The assasins of Engelbert Dollfuss in Vienna 1934

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

KlemenL
Supporter

The assasins of Engelbert Dollfuss in Vienna 1934

Post by KlemenL »

Hi!

I am having a rather urgent request. I am looking for the names of eight Austrian Nazi assassins who entered the Chancellery building on 25th July 1934 and shot Dollfuss in an attempted coup d'état. I have so far found only the names of three alleged assassins and namely a chap named FRANZ HOLZWEBER, OTTO PLANETTA, PAUL HUDL and a certain SA-man named LINTHUBERT or something like that. I am particularly looking for any details of this Linthubert, who later escaped to France. After the assasination he apparently climbed rather high in Austrian SA hierarchy. Anyone know who he might be?

I have a very good book about the Nazi coup d'etat in Vienna but to my suprise it does not contain these information.

Klemen
US PGA Commentator - "One of the reasons Arnie (Arnold Palmer) is playing so well is that, before each tee shot, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them .... Oh my god!!!!! What have I just said?!!!"
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Klemen!

I had a document (from the Internet) with an article about the Dollfuß murder but I can't find it now... :? I read this as long ago as 1996-97 but some names I do remember that in some way was connected to this murder, namely:

Schwinghammer, Missbichler, Ehn, Gschwandtner

I don't exactly remember the context for these four names but if you google them (togehter with Dollfuß), you'll find some link to KPÖ, the Austrian communist party. I haven't been able to activate/open that link but maybe you'll will have some use of this information?
2. ?DERKAMPFWAR HARTUNDSCHWER?
gari, Schwinghammer, Missbichler und Ehn wegen. Verbrechen des Mordes angeklagt. Schwinghammer, Missbichler und Ehn wurden. zur Aburteilung dem ordentlichen ...
http://www.kpoe.at/ooe/images/februar.pdf [Found on Google]

I hope this will not lead to a wild goose chase...

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hmm... apparently, I was on a wild goose chase... :?

Anyhow Fellow members, see the followig link for additional information on this subject...

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=103859

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Klemen,

There were a lot more than eight men involved in Vienna alone.

Firstly, there were several dozen who stormed the chanellery.

Secondly, the radio station was stormed by another considerable party.

All were members of the SS. The much larger SA in Vienna didn't co-operate because the organisation's Reich leaders had been assassinated by the SS only a month before near Munich in Germany.

However, the main insurrection occurred in Carinthia and Styria over the next two days and involved several thousand SA and SS men. As in Vienna, the Austrian Army and right-wing Austrian nationalist militias triumphed quickly there as well and the rebels fled into Yugoslavia. They were evacuated to Germany at the end of the year.

Several hundred people died in the fighting. This, along with the suppression of Austria's Communists earlier in the year by the Army all the Austrian right wingers EXCEPT the Nazis, was possibly the most intense fighting in West or Central Europe in the 1920s and 1930s outside the Spanish Civil War.

This was a resounding defeat for Austria's Nazis and illustrates well that the near-unanimous result of Hitler's 1938 Anschluss plebiscite should be viewed with a great deal of scepticism.

Cheers,

Sid.