German Bomber Loss. Wimbledon, London April 1941

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
Arthur W Arculus

German Bomber Loss. Wimbledon, London April 1941

Post by Arthur W Arculus »

Can anyone assist please,
I watched a German bomber fall in flames over Wimbledon, London during the night of 16-17 April 1941 or very close to that date either way.
Anyone know the aircraft or fate of the crew? Names etc. the aircraft came down on or near to Wimbledon Common.

Sorry about the date as I have taken it from my late father's diary, I presume he wrote it the following day.
I am now 76 and carry out WW2 Aircraft & Aircrew Research, this time it is something for myself. I remember the incident as clear as yesterday.
thanks,
Arthur 'Digger' Arculus ([email protected])
Arthur Arculus. WW2 aircraft & Aircrew Researcher.
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

'The Blitz, Then and Now. Vol.2' page 546/547 states a Ju.88A-5 from 3/KG76 came down in the garden of 15 Denmark Hill Wimbledon. Shot down by a Beaufighter from 219 Squadron. Crew: Oblt.E. Moll, Fw.k.Brahler, Fw.E.Franke and Fw.O.Staude. (Staude killed by faulty parachute) Aircraft F1+DL. Photos are printed of this crash. 6 Aircraft in total shot down that night.
Arthur W Arculus

Hello Michael,
I do thank you for your very prompt reply. I know of Denmark Hill Road, Wimbledon but unable to place it at the moment.
I copied my late father's diaries of wartime and placed them into my computer with added references of my own. He passed away September 1998 at the age of 96 living out here in Auckland and quite active.
I quote;-
Wednesday April 16th.
"Terrible raid and we see a machine come down in flames. Hear cheering in the distance. Fires raging in all directions. Cannot go to bed until 11;45pm despite feeling so tired"
He was a Ratefixer (Time and motion study) in charge at Hawker Aircraft Ltd at Langley in Buckinghamshire at the time and had quite a lot of travelling to and from work as we lived at Tolworth, Surbiton, Surrey.
I well remember the cheering which was quite uncanny to listen to. At 14 years old I also cheered, but looking back in old age it was all so sad. When I came indoors my Mother said "Remember, they also belong to someone" she was correct.

Thank you again for your reply.
Arthur 'Digger' Arculus.
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

Using my London A-Z I can only see a Denmark Road or Denmark Avenue. Both connect to each other and as the After The Battle book had 'now' photos taken in 1988 it can't have been demolished. It must be a mistake and it is either one of the 2 'Denmarks'.
Arthur W Arculus

Thanks again Michael,

I do appreciate your help. this morning (Friday here) I went down to the local library but didn't have much luck in locating Denmark Hill in Wimbledon. I will have to ask an uncle of mine (100 in Feb!!), he was born in Wimbledon, never know your luck.
Found the entry in The Blitz Then and Now' and copied it . Fortunately we have Vols 1 and 2, Vol 3 in another library.
regards,
Arthur