3rd Battle of Kharkov - German losses

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Morden
Supporter

3rd Battle of Kharkov - German losses

Post by Morden »

Can anybody of you guys can help me with finding data concerning german losses in the period February - March 1943 in Army Group "DON" and "B" - later "SOUTH".
I'm also interested in equipment losses.
If you could also tell me what your sourcer are it would be perfect!
Thanks in advance!

Till now I found that (for whole Eastern Front):

February 112.000 Abgänge (kia,wia,mia,sick) (91.000 Zugänge)
March 170.000 Abgänge (124.000 Zugänge)
Doc. Gen.StdH Nr. I/10388/43 of 14 December 1943 - The numbers appear in the document section of OKW-diaries 1943 and base on the 2nd Feldarzt Report (Field Surgeon General).

Abgänge means departures from (statistical) existance and includes all thinkable reasons.
Zugänge means ingresses (replacements incl. recoveries)

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=2844
Jan 1943 180.310
Feb 1943 68.330
Mar 1943 46.066

But I don't know what categories are included. Maybe only kia and mia and disabled but not wounded that can be returned?
Source: "Deutsche militärische Verluste im Zweiten Weltkrieg" by Rüdiger Overmans

Morden
Qvist
Banned

Post by Qvist »

Hello Morden

Overmans' figures (quoted on AHF) are fundamentally incompatible with the categories used in contemporary reporting, as they are a) extrapolated from a set of statistical samples and b) in principle are intended to cover all deaths - including dead from wounds at later times, dead from accidents and illness and also dead in captivity. They are a statistical exercise with little application to such issues as losses in individual battles.

This is unfortunately one period for which I do not have many data. The OKW war diary overview I have limited confidence in - in many ways it gives the impression of being a rather approximate exercise, although it is probably roughly instructive.

cheers