ever underestimate the psychological aspects of a submarine. Claustrophobia, anxiety, depression, anger, conflict, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the u-boats lost did so from other causes than enemy action. Carbon dioxide poisoning results in feelings of panic and aggression and very poor judgement. Carbon monoxide poisoning results in feelings of lethargy, who-cares-what-happens, an overwhelming desire to sleep and also very poor judgement. Chlorine gas poisoning = a sense of strangulation, panic, aggression. Just changes in the pressure of the air being breathed can have serious consequences, diver's narcosis for example.

I have a deep respect for those who serve in submarines. Bad enough that the enemy is trying to kill you, but knowing that your submarine can be deadly without any help from the enemy would be a constant additional source of anxiety.

Remember when the Russian submarine "Kursk" sank a while back? It was headline news all over the world, and for good reason, because it was like something out of your darkest nightmares. Of all the German armed forces, I think the Kriegsmarine, on a percentage basis, had the most casualties.
Hans N
Supporter

Post by Hans N »

Hi Hubertus!!

Thanks for correcting me, didn´t think so far!!
Sorry for my dumb question!

regards

Hans N
duncan
Supporter

Post by duncan »

Hi
The book "Das Boot" gives an excellent account of some of the problems they had with carbon dioxide poisoning and the breathing apparatus they had to use.

Duncan
seakrieg

Marder

Post by seakrieg »

I seem to recall that here was a one-man midget submarine (I think, if memory serves, it was a Biber) that was found circling by an Allied warship with its operator dead at the controls from CO poisoning.
Lawrence Paterson
U-Boat War