The Eagle Has Landed?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Tom Houlihan
Patron

The Eagle Has Landed?

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I was watching The Eagle Has Landed last night, and I saw something that got me thinking. At least one of the German trucks on Alderney Island had Das Reich markings on it.

Was that perhaps one of our reenacting comrades and his unit in that film? I was thinking that since I know DR was never stationed in the Channel Islands, perhaps the reenactors didn’t want to repaint their truck?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

I don't think WW2 reenactors were that advanced back then. Probably just an error...like what appeared to be a late 1950s Bundeswehr jump badge worn by "Hans" as some sort of Close Combat Clasp. I thought it might be a fake LW CCC but when I froze the frame, the centrepiece looked like a diving eagle on a wreath, although the badge seemed larger than the actual BW jump badge from the late 1950s.

On the whole, pretty good, especially the Polish Para outfits and the US Rangers. In fact, the uniforms in general were good. Shame about some of the hairstyles.

PK
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Paddy Keating wrote:On the whole, pretty good, especially the Polish Para outfits and the US Rangers. In fact, the uniforms in general were good. Shame about some of the hairstyles.
Actually, for the time it was made, it was pretty good. I got a laugh, though, out of the turreted .50 on the M3 halftrack! Faux tank? :D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Tom

There has never been a better Himmler than Donald Pleasants in that movie. Really Creepy!

I had the pleasure of seeing it again recently and was quite as good as I remembered.

Duval - "they measured me for a coffin when I started this project"

Reminded me of Picton on the way to Waterloo - he passed some gravediggers, jumped down in the grave and said, "this should do nicely!" (predicting his own fate in the upcoming battle)

cheers
Reb
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Fellow Cineasts!

I really liked the movie when I first saw it in the late seventies/early eighties. It caused some discussion here in Sweden since a very famous (in Sweden that is! :wink: ) swedish singer/actor called Sven-Bertil Taube played a hardened vicious Nazi Elite (as in "are german soldiers not all nazi criminals?) soldier. He played the role of Oberst Steiner's second-in-command Fallschirmjäger officers and subsequently didn't say much in the movie.

After seing the movie several times way back then, I happened to see it just some years ago and, if you accept that it do is a seventies movie, I found it still to be quite good and entertaining... I mean, Larry Hagman! :shock: :D

Cineastic regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Yeah, and exactly how old is TREAT WILLIAMS??? He must have been tall for 12 years of age there LMAO
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Admittedly, most of the "art"produced in the seventies should be heaved into a huge pile and burned...

Just the airstyles are enough to cause me to flush beet red and run screaming from the room. No - I wasn't there! I did the sixties and jumped a decade! :oops:

cheers
Reb
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Tom Houlihan wrote:I got a laugh, though, out of the turreted .50 on the M3 halftrack! Faux tank? :D
You need to get out more, Tom. :D

That's one faux pas that would have passed me by. What's the difference between a Pz I, II, III and IV again? :D
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
TPMM
Contributor

Post by TPMM »

Tom Houlihan wrote:What's the difference between a Pz I, II, III and IV again? :D
Is there any?
Since I've seen IS-2 "acting" in film as Tigers, I'm sure that the main difference between tanks is what they got painted on their armour - a star (white oe red) or black cross 8)
Don't worry, be crazy ;]
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

TPMM

Quite right! Obviously you've played toy soldiers as a kid! :D

I once arbitrarely divided my men into blue for Germans and Green for Americans - after a while they begin to look like that to me!

ps - my least favorite Panzer is the M-47 - looks dumb with a cross and is only good for fighting giant dinasaurs in Japan!

cheers
Reb
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

...giant dancing dinosaurs - remember the "Godzilla Two-Step"? Was SO p'd off when they left that out of the recent Matthew Broderick/Jean Reno abortion of a film.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Imad
Contributor

Post by Imad »

I watched The Eagle Has Landed in 1978. I still can't get over the sight of a Fallschirmjaeger talking like a Cockney! Good old Michael Caine.
LOL
Cry 'havoc' and let slip... the dogs of war
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Imad

"Cockney..."

I think on one level that worked, for me at least. Cockney is at least European and not American so what the hey.

Subtitles make a lot more sense though but probably wouldn't have been seen as commercial enough.

What really puts my teeth on edge is when the Germans or Japanese talk with a German or Japanese accent - to each other! :x

cheers
Reb
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Try watching a Western movie on German TV :D

John Wayne suddenly speaks German but sticks to English with some words- "Jawohl Sir" or "Jetzt geht's los, Captain". I almost die laughing and crying at the same time every time I hear one of those.
Bugger commercial motives, long live subtitles!

Cheers,

Paul
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Yes - pity all those poor benighted citizens of the world as a whole that have never heard the wonder of an un-dubbed and original John Wayne, or Laurence Olivier, or a Captain Kirk....! That's why I prefer my foreign films to be with subtitles. At least its only ONE man acting onscreen - not TWO!!! :D