Swede in "Götz von Berlichingen"

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Lars Gyllenhaal

Swede in "Götz von Berlichingen"

Post by Lars Gyllenhaal »

Hi,

Those of you who have acquired the new book(s) on "Götz von Berlichingen" published by Editions Heimdal - could you just be so kind as to inform if the book even mentions any Swedes in the division? One trusted friend of mine, deceased late in 2005, said that he had had an ex-GvB soldier in his Swedish Army unit. The soldier in question had made a good impression on him as a military man, and was obviously a war veteran. My friend had no reason to doubt when this soldier told him he had been in the GvB.

But so far this is the only source I know of.

So, does the new book mention any Swedes? If so, I guess I´ll have to buy it...

Sincerely,

Lars Gyllenhaal
"non vi sed arte"
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

said that he had had an ex-GvB soldier in his Swedish Army unit
a question, would former Waffen SS men be allowed into the Swedish army?
Lars Gyllenhaal

Hi,

The postwar Swedish Army included a dozen individuals who had served in the W-SS and WH. Some even as officers.
"non vi sed arte"
hkl

Post by hkl »

Hello Lars

I have the book - or both of them. I havent - yet - seen any swedish names anywhere. I have almost read the 1st book, and will shortly move to book 2. I will let you know if I find anything. That is, if you havent solved your problem long ago.. :roll:
best wishes
Hans Kristian
Lars Gyllenhaal

GvB

Dear Hans Kristian!

Both I myself and many others here, I reckon, would be most grateful if you´ll let us know more about any finds.

I do not have the books in question and doubt I will get them, unless some Swedish info is in them...

Beste hilsen

Lars
"non vi sed arte"
hkl

Post by hkl »

Hello again Lars

Do you have any other information about the person i question.? Like, what unit (trains, panzer, HQ, etc..) he ws assigned to.? And do you know if he joined from the primary establishment of the division..?..or did he join later..?? (Maybe transferred to GvB instead of Nordland or Wiking in the last days..??..maybe difficulties in getting to th latter 2 divisions late in the war..??. Well, lots of questions, but it might be a little easier, if I knew where to look... :D

Ill be in touch
Lars Gyllenhaal

GvB

Hi again,

I am glad you are a helpful type of guy!

I am largely speculating now, from my not crystal-clear memory. But I believe this guy was either a squad leader in a regular grenadier company, or just a private in one.

I cant even speculate about when he joined and left GvB.

Good hunting!

Lars
"non vi sed arte"