Leon Degrelle - 'Eastern front'

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Morden
Supporter

Leon Degrelle - 'Eastern front'

Post by Morden »

I was given that book on Christmas and read it in one day. The story is fascinating - apart from glorifying nazi system and Hitler. The accounts on battles fought and the style of writing are first class.
What's funny Degrelle always fought with soviets soldiers of asiatic origin, Kalmuks, Kirgizi etc. - as a whole the asiatic hordes. They were always brutal, barbaric, less-than-human types of beings. In the same moments Degrelle writes about soviet/russian/cossack/ukrainian peasants he met (lived with) with so warm feelings. I understand that was his purpose to write like that - chanson-de-geste and full dichotomy type of memoir. What interest me is what percentage of soviet soldiers were of asiatic origin (i.e. not slav).
The second question is about Degrelle's promotions. While for sure personally courageous did he have military background - training to become division commander (if only in name)? Was his political past important, maybe he was kind of role-model for nazi-propaganda?

Morden
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Degrelle had no military background at all, none, because as the oldest son of a large family he was exempted from conscription. Most other right wing political leaders in Belgium were Belgian Army reserve officers, and thus they gained commissions when joining the German military. This included men such as Reimond Tollenaere, Jef Francois, and Fernand Rouleau. Since Degrelle knew nothing of soldiering, he was denied a commission by the Germans. The story that he declined one was his own invention, and isn't supported by surviving documents.

To gain a complete, and hopefully balanced view of Degrelle and Walloon collaboration, see the so-far untitled book by myself and Eddy De Bruyne, which is scheduled for publication by Helion around the summer of 2003. A preview of some of the material can be found on Eddy's website at :

http://www.geocities.com/narwa44/index.html
Jaroslav Klíma
Location: Ceske Budejovice (Budweis) Ceska Republika (Czech rep.)

book

Post by Jaroslav Klíma »

Hi guys....

I have this book and its a excelent story, but this book is full of his ideology. You must filter text in book from authorś nazi position...

please excuse my English grammar:))))
army, weapons, history, airsoft