Lufwaffe Flak in south-est of France 1943-1944

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
opdd38
Supporter

Lufwaffe Flak in south-est of France 1943-1944

Post by opdd38 »

I'm looking for any veterans of Luftwaffe Flak (13 Flak division / Sc. Flak Abt. 592 (v) - Le.Flak Abt. 677 (v) - Le.Flak Abt.3.-4./731 (v) - Le.Flak Abt. 733 (v) - Le.Flak Abt. 983 (v) - 118.FBK - 7./LTBK - 5.Fl.Rgt 63 ).
who stood in the area of Orange and Avignon (south-est of France). I also would be happy to hear from members of any other witness who took part in action in this area between march 1943 and august 1944. I am currently wrighting a small project about Lufwaffe airfields positions in south of France and a kind of a problem is lack of german data from that place. Maybe any veterans are still alive ? or has been eyewhitnesing this period ?
I would be very greatfull for any assistance.
thanks
LG
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi opdd38,

It may be of interest for you to know that one of the few parts of the Vichy armed forces rearmed by the Germans in 1943 was its anti-aircraft arm. This was deployed in exactly the area you are researching. The Germans seem to have relied on the French gunners to defend such major targets as Marseilles and Toulon, which it was in both German and French interest to protect. The former wanted to save the ports, the latter the local civilians.

This may have saved the Germans from having to deploy so many of their own flak units in the area.

Cheers,

Sid.